Amp For TWO 12" MM124

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just purchased 2 12" Polk/Momo MM124's i was lookin on here an i saw that a good amp for them would be the USAmps 1000x that pushed around 1400watts. But then i was lookin and saw the 2000x amp from USAmps. was wonderin what would be the better amp like cost wise an what would be more efficent in my situation. the subs are in a Q-Logic TYPE 1 DOUBLE 12" (QLH-.8512DE).. am i going in the right direction here?? btw i gotta 2000 grandprix so gimme some input guys.. thnx.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    i would not go anymore than than 700watts on those subs...thats probably their physical limits right there
    far as amps go, USAmps is a pretty good brand, but dont get q-logic boxes...theyre crap
    you want a box made out of 3/4" MDF or better
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    also i have 2 6"x9"s (110 RMS each / 330watt peak each INFINITY KAPPA 693.5i 6"x9"3-way) not sure on the ohms

and plan on gettin (Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 5-1/4" Component system) which is 4ohms 100 RMS each / 200watt peak each.

an was wonderin what would be a good amp for those also yea i plan on havin 2 amps. lookin forward to seein your guys input.. thnx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    so the usamps 1000x?? an u know anyone that makes them good box's? ideal for the momo's
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    go with the usa-1000, not the 1000x, my mistake
    the 1000 does 1000wx1@2 ohms
    the 1000xdoes 1000wx1@4 ohms
    as far as boxes go...go to your local car audio shops..they have the best boxes
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    if you dont find anything good locally -- go to www.sounddomain.com/shop

click on subwoofers
    click on enclosures

click on "R/T" brand

scroll down to the 3/4" mdf dual 12" small box -- its prolly like 80 bucks or 90 bucks.

decent box.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    k that box looks pretty good :) but about the amp situation i wanted 1 amp fer the momos then another amp for the 6x9's an 5 1/4's so the 1000x or 1000 for momo's ?? little confused here :P
    thnx for the help tho i apreciate it
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    USA-1000 Only
    One Ohm Stable
    150 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    232 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    300 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    500 Watts x 2 into 1 Ohms
    500 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    664 Watts Bridged into 3 Ohms
    1000 Watts Bridged into 2 Ohms
    Available in Black or Chrome

USA-1000X Only
    Two Ohm Stable
    300 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    400 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
    500 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
    1000 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    Available in Black or Chrome

.... so the USA-1000 NOT the 1000x. got it? same amp, just set up to run at different impedances - one is geared to put out 1k+ at 2 ohms, the other do to the same power at 4 ohms. so go w/ the 1000, parallel the subs (2 ohm load) and then run the amp bridged to the parallelled subs.

as far as yoru other gear...

you can do the US Amps USA-4300X -- that'll do 75 x 4 to your highs...

or go something a little beefier... like do a USA-400X up front (100 x 2 to components) and then a USA-200X in rear (50 x 2 to your 6x9's)... you'll wnat the staggered power... a decent comp set allows you to do proper staging, in which case you want like double or triple the power going to your fronts as you want going to yoru rears (rough figures - play with it once its in the car, but its something to sorta judge by to begin with).

if u're dead on wanting a 4 channel not two 2's, then u can try like a HiFonics Nemesis NX880 - that'll do 100 x 4 into 4.

the best setup however will be a separate amp for front and rear -- in which case i say do not take our sole reccomendations, do your homework, look around - spend 3 nights with no sleep on the internet hunting amps. you will eventually come across one that is like 150 - 200 x 2 and clean for the front and another that's like 50 - 75 x 2 for the rears that you'll be comfortable with -- and prolly at a decent price... remember, there is no sin in bridging a 4 channel to run 150 or 200 x 2 to your fronts if you cant find a 2 channel that'll do that power that's in your price range. it wont sound any different as long as its a good amp.

however if i hadda buy two amps right now - and i was doin yoursetup.. this is what i'd get...

MTX Blue Thunder Pro 150x2 -- about 140 - 160 x 2 at 4 ohms (ignore the listed specifications... its as underrated as doug flutie) http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/product.cfm?PN=PRO150X2R --> refurbed from the factory at 150

MTX Blue Thunder Pro 752 - is on the same website for like 100 as well...
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    also is a capacitor good for what i got. an am i goin to need gauge or 1/0 gauge wirein or does it matter??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    go to www.speedsound.com for the usamps, they have the US 1000 for 609.95 + shipping. its the best price i've found so far
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    **** on ebay its $425.00 + shippin :\ sayin factory sealed new in box good feedback.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    i was gonna say - ya on ebay they're like 4 -- go ebay - -save 200...

far as a cap -- i'd get two.

and a large battery (preferably a single 900 - 1000 CCA under the hood in place of the factory batt - upgrade alt wiring to 0 gauge - run 0 gauge all the way back to the caps -- run 0 or 2 gauge from caps to usa1000 -- run 4 or 8 gauge from caps to other amps.)
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    would i really need a whole new battery?? cuz once the cars started it all runs off the alternator anyways dont it? or should i just get one of those red top batterys cause its better for my sounds?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    no, your alternator recharges the battery once the car is started and the vehicle takes it power from the battery
    red top as in optima?
    optima is a very good brand
    i need to get one of their yellow tops
    has anyone heard anything about the rockford fosgate car batteries?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    personally i tend to avoid ebay for any purchase over $200. that and speedsound is even listed with the Better buisness buero (i cannot spell....) they are a ligitimate store (with a real building with real car audio too ;D) not a basement dealer. i put a lot of trust in them. while it may be 200more you know that you're not gonna get screwed... just cause they say on ebay that the manufacturer warranty is valid doesn't mean that it realy is...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    the mtx thunde1501d sounds freaking great on those subs... one of the guys that used to work with me has 2 mm12's with a 1501 in his infinity and i think he actually got sponsored by polk @ nopi 1 year ago....

scotty hall
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    the downside is that the 1501D is NOWHERE near as clean as the US 1000
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    81000D was bad -- 1501 is an ever livin piece of garbage.

every year mtx's specs go lower and lower and lower... the performance specs other than sheer power are very poor on the 1501D, but its still just like barely on that line of "ok i'd still buy it". if mtx gets any worse, then i can actually say i would not buy it.

i only use the 81000D's by virtue of the fact of 1) i'm poor and cant afford any better... 2) i knew i wouldn't have a problem with them... as such i could buy them off ebay for 300-350 each at the time and not worry abouyt them breaking and needing repair.

given the opportunity, and given a little more money to somehow beef up the charging system, i'd have gone with USamps or Tru Tech, maybe even Cadence.

again though -- money comes into play.
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited October 2003
    I've Found that the Alpine mrd-m500 sounds great with those subs...
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    the alpine's not a bad amp but it doesn't compare to the USAmps 1000.

compare...
    Alpine MRD-M500
    Class D Mono
    500x1 @2ohms
    frequency response 20-200hz (not the greatest low frequency)
    signal to noise ratio 90 dBA
    1% THD at rated power (DIRTY!!)

USAmps US-1000
    Class AB two ch
    1000x1 @2ohms
    frequency response 5hz-50khz (damn good full range response)
    signal to noise ration 105 dBA
    <0.006% THD at rated power (you'd have to be deaf to not notice the difference between 1% and .006% THD)

Unfortunately neither listed slew rate or dampening factor but i would stake my left nut on the fact that US has alpine beat on both factors.

all in all the us 1000 would outperform two alpine mrdm500's in every category
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited October 2003
    every category cept for price:)
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    I beg to differ cody,while techincally the price of the us is higher it's also a MUCH better value.
    the us 1000 can be had new in box with warranty from an authorized online dealer for 610+ shipping, from crutchfield the alpine costs 500, 110 dollars more for double the power, a fraction of the THD, an extra 15hz of low end, a 15dBA boost in signal to noise ratio, and (probably) a much higher dampening factor? i'd say it's definately worth the cost, also keep in mind that you're only getting 250w/sub which i do believe is underpowering them. with a 110 dollar difference i'd say it's definately worth it
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    USamps?? Are you for real?? They're a Walmart brand car audio! Cheap way over rated crap. The numbers for their amps are unrealistic for such a low price. As with anything if its to good to believe it probably isn't worth it. This comes from 7 years of experiance working car audio sales and install.

If you want to power 2 MOMO 12s go with a real amp like Polk/MOMO, JL, PhoenixGold, Orion, PPI, Kicker, Eclipse, Nakamichi, or Xtant. If you're short on cash go with MTX or Audiobahn, they're not as clean as the others I listed but ther're still realy nice for the investment. Alpines are really clean but lack in raw power. They are so over rated and over priced you'd be stupid to waste money on them.

And for MTXMAN the 1501d is unbelievable. In my daily driver I have:

2 pairs Infinity KAPPA 63.5I 6-1/2" 3-way multielement
    2 pairs Infinity KAPPA PERFECT 6.1 6-1/2" Component System
    2 Infinity KAPPA PERFECT 10 VQ