Houston, the DQ's have landed...

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited September 2003 in Speakers
A couple nicks/chips on the rear, cloth ok, sides ok, haven't removed the grilles yet, but the woofs seem to play fine.

$100

I had forgotten how really impressive they really do sound. Low-mids all the way out to infinity has got to be one of best at any price. Apparently, I've been spoiled by the SRS bass, but then again, I haven't verified the surrounds are ok, and they are sitting on the carpet.

More to come, I hope to disassemble them tonight, and get the values on the crossover written down, start pricing upgrades.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,082
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ONE HUNDRED BUCKS????????????????????? HOLY $)_+(@)(@#)(****_)****)(****@($_)@(_****_)****(_@(_$
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll second that "holy ****" :eek:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Pics...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Pics coming tomorrow, just got winded taking ONE grill off.

Dust BIG time. Everything under the grill is dirty, not caked, but needs a good cleaning. The top array, all 4 drivers appear and sound PERFECT. The foam on the Advent woof is just starting to crack and basically 'go away'. Re-foam is definately in the works. Good news is I found a local contact for such a job, and the price is RIGHT. ($25/peice for butyl rubber or treated foam) Even then, I'm still only at $150 for the pair.

Weird thing is though, the surrounds on the Advent woof are inverted... I don't remember seeing DQ's with inverted surrounds. The woofs are definately originals, perhaps they were refoamed before? Perhaps I'm just wrong thinking they weren't inverted?

This will be a fun project, and will keep me grounded so to speak. I've gotten off easy with the SRS's and some other finds, nothing like a little work, effort, and learning to keep you humble and appreciative. It will be nice to 'restore' these back to original, and perhaps do some upgrades along the way.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The "reverse roll" of the DQ woofer is the proper installation of the surround. Not sure if it's purpose is anything more than to generate a different look from Advent.

Kind of surprosed you aren't rolling your own there Russ...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hell YEAH....my brotha getting his 5 way phased array on. 150 bones all in. You CAN'T beat that. Arguably one of the finest speakers ever produced. The midrange on the DQ-10 is nothing short of magic. Great find.

I would recommend leaving the mesh grills on the back off (easier to clean). I haven't done it but I've heard that attaching some soft felt like fabric to the small masonite baffles is also a good idea.

I've got all the original manuals, brochures, schematics and a couple of reviews etc....I'll get my Kinko on and make copies for you and Tour2ma.

I tell you guys, excercise a little patience and look around a little and the deals ARE out there. For a fraction of what inferior new gear costs, you can bag some REAL quality gear for a song and the only thing that is missing is the new car smell and a painful Visa bill.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD

I tell you guys, excercise a little patience and look around a little and the deals ARE out there. For a fraction of what inferior new gear costs, you can bag some REAL quality gear for a song and the only thing that is missing is the new car smell and a painful Visa bill.

BDT

Mr Troy I am looking forward to life back in a larger city where I can take full advantage of your advice. Just a little tougher when your in a small town environment.

I closed on my house last night and my plan is almost fully executed. The wife is happy, "She picked it and I payed for it;) ", and a 200 mile move is right around the corner.

HBomb soon to be Twin:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Russ,
    My Dad said he will give you 100 dollars if you can find a pair of 1.2's for under 1,200-300.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    HBomb,

Good on ya! Got room for a mancave in the new abode??

I'll grant that a larger metro area has more opportunities. I'm jealous of the selection of pawn and thrifts at Russ's disposal. Shoot when I went to visit, we cruised all day and still didn't hit all of them. However, you never know. The Amazings were in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, not exactly a major metropolis. The deals ARE out there though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Russ:

I've read the use of butyl or santoprene will alter the T/S parameters of the Advent woofer. Try to find a new foam surround kit that meets the OEM spec.

Ed
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Russ

www.simplyspeakers.com -- they have foam surrounds for the advents. We bought some for the advent pair I have. They are good, good luck!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    HBomb,

Got room for a mancave in the new abode??

The mancave, "StoneHenge" is 1 order of magnitude less in ft^3 and the first shipment is the DVD player, power amp, 2 SVS subs, cs400i and a subsonic filter. I will run freq response and spl checks prior to my girls showing up. When they are safe and sound I'll go back into planning ;)

1/4 Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Russ:

I've read the use of butyl or santoprene will alter the T/S parameters of the Advent woofer. Try to find a new foam surround kit that meets the OEM spec.

Ed

Actually, they have some that were designed specifically for the Advents. I read you loud and clear, from what I've heard the advents need a real 'loose' surround to get air moving in the sealed enclosure. If you just 'throw' a rubber surround on it, you kill the bass, and to begin with, the DQ's aren't the leasebreakers the original Advents were.

Cheers,
    Russ

Beer drinkin, and a pic of the what could be the UGLIEST speaker in the world, coming right up.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2003
    Options
    http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/Advent.htm

Layne Audio has both replacements and offer re-foaming, just throwing out some info.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Beer drinkin, and a pic of the what could be the UGLIEST speaker in the world, coming right up.

Must have been some bender you went on there Russ - still waiting for that first pic!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sleepin' on the job, sorry fellas. Here we go.

Dq10 naked....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Dome tweeter and dome midrange....

The tweeter is German-made from what I've read, the dome mid screams Scanspeak (very similar to the one's I've seen in Splendors). No one seems to be clear on exact model numbers, one thing that is clear - they aren't made anymore.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The phased array - dome tweet, dome mid, Motorola piezo, and Phillips mid...

Notice the layer of dust just below the array.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    And last, but certainly not least, the legendary 9.5 inch Advent woof, with reverse roll, and fiberboard....

You can clearly see the surrounds starting to give...
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Very nice Russ. They're not the best looking speakers but I bet they sound wonderful. How low do those Advents go?

Maurice
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I truely have never seen these kind of speakers, do they have grills? or a case or something, just curious...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Organ,

I agree, she's not a looker that's for SURE. About the only thing uglier in my book, might be an old AR3, especially the tweeter. What a mess to look at, but a delight to listen to.

As far as the Advent goes, it's strange actually. I'll get some solid numbers after the re-foam, but the DQ's as I remember are pretty much solid to 40 - 42Hz.

Take that same driver, in the original Advent speakers, and you would make it flat down to 30Hz, and with the acoustic suspension design it was a gradual roll down from there.

I'm convinced there is some sort of bass limiting on the DQ10's, becuase as I've said before, they are not the lease-breakers the old Advents were. (esp if you stacked 2 pair in series, and ran 500 watts of Hafler through em ;) )

Faster,

First pic, to the left and behind is the grill.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    faster,
    These speakers, like most people, have no business running around naked. Dressed up they actually have nice eye appeal.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Tour, thats a beaut.....not that ugly speaker i just saw....lol
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    now those look pretty nice, Agreed naked is not real pleasing...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That's some serious bass. I'm sure your ears are spoiled by the SDA's bass performance but I bet the mids sound very sweet on the DQ's.

They actually look very sexy with the grilles on.

Maurice
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs