MM6501 vs. DB6501

Options
bobbyb01
bobbyb01 Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello - I am currently updating my 2008 Chevy Silverado extended cab truck with a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT navigation ready HU. This is an extra vehicle, so
I only want to replace the 4 stock 6.5" speakers (w/2 separate tweeters on the windshield posts). I'm not planning any separate amp or sub. I've been looking at MM6501 and DB6501. The sales guy at Fry's said that unless I had an amp, the DB's would sound virtually as good as the MM's. He said the MM's needed an amp to really stand out. I realize he's trying to save me money, but I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if there would be a noticeable improvement with the MM's. Even with only a HU in the store, the MM's seemed to sound a little better, but I don't know how that will translate inside my truck. What do you think?
Post edited by bobbyb01 on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bobbyb01 wrote: »
    Even with only a HU in the store, the MM's seemed to sound a little better, but I don't know how that will translate inside my truck. What do you think?

I am betting all the speakers in the store are hooked up to amps, not being driven by just the head unit. If thats the case than what the salesman told you is correct.

I have had 2 sets of the db6501's in my Jetta for about 5 years and I have been most pleased with their sound. I do however use an external amp to power them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • bobbyb01
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thanks - maybe I'll have to consider getting the amp to do this properly.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bobbyb01 wrote: »
    Thanks - maybe I'll have to consider getting the amp to do this properly.

And keep in mind you dont need a super powerful amp (thought thats what I am using).

A good dedicated amp will make your speaker sing in ways you may not imagine and can be quite small.

You could even just amp the front two speakers and leave the rear's connected to the headunit. Thats what most would recommend.

I just went from all 4 speakers on an amp down to 2 (but with a more powerful amp) and I cant even tell my rear's are disconnected. I would hook them up to the headunit but one of my crossovers blew and I havent replaced it yet :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just cause your vehicle has 4 stock locations, doesn't mean you should run 4 sets of speakers..

You don't need rears. For the fronts, if you are not running an amp then go with the 651. The 6501 with an amp will blow the 651 out of the water.

Decide what you want.
  • bobbyb01
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice.