Finally installed SR comps - impressions and questions

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited May 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm off to 3,000+ miles road trip next weekend so i took my SR124 out of the trunk together with PA1200.1 to get the most out of my trunk space and get rid of some weight (totaling 80lbs :eek:) I also cut up my amp rack as much as i could to get even more trunk space.

I tried replacing my MMC6500's with SR6500 but used SR set i got did not come with mounting adapters for woofers and on top of that even after i've cut rings out of 3/4'' mdf woofers still didn't go all the way in since apparently they are true 6.75 and don't fit in my 6.5'' speaker opening. Instead of starting cutting up my door to make a bigger opening i decided to install SR5250 for now and get back to SR6500 when i get Polk's adapter rings.

Comments/questions. Keep in mind everything here is bi-amped:

I run MMC6500 with SR6500's passive x-overs for a few days - i don't know if it's placebo effect but those momos seemed to get louder right away. Same setting/songs but somehow more volume. Do passive x-overs really make that much of a difference or am i imagining this??
This might have some to do with it but not THAT much - tweets got a bit brighter since i had run them on -6db setting on momo's x-overs and -3 on SR's

Then i switched to SR5250 - full set, 5250 woofer/tweet/xover.
5250 woofer looks pathetic comparing to MMC6500's heavyweight tank. Thru out entire process of installing it i thought to myself "i'm gonna regret this, there's no way in hell these tiny pathetic (good looking no doubt but damn pathetic) 5250's will have a chance to even compare to momos in bass department, i'm gonna regret this...."
Boy was i wrong!
I don't know how it's possible for such small speakers to put out THAT MUCH BASS that's sooooo punchy and clean at the same time!! I'm really excited and happy i got them!! Can only imagine what SR6500's gonna sound like once i get them done after my trip.
Can't say there's night and day difference between MMC6500 and SR5250 but SR's are def punchier in lower frequencies and clearer overall. SR tweets are a lot more gentle on your ears and sound more "natural" rather then momo's "robotic" sound.

Here's some questions:

1. I'm gonna call Polk after this long weekend to see if they have any SR6500 install hardware/adapter rings left but in case they don't - anyone here that doesn't use them and can sell them to me?

2. (same as already asked) - do passive x-overs really make a huge difference as to volume or do i simply wanna believe in it?

3. Sr x-overs are huuuge in size! 2 of them are almost a size of a regular amplifier. I wanted to go active for a while and now there's an extra push towards it - get less footprint lol (2 SR x-overs VS 1 active one)
If i let's say get Memphis active 3-way (2way front + sub) - will it make it any better in sound?
Will it make the sound WORSE seeing how incredible those SR passives are.

Sorry for so much text to read thru, I'm gonna post some install pics on tuesday when i'm back in the office for visual pleasure :)
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you have the tweeters mounted apart from the mids, yes it will sound better. You get those babies both cut off at 4 KHz @ 24 db/octave, itll make a big difference. If theyre mounted really close to each other, Id stick with the passive as thats how they were designed, both mid and tweet next to each other.

What rings are you talking about? The tweeter rings? You can use some PVC end caps and fab up some mounts for the tweets. This way you dont have to cut a freaking 2" hole in your dash or wherver. Just a 3/8" hole.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Tweets are behind the sideview mirror aimed towards the opposite seat's headrest and woofers are in stock location at the bottom of the door. About 2 and a half feet or so apart.

And rings im talking about are for woofers. They are 6.75 and dont fit in my 6.5opening even with 3/4" mdf ring. As per sr manual there's an adapter made to fit those woofers perfectly and give some clearance AND another one to raise them up a bit more if needed. In my case its needed.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just grab you some MDF and cut you some out. Itll be a lot cheaper than buying them from Polk unless you can sweet talk them into sending you some free ones and since they havent made the 6's in a good while now, you might be out of luck.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Vital wrote: »

Here's some questions:

1. I'm gonna call Polk after this long weekend to see if they have any SR6500 install hardware/adapter rings left but in case they don't - anyone here that doesn't use them and can sell them to me?

MDF Rings as already mentioned. I use two rings of 1/2" each and then shape them so that one side of the rings is slightly thinner than 1/2". Now when I mount my mids, the are slightly more on axis. Helps with managing the frequency response while tuning. The two 1/2" rings give a really secure install. Touch wood, I have never had vibration issues.

To mount the 6.75" mid you need rings with an internal dia of about 5.75-6.00". I have these rings mounted on a 5x7 frame. As long as depth is not an issue, you don't need a 6.75" to mount the SR 6.5.
    2. (same as already asked) - do passive x-overs really make a huge difference as to volume or do i simply wanna believe in it?

The passives aren't giving more power. The difference you're hearing probably has to with the different xover points. Due to the higher xover of the SR passive, you're hearing more from the mid driver. Turn the tweets down from the gains if you cant do enough from your hu or passive. My tweets are attenuated by -8db L/R.
    3. Sr x-overs are huuuge in size! 2 of them are almost a size of a regular amplifier. I wanted to go active for a while and now there's an extra push towards it - get less footprint lol (2 SR x-overs VS 1 active one)
    If i let's say get Memphis active 3-way (2way front + sub) - will it make it any better in sound?
    Will it make the sound WORSE seeing how incredible those SR passives are.

Active is always better than passive. But only if you have enough dsp to take advantage of being active. Sorry thats a lame explanation but just setting the basics in place.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2011
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I have not heard the 6500's, but I have no desire to. The 5250's are incredible.

Yes they are. The difference between the 5.5 and the 5.25 comes thru on the opening notes of 'Tea in the Sahara' by Police. The opening notes are on an upright bass and the 6.5's with the right blend with the sub can get visceral and lifelike on the notes. The 5.25's are close to lifelike.

IMHO it also depends on the tweeter you're running. The SR tweet doesn't do well below 3.5khz and will sound better with a mid that can play higher. The 5.25 being a smaller cone has a better response in the midrange. Thats where a ton of your imaging cues are. But the lower notes will leave you wanting, once you've heard the 6.5's.

Couple the 6.5's with a tweet that can dig low, where in the tweet covers up for the slight lack in midrange and you've got a deadly cocktail.

I would strongly suggest you get your ears on some 6.5's crossed around the 2-3khz mark.

Disclaimer : The above is all subjective opinion. I don't have a shred of proof, other than what my ears tell me. :redface:
  • Vital
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gonna get Memphis 3-way x-over when i come back from my road trip, here's pics for now.

As i said i removed my SR124 and PA1200.1 so instead of mono amp i used that space to house SR passive crossovers and TRU driver. Remaining amprack space (were i used to use for TRU and MOMO x-overs) was cut off to have every inch of trunk space for this trip.

As for tweets - the way my car's mirror covers are if i simply installed tweeter pads on top tweets would be facing down, literally towards the floor so i had to fabricate my own pads by combining my car's mirror cover and polk pad into one with lots of plumbers puddy inbetween covered in fiberglass and then body filler.

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0519.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140