Audioquest King cobra - Signal flow arrows

Options
Beta
Beta Posts: 267
Slight brain fade going on right now....

I am using AQ King Cobra RCA ICs to connect an amp pre-outs on an AVR. The arrows on the cables point towards the amp correct? Thanks.
Post edited by Beta on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The arrows follow the direction of the signal flow, so yes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thank you sir. Much appreciated!
  • niente
    niente Posts: 68
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ok - i get the "arrow points in the direction of signal flow"

BUT.. Good grief

is this another "Cable/Wire" Mfg Hoo Haa / Urban Legend which really only=additional profit for them

Or could there actually be a difference?
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2011
    Options
    niente wrote: »
    BUT.. Good grief
    is this another "Cable/Wire" Mfg Hoo Haa / Urban Legend which really only=additional profit for them

Do some research and find out why....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • niente
    edited May 2011
    Options
    maybe i should have been more specific - but even some speaker wires have signal path arrows - which is a waste of ink to print the arrow as speaker wire isn't sheilded off the roll anyway
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    Options

BUT.. Good grief

It's a couple things. One, not everyone knows about audio in the way you or I may and they need help via directions, user manuals or visual markings as to how you connect something.

Secondly, for interconnects, it usually marks the point to which the cable is grounded and you want your interference or noise to go towards your grounded piece of equipment or the actual ground.

I don't know of any manufacturer that charges extra for the arrow or marking of a cable. Waste of ink? You're not seriously worried about ink usage are you? For some manufacturers, the speaker wire directionality has to do with its geometry or their design. I can't speak for all of them nor do I care that much about it but you'll have to try cables for yourself. Their is far more cable voodoo than in anything else audio, without a doubt but it doesn't cost that much to determine that for yourself.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • niente
    edited May 2011
    Options
    "far more cable voodoo than in anything else audio"

Well said!!

This thread caught my eye as i recently bought and installed Blue Jeans LC1 connects between my Amp and Recv - sound is a wow - reviews were great which steered me to them and cost was actually low compared to some cables out there.

Which brings me back to the thread---no directional arrows on the BJ's......

Would this indicate that there is not a "direction of sheilding on them"???

Thanks for the input! and listening to my rant!
    Other than cables only the cost of eyeglasses get my goat more.

My TV gets it's signal from a satelite in outer space - but my eyeglasses cost more than my SAT receiver!- go figure!
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Which brings me back to the thread---no directional arrows on the BJ's......

Would this indicate that there is not a "direction of sheilding on them"???

Not neccesarily. You would have to email BJC and ask them. They use Belden or Canare cables for most of their core cables, either of which is an excellent choice.
  • niente
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I called BJC - LC-1's are non directional
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There's 2 reasons for directionality, 1 is fact, the other is "theory":

1. FACT: The cable shield is only connected at one end of the cable. You want the cable oriented the correct way for the reasons Mark gave (passing on ground to reduce potential hum).
    2. THEORY: Direction is marked to go with the grain of the copper; and/or the direction the copper was drawn. This is thought (note the word thought) to improve audio quality. This would apply to a cable that either has no shield, or it is connected on both ends.

Either case, if directionality is marked---USE IT.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2011
    Options
    With Audioquest in the past I believe it (the arrow direction) mainly had to do with Steve's reason #2 above, 2. THEORY: Direction is marked to go with the grain of the copper; and/or the direction the copper was drawn. This is thought (note the word thought) to improve audio quality. This would apply to a cable that either has no shield, or it is connected on both ends.

I believe I recently read somewhere that with recent improvements in the way copper is drawn, especially with the ultra-pure coppers like Audioquest's PSC+ (Perfect Surface Copper +), that directionality really shouldn't be an issue anymore (if it ever were to begin with).
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2011
    Options
    There's so few grain "barriers" in PSC+ copper (.99998% purity I think) that direction is probably a moot point, but what the heck. You're absolutely correct about the AQ observation.