Newbie needs help!! on FXi50

Options
DiabloArt
DiabloArt Posts: 2
Hi everyone,
Just upgraded from Energy take 5.1 (they sure were small) to Polk Rti70 as front mains CSi40 as center channel and FXi50's as surrounds. Still looking for a good sub. The question I have is concerning the FXi50's, I mounted them on the wall a foot behind the listening area and set to bipole. According to the labels one has RC and the other LC which I assume is for right and left. This makes the one with a tweeter and the balance driver pointing to the outside of my listening area. Is this correct? Should only the side with the tweeter be pointing to the listening area? Thanks !

Setup
Onkyo TX-SR800
Polk Rti70 Mains
Polk Csi40 Center
Polk Fxi50 Surround
Sub - Energy S8
Post edited by DiabloArt on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    DA,

First, welcome to the Club.

Most here would say tweeters at your listening position. Swap them and see if the difference pleases you.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    if they are in the back wall and are more than 6 feet apart then swap them. but if they are on the side wall leav them be. the woofers will fase foward
  • DiabloArt
    DiabloArt Posts: 2
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the response!! I will try a few of the suggestions.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Regardless of the position, the speaker orientation remains the same. As shown in the owner's manual, your left and right is defined when you are facing the TV and the front of the room.

What changes with position is the dipole/bipole switch. If they are mounted directly to the sides, then use the dipole setting. If they are mounted more to the rear, then use the bipole setting.

The dipole setting runs the tweets out of phase, and the bipole setting runs them in phase.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS