LSiM 703 Review

124»

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2011
    Those towers really do need a little space. Lou's room at Polkfest is about the smallest I think they'd work in? And that was a decent living room space (not huge, but a good size). I don't remember anything being boomy. In fact, even in the prototype I was very very 'impressed' but just how tight and solid their bass was? So I'm a little surprised to hear you're having a problem there.

Keep us posted!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited June 2011
    Just experienced my proudest moment ever. I was listening to the Apollo 13 Soundtrack, and my dad, who couldn't tell a set of Wilsons from a set of Gigawares, just walked into the living room where I currently have the 703s setup, and said "Damn Jim... that sounds really good!". Even tone-deaf people love the 703s! Proof of their ultimate greatness!

p.s. - be on the lookout for my 707 review tonight!
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    So this just got even better. Been jamming in the living room while editing my review, and dad decided it sounded so good that we should just eat dinner in the living room and blast music all night... this is coming from the guy who told me turn it down all my life haha. We couldn't even hear the delivery guy knocking at the door. I think even he's hooked on the 703s :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2011
    I'm blogging now on the LSiM. Guys keep the feedback coming. Now that the product pages are up, I ask you submit your reviews there also.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    Tried to submit reviews of the 703 and 707 on the product pages and I keep getting an error... :mad:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• unbridled_id
    unbridled_id Posts: 179
    edited June 2011
    The 703's are really beautiful speakers. I have been waiting for Polk to put this series up on their website. Does anybody know the crossover points on the 703 ?

I have owned many polk speakers over the years and maybe someday will get the 703's. A 3 way bookshelf is very appealing to me.
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2011
    The 707's have landed with quite a large thump. I thought my LS90's were large speakers. They look quite diminutive next to a 707.
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    Well put, DSkip!

Just to chime in additionally:

The 703s have become even more-fantastic since my initial review. I brought my LSi7s and RT5s to Marv's today just for kicks, but we didn't even come close to swapping them in; the 703s are too good to consider putting another speaker in their place. We listened to Marv's Ushers and They've grown in every way, and gained a great deal more of the depth that I initially discussed them lacking (in comparison to my modded 25s). They dig deeper than they did initially, but (and this is personal preference) I would keep a sub in the mix crossed at 55Hz, give or take, to fill in the last octave of frequencies. My taste is strong (but not overbearing) fundamentals, so I like having a sub added for a little low-fill.

All in all, the 703s were breath-taking on Marv's gear, and I felt quite fortunate to experience them in the manner I did. I really can't commend Polk sufficiently on the job-well-done on the 703s. They're absolutely unbeatable.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited June 2011
    I'm definitely picking up a set on launch day :)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited June 2011
    I'm bummed I didn't get to hear those 703. With all the moving and such I didn't get to hear them at our little mini polkfest over at Russ's place and couldn't in good faith take them to demo for a few days knowing that in all the chaos I'd never get a chance to really sit down and listen to them.

I doubt a pair will be in the cards for me right now but if any of you other locals end up with a pair and wanna have me over or loan them out for a couple days I certainly wouldn't turn you down.

The LSi7 is my favorite speaker in that line, and I had a feeling these would be my favorite in the new line, and from what I'm reading these sound very promising.
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    I'm bummed I didn't get to hear those 703. With all the moving and such I didn't get to hear them at our little mini polkfest over at Russ's place and couldn't in good faith take them to demo for a few days knowing that in all the chaos I'd never get a chance to really sit down and listen to them.

I doubt a pair will be in the cards for me right now but if any of you other locals end up with a pair and wanna have me over or loan them out for a couple days I certainly wouldn't turn you down.

The LSi7 is my favorite speaker in that line, and I had a feeling these would be my favorite in the new line, and from what I'm reading these sound very promising.

I've still got the 703s and the LSi7s if you wanna sit down and do an A/B listening session some afternoon. I should be free most of this week.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• whitecamaross
    whitecamaross Posts: 219
    edited August 2012
    interesting review..cant wait til these hit craiglist..
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,579
    edited August 2012
    interesting review..cant wait til these hit craiglist..

LOL, if/when they do they are still gonna be expensive! Still loving on my LSi 15's one year later and dont see myself moving to another speaker anytime soon :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • whitecamaross
    whitecamaross Posts: 219
    edited August 2012
    LOL, if/when they do they are still gonna be expensive! Still loving on my LSi 15's one year later and dont see myself moving to another speaker anytime soon :smile:

i am actually laughing hard at what i said right now lol.. but really, craigslist is a man's best friend if you look hard enough.
    anyhow, how come NOBODY has these speakers available? no internet website has them???
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited August 2012
    From the looks of the pics in the original post, the OP was running these off the receiver? I didn't see an amp in there anywhere.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775