HDTV Question

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited September 2003 in Electronics
Have some HDTV questions, wasn't sure if this was the proper forum, but since there are so many nice forum users, I figured somebody would chime in.

So here goes. I have a Direct TV setup right now. It is NOT HDTV equipment (dish, LNB's or receiver) just the regular stuff. Sooner or later, I would like to get a Digital HDTV set. Now, when I do that, as I understand this, I will need to get a new dish or some sort of LNB or what ever. I will also need to get an HDTV receiver for the Direct TV high def channels. Now my question. What about the local HD channels? Not the regular locals, as they are already on Direct TV. I mean the local, or Over The Air, HD channels. Will I have to get a second, completely seperate receiver & run an ugly antenna? Or will Direct TV ever get local HD channels as part of the service?

If any one knows anything about HDTV & Direct TV, spill it.

Late,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Local HD channels are only available on a very limited bases from E* (CBS-E or -W), I don't now about DTV. The best place on the WWW to get DBS/DBS-HD info is WWW.DBSTalk.Com
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2003
    Options
    For HD locals, you will need to hook an antenna up to the Directv satellite reciever. It will do the HD tuning. No HD locals via satellite though; it just takes too much bandwith.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I saw the Sony demo of the directv HD decoder and it looks great. One oval dish for the 3 satelites, one over-the-air HD antenna. Both will run in to the satelite decoder. What you get is two local channels. One will be the Over the Air HD and the other will be the satelite feed. The system and menu look great. What are you using for a display? DLP or what?
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys.

So what you're saying is that 1 receiver will accept the Direct TV satelite feed as well as the antenna feed. Very clever.

jdavy, I do not yet have an HDTV. Currently, I have a Sony Trinitron that I got about 6 years ago. It is a 32". I like it. The Direct TV signal is great. I've got the shaprness turned almost the entire way up. I turned it up until the image started to get grainy, them backed it down a touch.

thanks,
    Greg
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You might find this thread interesting as well:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11948
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited September 2003
    Options
    gmorris,

You are in the same boat that I am in. I have a nice 5 year old 35" Sony XBR. Both of our tv's are not HDTV capable. To enjoy HDTV we need to upgrade. I am waiting untill it is time to upgrade both. Just a thought.

James
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    yes, I am also waiting to upgrade. the thing that gets me is the area I live in, I think I'd get 5 or 6 over the air HD signals, then a couple on Direct TV. (I just have the basic package for Direct TV, so upgrading to HD programing will cost extra)

So, as I see it now, I be getting maybe 10 or 12 HD channels, and of course I could watch DVD's in Progresive scan. It is not worth it to me yet.