Report a telemarketer?

Options
joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
So I get my fair share of calls here and there. I politely tell them that I am not interested and they promptly hang up!!! WTF?? I was polite to YOU why don't you be polite back instead of hanging up on me?

I was thinking that the next time, I'll take down the persons' name and company # first, and if they hang up when I turn them down I'll call back the company and "report" them. Of course I always think that and never actually do it.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited May 2011
    Options
    beat em to it and hang up on them first :)
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ehh...it's just the nature of their job. The sooner they're off the phone with you, the sooner they'll be making their next call/potential sale. Reporting them is just going to get the dude written up and potentially cause him to lose his job. I wouldn't.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Turn it around. Buy something if they buy something from you!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2011
    Options
    No "Do Not Call" list in Canada, eh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2011
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »

I was thinking that the next time, I'll take down the persons' name and company # first, and if they hang up when I turn them down I'll call back the company and "report" them. Of course I always think that and never actually do it.

Joe

99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the time the entire process is automated. You'll never speak to a human, or it won;t be worth the time involved.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well, alot of places have strict policies against further contact once the contact has expressed no interest in the product or service being marketed. I know in the U.S. that even further polite remarks can be construed as a low-pressure sales tactic that can be prosecuted if the contact has already stated their lack of desire for the contact. The hang up, while rude, may not be intended that way but rather as a way to prevent further escalation of any possible issue or avoidance of legal action. The laws have gotten really strict here in the states about it and more than a few companies have been burned by it even when unintentionally giving an impression of actions that the laws explicitly protect against.

With everybody being so sue-happy in this day an age, I can't blame them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mudwrx
    mudwrx Posts: 367
    edited May 2011
    Options
    When I get those calls I simply ask them if they can hold on and I put the phone down and go watch tv or have dinner or something.

I never do know how long they stay on the line for...
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I love those kind of calls. I have fun and pull all kinds of shenanigans on them. 99% of the time, they never call back. :biggrin:

I love when Olin Mils photograghy calls and asks if I'd like a free portrait, I get shrill and say "I've just been hideiously disfigured in a propane accident, and you want to take my picture??!!"

Sometimes they feel really bad and apologize, then I feel bad.....well kinda :biggrin:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The last time I got one of those I acted like I was mentally challenged and frustrated the guy enough he hung up....lol

The sad part was, the guy was still trying to sell me insurance even though itmust have been clear to him, I wasn't all there.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2011
    Options
    None of you guys are making it past this saturday. :biggrin:
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited May 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

We do have one, we registered and never get calls.

The other option is check your call display, if you don't know the number don't pick up. I love that we can see who is calling when we are watching TV, so I don't even have to reach for the phone!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited May 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

those don't even work in the states Jesse. I got rid of my home phone and bought a track fone even still get them on those. Even had an unlisted number found out the local phone company was sell all the numbers to marketers although without any names still you would think an unlisted number should be sold along with all the rest.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the time the entire process is automated. You'll never speak to a human, or it won;t be worth the time involved.

H9

And that there my friend in how they get around the do not call list :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

What is your degree of certainty on this ? :biggrin:
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Automated calling does not get a telemarketer in the US around the Do Not Call regulations, unless it is for one of the listed exemptions (ie political calls!).

In Canada if you continue to receive telemarketing calls after registering for the Do Not Call list, call the Canadian Marketing Association and give them the information on who is continuing to call you.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My home phone has a call block feature. I just add their number to the list.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II