Bandpass

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have 2 12" polk gnx subs i would like to get a new box and was looking at bandpass. Does anyone recommend this.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited September 2003
    bandpass = lose

get a ported or sealed. ported are usually louder, but lose on sq. sometimes, if built right they'll sound better than a sealed box.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2003
    Bandpass does not equal lose.

Unless you meant that bandpass had a loose sound and just spelled loose wrong?

Anyway, bandpass boxes are good for making noise. It is not the best sounding noise and can be very sloppy sounding but it will kick hard and loud. If that is what you are going for then yes, bandpass is a good deal.

If you want loud but accurate, a ported box is the way to go. It will be much tighter and cleaner than a bandpass box and it will have a much larger frequency range. It won't quite as loud but it will be loud, make no mistake.

If you want accurate, musical bass then sealed is the way to go. To play it loud though, you will need to most likely max out the subs on power.

For the best compromise, ported would be the way to go. If you want mind-numingly loud and you couldn't care less about how it sounds then bandpass is the way to go. If you are a stickler for accurate, quality sound then sealed is the way to go.

If you need some info about your subs, this page has a listing of all the GNX subs that Polk Audio made. Find yours and click on the picture. It will bring up a spec page and will tell you everything about the sub: http://www.polkaudio.com/car/category.php?name=subwoofers&recent=1
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited September 2003
    If you do chose ported make sure to use a "subsonic" filter so the subs aren't trying to play anything below the tuned frequency of the box.

The bandpass will be loud and sound OK if built properly, and you won't have to worry about the very low frequncies destroying your woofers.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    this is contrary to my normal advice ... but ... i think you should go ported.

you'll get the improved frequency response in the "bumpin" range, only marginally less sound quality if done properly.

a well done ported box should be as loud as an average bandpass box.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    I have a sealed box now and i have more then enough power. A buddy of mine needed a box and i told him id sell him my sealed box and since i was gonna need a new box anyways i thoght hey ill go bandpass. Now the bandpass im getting has four ports on the front of the box and the subwoofer mounting surface doesnt face forward they are angled. I should face the ports toward the rear correct. Like on the sealed towards the rear.thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    there are no ports on a sealed box.

as far as facing them -- whats more important is their orientation inside the box.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge