Does your wife hate it loud?

Sean De Freitas
Sean De Freitas Posts: 52
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Just recently bought an RM6600 setup with PSW350 sub. Set it up the Polk recommended way, and boy what a sound! I just love it, and running through my Yamaha receiver it really cranks. HOWEVER, my wife DOES NOT share my great enthusiasm for Polk's amazing sound created by these speakers.

Yesterday had 'Gladiators' in DTS playing through my Toshiba 5200 DVD player, and I tell you, in the beginning battle scene, with the volume at about the 10 o'clock position, my overhead light shades were rattling! Boy was I impressed. Boy was she un-impressed. Getting totally ticked off, she went off to bed. Her comments were, she likes a good story, no problem, but why can't it be heard just through the TV speakers? Why does it have to blast your senses out?

Talked to a mate who has a B&W surround system, and he said his wife is just the same with him. Hey, what is it about women. Do they have more sensitive hearing, or are men more hard of hearing (through being nagged so much!)?

What experience with this phenomonen do other guys have?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Congrats on the HT rig Sean and welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, yes, she does. Although, at times, she does like it loud. Last night we watched Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton), I had it loud and she did not complain. Of couse one can always inch up the volume ever-so-slowly during a movie as not to draw attention to oneself and the volume.

But then, the other night while I was listening to some music, she came home from work and sheee-it a purple tweenkie. Of course I had it peeking well over 105db's. But it was awesome. I love it loud and when she is at work.

Luckly I have my HT rig in a dedicated room so I can shut myself in. I think I might add a lock though:)

All-n-all she is very patient with this addictive hobby of mine and usually does not say anything. The best is when she brings someone over, family or friend who has not seen The Green Room, she takes soooo much pride in it and loves to show it off. I get a big smile.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Movies, she loves it, sometimes I do make a center channel adjustment, her main focus is clearly understanding the on screen words.

As far as music goes, she actually pushes the system harder than I do some times (unless im 3 sheets of course)..... It's a real trip to come home, to find Godsmack cranked, and your wife totally into it.

I measured it once, in a 'jammin' mood, she seems to like 89-91 db ambient, 93-95 peaks. Thats pretty friggin loud, esp when its a whole house system, running in every main room.

You cranked an action film right out of the box, didn't you? If you want to convert her, at least to the point where she understands, and HEARS a difference....ease into it.

How about a movie SHE likes tonight? Fight through it brotha....

Cheers,
    Russ

Basically, no complaints here, she understands, supports, and even likes my audio hobby..... (and it wasnt always that way).
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Wendi secretly digs it.....the key being if it is something that SHE likes.

Truth be told, at George's, Wendi dug the Amazings as much as I did.

The key, compadre is just as Russ explained, ease her into it. Especially with material that she digs.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited November 2001
    SELL YOUR WIFE...................LOL

You will be much happier with the Polks anyway...............just kiddin, they will grow on her eventually!

Joe
  • phd500
    phd500 Posts: 75
    edited November 2001
    Well I am not married yet, since I am only 17, but I got something just as bad, a mom, not to dis on her or anything. She hates the idea of watching TV, moviese, anything with my stereo on. It sounds so much beter than the crapy speaker in the TV, and I really hate when theres a scene in a movie, and it has a bunch of low frequencies in it, my fingure just iches to turn up the subwoofer level, you know those scenes. My system can really belt out the sound to, considering I have four fifteens and a Polk PSW1200.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    4 Fifteens......

Where? In What? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    My wife has been pretty tollerant of my habbit! she does not like it loud unless its country music or Luther Vandros....so I have to keep at moderate levels.

I was watching jurasic park in the bedroom- she was studying in the livingroom... door flys open... she said she was tired of the walls vibrating... so i had to turn it down :(

If only they could realize that the louder it is...the more effect thier is ...and that is what we payed for ??

oh well... :rolleyes:
  • skinny
    skinny Posts: 25
    edited November 2001
    My wife says it gives her a headach so i turn it down and slowly i work the volume back up.:D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    that works for a while..then some explosion happens and she looks at me lik that "eat **** and die" look.... due to the house vibrating and all... hehe..

no peace ....:cool:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    not the wife, but my girlfriend who i live with enjoys the quality and loudness of our home theater. i try to educate her on many of the aspects of quality sound and picture quality. i think this helps her to appreciate it. hopefully this won't all change when i'm officially locked down.....
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited November 2001
    Ok guys,

I took your collective advise. We watched the last bit of Gladiator again (remember she stormed off to bed half way through the other night?). Anyway, this time, I lowered the volume, so that you could still hear the dialogue, but weren't forced back against the wall when the subbie kicked in (don't you just love it?). Anyway, she actually enjoyed it and watched it without complaint.

During the previous week we had been watching Eric Clapton Unplugged (at some serious levels) and a bit of Hell Freezes Over, and she seemed relatively happy with the volume. So, I guess maybe you guys are right, ease her in, softer to start with, then crank the juice right up!

Thanks for your advise - it worked!
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    If she digs the concert DVD's I suggest:
    Dave Matthews - Listner Supported
    Lilith Fair (I actually like this one myself)

Troy
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited November 2001
    Troy,

You mentioned Dave Matthews and Lilliath Faith. Never heard of them. What is their music genre, and what are they like? Do they sing, play an instrument, laid back, or what?

Sean
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Dave Matthews, he is one of the more popular bands these days....pretty good stuff I would say...

Lilith Fair was a tour a few years ago by female performers, Sara Machlachlan, Shawn Colvin, Indigo Girls etc....

I like them both.

Troy
  • doorbell
    doorbell Posts: 30
    edited November 2001
    All you guys complaining about your ladies not liking the volume turned up, I got a supreme idea. Marry a hearing impaired or deaf lady and problem solved! Hhahaha. Ok, I confess. My wife is hearing impaired and boy, does she LOVES to crank it up! The louder it is, the wilder she gets, wooeee, i got lucky as hell. Heh, just helping you guys out is all.
  • slapnts9
    slapnts9 Posts: 4
    edited November 2001
    I recently hooked up my friends sub to my system just to see the difference. Since then she's looked around for subs more than I have !!! She definitely does NOT have a problem with it being loud.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    I hate my wife! I've currently got a pair of speakers that are rated at 35 watts hooked up. I don't even have to worry about blowing them. Atleast she acknowledges a difference between S-Video and comp. and sound. She just doesn't rock the joint.

Speaking about rocking the joint and worrying about blowing them, did I mention I hate my wife?:)
    Make it Funky! :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    start a 'hate you wife' thread already...:D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    The sad part is I love her too. I don't even understand my own thoughts.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited February 2002
    I have not met a woman yet that appreciates good sound and loudness during a movie-but hey as long as they tolerate it thats great-if they dont give em the boot
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited February 2002
    I **** a lot about "sneaking" my recent Polk upgrades in on my wife, but in actuality, she's been on to it all along, albiet apprehensively. What I did for the final sell, was to throw on Alabama's first CD(one of her personal favorites)place her in my listening throne, and said,,,"Here honey, listen to this",,,At about 11 o'clock on the Oink's dial. Mission accomplished!! Some of the other guy's have mentioned some tune's and DVD's for you, here's mine. "The All Star Tribute To Brian Wilson" DVD. Wife cries everytime she watches it, and it's a damn good disc even if you're not a big Beach Boy's fan. And,,, find Chris Rea's "The Road To Hell" CD, cue up "Your Warm And Tender Love", and ask her to dance. The world will be yours my friend!!! :D

Ron
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    I promise the day I meet a LADY that enjoys music and dvd,s at a volume that is sensible and that does not mean low volume, I promise I will leave the mmmm well Witch, ps ignore that w you know what I mean, I am out of here, of coarse the HSV, and the polks go with me.......................:mad:
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    had a friend over last night checking my new toyz and he asked if there was something under the bottom grill, told him no and explained the different speakers in the series and that as you go up in #'s there are some speakers under the bottom grill..
    his reply thats convenient you can upgrade with out the wife knowing since they all look the same, smart thinking on polks side. and you know i had never thought of that..the only thing that would change is the size but if you did it slow enuff it might work.;)
    any wayz the wife doesnt mind too much she likes watching movies loud (not as loud as me) she really gets into the actoin with the volume up..and scary movies have a whole new meaning with a nice loud ht..i like to jump
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2002
    my wife vicki hates it wend i play my music loud but wend i put a movie on loud she likes it, i guess thats the way it is, women have there way. thanks, joe
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • justpolkme
    justpolkme Posts: 18
    edited February 2002
    Speaking as (apparantly) the only female that has infiltrated this site...

If you spent half as much quality time with your lady as you do thinking, drooling, researching, writing and bs'n about speakers...she'd probably be a lot more supportive of your hobby. Consideration is key. That is all.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2002
    Wendi actually likes it louder than I do, it's the financial aspect that she finds objectionable...

Troy
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited February 2002
    same here she does not care what i have or how it sounds as long as the bills come first,and the toys come later.

scott
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    YOU ARE RIGHT, BUT IT WORKS BOTH WAYS AND I MARRIED A CRAZY IMPORT THATS NUTS ABOUT FOLK SONGS..............BORING. I MADE A BIGGER MISTAKE THAN THE POOR SUCKERS THAT BUY BOSE DO,,,,HUGE MISTAKE, THATS LIFE,,REGARDS FABIAN.;)
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited February 2002
    You all want the next great upgrade for loudness?

Get a vacuum tube amplifier.

When you listen loud, it will sound a hell of a lot better than solid state amplifiers.

It's really wild. I never would have believed it until I had it in my own home. I can turn the knob 3/4 of the way up and the music is still pure, clean, refined. None of the harshness or fatigue that my numerous old solid state amps exhibit.

The Polks RT16's I have are rated up to 150 watts. Polk didn't lie. The volume, at full bore on this amp, is mind blowingly loud and not a hint of distortion out of the speakers (remember, my amp is 60wpc) or amp. My solid state gear, on the other hand, starts to sound quite harsh even at moderate listening levels.

Tubes don't have to be expensive, either. You can find some great amps for less than $1000.

-crazyhead-