What sub is right for this amp?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just bought a 99 Prelude SH and want to install a sub. I have a MTX 6500D amp and was wondering if I should go with a single mm10 or an mm12. Any advice would be appreciated.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    well... neither.

momo's are only single 4 ohm coil. this means you will only get half of the amp's available power by using one sub.

you either have to find a 700 watt dual 4 ohm voice coil sub... or... run two 350 watt single 4 ohm coil subs.

I would suggest two of the new Momo 2104's or 2124's... 10" or 12"... they are 300 and 400 watts rms respectively.

they are also more sensitive than the larger momo's and considering your amp, i'd think that two of the 2104's costing you about 250 total retail from crutchfield would sound better and be louder than one big momo 10 or 12 at 200 bucks retail.

or you can find something like a single alpine type R 12" dual 4 ohm coil SWR1241D that'll take the full power of the amp ... that would cost you like 180 retail. its rated at 300 rms, but it'll do 750 w/ out a problem.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the advice.

My trunk is pretty small and I want to stay with a single sub.

Alpine sounds like a good way to go. What about JL? I have a dual JL 8" bandpass box in my Odyssey and I'm very happy with the sound.

Are ther any compact bandpass boxes that would work with my amp?

I've never had an amp like the MTX so I'm really not sure what speakers I need to look for.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    dont waste your money on any more JL equipment... it really is a waste of cash.

dont even whisper W7, as I can give you 4 or 5 other speakers that are cheaper, play louder, and sound better... not to mention are built better.

far as the alpine -- ya.... the dual 4 ohm coil setup works like a charm.

usually two type R 12's off an 81000d was a good setup, so one off a 6500D would be the same power.

personally i'd rather have the two momo mid line momo 10's, but if u're stuck for space u do what u gotta do.

the mtx amp will be loud... very loud.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    Thanks fellas

I decided to take your advice and I found a speaker box that would hold 2-10's and fit nicely in the Preludes trunk.

I picked up:

2- Polk GNX-104 10" subs
    1-Q Logic QLH 6510DE Speaker Box
    1- Pair of polk EX-365 6.5 speakers for the front doors

Delivered to my door, from Crutchfied for under $250.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    heh heh heh -- be careful now.

the GNX is like a 200 watt sub... 225 at most rms...

that amp can pump out a good 375 per sub... so keep the gain down... or you will cook your nice new subs :)

happy boom boom boom booming :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    be sure to break em in too...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.