Starting New Chapter in Life Today!

Options
Dawgfish
Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
Hi everyone,

Today is an exciting day for me! I am officially getting out of the environmental consulting field and starting my new career as a full time fly fishing guide. I couldn't be happier about the decision. I'm going to do everything possible to make this work. I've had enough of the corporate world to last me a lifetime!
Post edited by Dawgfish on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Today is an exciting day for me! I am officially getting out of the environmental consulting field and starting my new career as a full time fly fishing guide. I couldn't be happier about the decision. I'm going to do everything possible to make this work. I've had enough of the corporate world to last me a lifetime!

Man am I jealous. Being a fishing guide would rock in so many ways....just like being a audio installer...

maybe someday...

Enjoy the weather and fish!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congrats and best of luck to you.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congrats..sounds like a 'dream' job!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,195
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congratulations on doing what most of us dream of. BTW, what consulting firm(s) did you work for? I'm in the business too, but on the regulating side. Perhaps we've crossed paths unknowingly.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • gelinas
    gelinas Posts: 226
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sounds way cooler than my job
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to this. Bill, I was a geologist with IT before they went under and I've been a geologist/construction manager for Black & Veatch for the last 10 years out of the Alpharetta office.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    edited May 2011
    Options
    geting paid to enjoy yourself, what a gig! congrats, hope it's all it sounds like it could be....
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ballsy move to make in this economy, and I wish you the very best for doing it. The only way to truly find success is to do what you love and be the very best at it. best of luck in your new adventure!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kefranklin
    kefranklin Posts: 141
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I am completely jealous of your guts and I wish you the best of luck in this venture. Damn the man!
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congrats.Now that's a job that I would look forward to going to everyday.I know of a couple people from the texas fishing forum that started guiding & were quiet successful.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Best of luck to you. Some great spots near me in East TN and over the hill in Boone, NC.
    Hope it rewards you financially and gives your life new joys.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congratulations Dawgfish, from a former fishing guide.

If you have any fly fishing stores in your area, they are gonna be goldmines for a steady flow of client biz. Get in tight with them, butter them up, bring them donuts, take 'em fishing, hell even work in there part time if you have to. It will pay off. They will already have a list of guys they can use, but those guys got on that list somehow? You'll find that the guiding business has the toughest marketing of any business, cause your target clients are mostly tourists. Those tourists are scattered all over the country (and no guide has that kind of capital to invest to cover that kind of blanket marketing), so getting in with people in the local industry that are drawing those people, means alot.

Good luck and enjoy!
    ..... ><////(*>
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What a great thing to hear dawg!! :smile: good on ya! Post some pics when your settled in and having fun, so we can live vicariously thru you :biggrin:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2011
    Options
    TN,

I actually do some guiding in your area on the Watauga and the Holston rivers. Fishbones, I appreciate the advice. I'm actually guidng for a shop/guide service, Unicoi Outfitters. Check out our website if you get a chance, www.unicoioutfitters.com. I've been guiding for them part time for awhile now, but finally took the plunge to fulltime. If you are ever in the N. GA, Western Carolina, East TN area, shoot me a PM and we'll go wet a line. That goes for all CP members out there. Thanks again everyone.

Steve
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Cool beans Steve! Sorry I took your original email as just getting into the biz. If I ever get in the area, I'll look you up. Fly-fishing Trout in streams is one cool thing I haven't done.

-Troy
    ..... ><////(*>
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Troy,

No need to apologize. I appreciate the great advice, especially from a fellow guide. You definitely need to check out a trout stream sometime. I know I'm a little biased, but to me it's a religous experience.

Steve
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,273
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I know I'm a little biased, but to me it's a religous experience.

Yes. Yes it can be. :wink:

mary.jpg

WAAAAAAY cool, Dawgfish. Good luck ! :smile:
    Sal Palooza
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Awesome....enjoy your YOUTH while you have it. Keep up your education if you ever need to return to the corporate world. Have the best of 2 worlds.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It sounds incredibly lucrative Big Dawg, good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Best wishes and good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Wow! Congrats on the career move. I know the whole "grass is always greener . . ." thing, but I'm still envious. :biggrin:
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That is one cool job. Have fun and I am sure you will. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Outstanding Steve. When I hang up my guns in a few months we can hook-up.:wink:

RT1
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! Ted, we'll definitely have to do that. I'm heading back down to the golden isles in a few weeks to get the rest of my stuff. We definitely need to get together then, well I know we will when I come by to pick up the amp. You definitely need to head up this way and go soak in a cool trout stream. It feels awesome during the heat of the summer!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2011
    Options
    How cool is that!!

I always thought I'd like to try my hand at guiding for salmon and steelhead on a few rivers in Washington....

Then I up and moved to Arizona.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Very awesome! Best of luck to you!
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Bought some little dcms for jerryj12 from a guy who was a geologist, also had a little tube amp and some klipsch heresys in his office for sale, around six months ago i guess.

just wondering, congrats on changing your life, we are gone way too soon to have a dream life in mind and die never having at least tried to make it happen.

good luck and god bless.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congrats on the new career! Sounds like fun.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Congrats! Jimmy seems like he would be great to work for. One of these days I'm going to fish Unicoi's private stretches. Doesn't Unicoi have one of the only guide licenses for the Chattoga? See Ya on NGTO sometime.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Anytime someone can ditch the corporate world and do what they really want to do is a good thing. Congrats to the OP, and good luck to you on your new life.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable