Mustang door speaker question

roadbratt
roadbratt Posts: 5
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody happen to know the door speaker size for the 89 mustang hatchback? I keep hearing that it's 5 1/4" along with 6.5", and I dont know what to believe. Help me end this confusion! Anybody with an 87-93 mustang hatchback please help out. Thanks.

-Andrew

ps: accidently posted this in the home audio part, sorry.
Post edited by roadbratt on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Crutchfields vehicle application guide say 6.5 inches.

I had a 93 Mustang GT and that size rings a bell.

PJ
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    why dont you just open the door / dash / back panel and find out?

my buddy had a late 80's mustang with 4" up front and 6x9's in back.

those were stock sizes.

i think it was an 87
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • roadbratt
    roadbratt Posts: 5
    edited August 2003
    crutchfield says that 6.5" will fit in my door with no problem, yet when i measured the diameter, it came out to about 5 1/4". Thats where i'm confused, because I want to put 6.5" components in the front, without having to cut a larger whole.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    if the diameter of the hole is 5 1/4 inch make sure you buy speakers that are not only labeled 5.25 inch but also in their description under "cutout diameter" it says the same or just a smidge less than what you measured the hole in your door to be.

otherwise -- it wont fit... that goes without saying though.

if u want bigger speakers, you've gotta cut it out.

"if you want the bass - give up the space"... "if u want the boom, give up the room".
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    A few years back I had an 89 Mustang GT hatchback. Yes they are 6 1/2" in the doors. I had a set of 6 1/2" pioneer components and I remember I had to make spacer rings to bring the speakers out from the door about a quarter inch to allow the window to go up and down without hitting the magnet. I also rigged up a some brackets to mout the tweets in place of the 3 1/2"s in the dash. It sounded good and looked stock.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing