how important is polk sub

Options
eaadams
eaadams Posts: 213
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I was considering the HSU VTF-2. How important is it to have polk speakers with polk sub?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I think that it is not all that important...I have a Paradigm sub and it works fine with my Polks. I know Ron P has a Velo and others use different brands........short answer is that I wouldn't limit my search just to Polk subs.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    None at all. Polk really does not make a good sub (sorry Polk) which will go to 20Hz and below the 650 only goes to 28Hz. A sub dose not need to be timbre matched to your other speakers so any good sub will work fine. I don't know the brand of sub your talking about but check the specs. Anything which can go below 20Hz will even be better you may not hear it but you will feel sound below 20Hz. If you place your sub on a peice of slate 1" thick if will deaden reverberation and tighten the bass. (see Ron-P's Green Rm.)
    If it is a deadicated H/T sub with no music use. Try hooking your DVDs RCA anolog outs straight to your subs high pass filter, if it has one. This way your sub gets the bass from all channels. Your speakers can stay set to large and give what bass they can, if they can handel it. Instead of your speakers being cut off at 80Hz. If you have small speakers this is not worth doing.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I personally don't worry all that much about specs...you would be hard pressed, I believe (and I could be wrong) to find a 10-12" sub under 500 dollars that will go below 20Hz. There are a lot of good subs out there.....

Troy
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    Options
    You can match any sub that is within your budget and that you like. I personaly am not fond of the polk subs and run velodyne. there are tons of subs to choose from.... so have fun..

Thomas:D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Polk has a great selection, in their price points, a lot of people will swear by the Velo CT series. Paradigm falls right into place also...

The HSU is a great sub, also check out the Adire Audio Rava, and SVS.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The Polk 650 is a good subwoofer for the price.

Troy's right: You'll pay quite a bit more for the subs that go a little lower (though I don't know the prices on the Velodyne subs, off the top of my head). And while the ability to play down to 20Hz or lower does make a difference on some material, you might not miss it in your setup. Keep in mind that placement of the sub in your room makes a substantial difference.

I've heard the Infinity IL100 subs have respectable output at 20Hz for about $500.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Evan
    Did I miss something in your post? Are you looking for a sub in the $500 range? The specs are a big point, they are how you match a sub to your system and what seperates a sub from a bass speaker. There are many companies who try and say they are subs but are really just bass speakers. Many movies, action in particular, with the explosions and such go well into the sub bass area of the bandwidth. This is where you feel the punch more then hear the effects of a good sub.
    Velodyne's subs can cost from just over $3000 and go down. The HGS is pretty much their top line but the CT & CHT series are good subs. Most getting in the lower 20Hzs area for $700 and down. SPL is a little more costly but you get what you pay for. Once you get above 30Hz your missing a fair amount of the audio portion of a movie or music. If you do a side by side comparison with a sub which can with one that can't go low, you can tell the difference. IMO Velodyne makes one of the best sub lines.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    the sub he mentions in his original post goes for about 500 bones, I used that as a reference and in that price range most 10-12 inch subs are rated between 22-25Hz generally. Personally, I take all manufacturers ratings on anything with a grain of salt and tend to trust my senses as to what I like best regardless of the specs. That's just my advice.

Troy
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited November 2001
    Options
    yea 500 is the idea. With my new 55i and 400i with a onkyo 797 I am confused on what to go with. After the phenominal review HSU got in S&V a while back I wanted one. I figure w/o going for big money the HSU is the best deal. I was going to get Ascend (partnered with HSU) speakers but my dream speakers (55i) are cheap enough now that I cant pass em up.

A firiend of mine (spoiled brat) has the big 18" Velo. I realize I wont beable to aford that for awhile but I know I need a sub. In my mind the HSU is the best price/performance I can get. I've never been impressed with Polk subs (cept for the 1000) My local goodguys NEVER has them hooked up right and it is just a matter of what is more important a polk sub or performance.

How often does the great polk support come into play when dealing with subs? Are they prone to more breaking due to the amp in em?
  • tom h.
    tom h. Posts: 2
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I have the HSU VTF-2 mated to a pair of RT-35s. This set-up works well for me. The S&V review is what got me to check this sub out and I've been very happy. The measured extension and output is hard to beat at this price point. The only down side may be the unusual textured finish. Hsu also offers good technical support though not quite on par with Polk(but who does).

Tom
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The HSU is one hell of a sub. A friend of mine has one and it kicks better than anything else I've heard. For the $$$ I doubt you'd find one better.
  • phd500
    phd500 Posts: 75
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Hey, trien to decide on a sub hu. I was faced with this delemah about a year ago. It was a very long proces, and very dificult. I just couldn't find out what to get, so here are some of the best sounding subs I listened to. The JBL PB12 sounds prity good with a fair amount of lowend, Yamaha has some good subwoofers between 3-$500.00, they go real low and sound good while doin it. Paridigm has a 12 that sounds great, doesn't go extremly low but it does a good job of lettin ya know whats goin on down in the bass region. I hope this helps, and good luck:)

SYSTEM

Reciever: Sony STR-DE915 Dolby Digital 100wx5
    Speakers:
    mains- JBL D315 15inchers
    center- JBL N-center dual 4's
    surounds- JBL D315 15inchers
    Subwoofer- Polk PSW1200 dual 12's
    Video:
    TV- GE 19incher
    Pioneer LD player
    Crapy vcr
    monster cable intercanects and Harizon speaker wire

I know some of it sounds stupid but it's a work in progress. Plus I am only 17, and I am buying everything myself.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    speak and spell, brotha.....

No worries, I am 31 and still very much a work in progress.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Love this!!!

What the hell, phonetic speaking for the audio incorrect?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JerryR1vers
    JerryR1vers Posts: 17
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Very good ideas Chris about the 1" slate and the sub connection to the dvd player for HT use only. Where is the best place to buy an HSU sub? I have a Klipsch 12" sub I bought new for 325.00 a year ago. I like it but have not heard the HSU. This is a great forum for exchanging great ideas.
    THX!