Call me stupid...

Options
Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited August 2003 in Speakers
but why does the LSi25 handle 20-300 watts of power when the LSi15 only handles 20-250 watts. That makes no sense to me. Why would the LSi25 be able to handle 50 more watts when the LSi15 is powering the same number of drivers, AND an 8" woofer? Someone care to explain?

Oh, and please don't call me stupid :D
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Mazeroth
    edited August 2003
    Options
    25 views and still no response. I guess this is a good question. Where's Matthew Polk when you need him? :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited August 2003
    Options
    *Edited for *Stupid* content*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited August 2003
    Options
    hmm.....
    whoooooppppppps wrong thread! SORRRRRRRY!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2003
    Options
    k, I don't know if Polk HQ is gonna like my response, but I'm gonna throw it out.

Wattage ratings on speakers are one of the more meaningless stats. Often time manufactures will put down a better number on paper for their better speakers to help justify the purchase of the better speaker. I'm not saying that's the only possibility or what's happening here, but I've seen it done.

The truth is, the amount of power that a speaker can handle is dependent primarily on the amplifier. Speaker will blow when the amp starts distorting which will be somewhere (hopefully) around the amp's max power rating. Thus if you listen to music at the same volume using a 80 watt amp and a 200 watt amp, the 80 is actually *more* likely to blow the speakers because it's really pumping and possibly distorting, while the 200 is coasting smoothly.
  • Mazeroth
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I was thinking along the same lines, Guitar. Mainly it's a marketing tool, but I wanted to see what others had to say about it. I wonder if the LSi25 could take 300 watts RMS into 2 5.25" and a 1" tweeter. That would be interesting nonetheless! :D
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by GuitarheadCA
    Thus if you listen to music at the same volume using a 80 watt amp and a 200 watt amp, the 80 is actually *more* likely to blow the speakers because it's really pumping and possibly distorting, while the 200 is coasting smoothly.

This is what I've heard in the past as well.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688