looking for an amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'd like to start by saying damn, everyone in central kansas (except one audio shop) does not know car audio. I had all my stuff stolen lately and am starting to rebuild CHEAPLY! So i went around town asking advice. I got a head unit off ebay and still had my dx 3065 comp set and infinity rear speakers. i also have a RF XLC 8 OHM 12 sub, yes i know, eww rockford, but its all i got. so im thinking get a 2 or 4 channel amp and get a tri-way cross over. So i went around town and no one knew what tri-way ment!! only one shop had an idea what it was, anyways i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cheap!! amp that meets this criteria, and sounds decent. thanks!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    whats wrong with rockford?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2003
    Rockford's not bad, I prefer MTX for no real reason mainly i like the look better and blind brand loyalty ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    i run Rosco amps and Assomi subs.

i love em.

pimpin.

true.

vanilla coke.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2003
    I have a tri-way crossover network. It doesn't handle an extreme amount of power but it works. I had it hooked up to a Profile California Series 200 x 2 watt amp. It was putting out like 50 to the stereo channels and 300 to the sub channel when hooked to the crossover. I'll look and see if I can find the wiring diagram. If I have it, I'll sell it to you for 100 bucks. It was almost 200 brand new about 3 years ago.

OK, just found it.

The crossover handles 250 watts RMS.

Here is some info:

PAC Model TM-100 Tri-mode Crossover

100 Hz and lower to mono woofer or subwoofer at 12 dB per octave. 100 Hz and higher to left and right 6x9, 6.5 or 6 inch speakers at 6 dB per octave. Nominal impedance of all speakers: 4 Ohms. 250 watts RMS. Easy to install on the outputs of a tri-mode amplifier.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2003
    Also, I'll sell you that Profile amp for another 100 bucks. I also have a Pioneer GM-X354 4 channel amplifier. It's 35W x 4 amp. It'll run in 3 channel mode without a crossover but 70W x 1 bridged on the rear channels is weak for a subwoofer. It's not real powerful but with a .08% THD, it's fairly clean for its price. I'll let that go for 150, it was 300 brand new.

Another option is the Profile amp bridged to 200 W RMS at 4 ohms. It's about 400 peak at 4 ohms. That will work for the sub just fine and a 4 channel amp. Doesn't have to be teh Pioneer I have but for 250 for both amps, its a cheap solution. That's what you are looking for.

I have the documentation for all of it. If you are interested, let me know. It's all used stuff. Served me well too. Some of it has some knicks but nothing major. The Pioneer amp was dropped during its first install but nothing more than a marred corner. Barely noticable. Some other small scratches too from being mounted in a trunk. The Profile amp had a screw driver dropped on it that took a nasty chunk out of the top but for being 7 or so years old, it's in excellent condition.

Geez, I'm feeling like a **** here but I have a 10 inch JBL GTO series sub. That too is old but it works and very well too. It worked well with the Profile amp, that tri way crossover and a pair of Infinity Reference components. They were woefully overpowered, the Infinities that is, but they did fine. The JBL sub is under-rated as a sub and with the 200-300 watts of power in the tri-way mode from the Profile amp, it was pretty loud.

I'm going to stop whoring now though. If you are interested in any of it, let me know and we'll see what can be set up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!