SR124 Midrange

nstillmatic
nstillmatic Posts: 10
edited April 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have dual SR124's in a 1.53 per chamber sealed enclosure (before displacement). It's being powered by a Sundown SAX-1200D. It seems like the subs are pushing the lows fine, but it's barely audible on songs with only midbass or higher. I've tried adjusting the LPF to no avail.

Is it because my box is too big?
Post edited by nstillmatic on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2011
    A sub is only meant to play the sub bass frequencies. 20-50/60hz max. It is not meant to play the mid bass range, 60-200hz. Not unless you're one of those who like waking up the neighborhood at 2am. The mid bass range is to be played by your mid bass drivers.

If the music does not have the sub frequencies, then you shouldn't hear your sub.
  • nstillmatic
    edited April 2011
    Sorry, I didn't literally mean midbass; but just the higher sub frequencies like ~<50 or so. I don't hear the subs a lot of songs with bass unless it has an overwhelming amount of very low bass which was present (which was present with my previous set). I have to turn up that range slightly with my indash equalizer to actually hear it. Would it help to put my SR's in a smaller box?
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    1. Where have you set the LPF on the sub? From the hu, the amp or both? Your amp does not have a bypass for the LPF. Eg if you set your LPF at the HU at 60hz and the dial on the amp is set at 35hz then thats what the sub will be cut off at.

2. What is the LPF frequency you have set?

3. Where are your gains set on the amp?
  • nstillmatic
    edited April 2011
    The LPF is set on the amp only, not the HU. I took a picture of the dials just to avoid any confusion:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eQhKzWX1HD3GMqVf66eBEN5vKbwWn_UV9bYqiDvyiXc?feat=directlink

As I can tell the gain is at about 1/3, but the range on the LPF dial makes it hard for me to estimate.. but again--I can hear the range when I boost it with my equalizer, otherwise I can't. It seems like the range is being passed through but not loud enough to be audible.
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    The gain is fine. The xover is around the 80-85hz mark, a bit high but ok. I think you're trying to hear the bass that isn't recorded in the music.

Are your doors sealed?