Break in at work, security system.

PerfectCreature
PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
edited April 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
There was a car that was broken into at my store, cops think it to be a retaliation, but I want to be safe and protect my car.
I was thinking about this one....please let me know your opinion.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00190VQDA/ref=nosim/diymacom-20

I will have my local shop install.
He said he has only done 5 car alarm since he opened in 1998, but he has done thousands of remote starts.
With that said, should I be able to trust his work given he can do remote starters?
I mean, I don't want a bad install and it end up not working you know?
Receiver
Harman Kardon HK 3490
Speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 50s
Subwoofer
Klipsch KSW-100
Cables
AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
PS4
Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
Post edited by PerfectCreature on

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,163
    edited April 2011
    How do you ever get out of bed???
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2011
    The car wasn't stolen, right? Just broken into? Alarms don't stop cars from being broken into.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Well, it was not stolen because they cut the spark plug wires.
    My car is fine, I just want a little added protection that maybe, if someone were to think about, the alarm might deter then or at least attract attention.
    I mean, if they want my stuff, they will take it alarm or not.
    Just want a little more protection then I already have, that alarm listed above says it will notify me if anything is going on with my vehicle. That way if its not attracting a bystanders attention at least it is attracting mine.
    That is why I chose a two way pager.
    Anyway, whatever, opinions on the alarm, would it be a nice alarm or not? I read somewhere you can purchase an FLCAN module, make installation easier....
    Then I could most likely do it myself.
    Any input on that?
    Thanks.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2011
    I thought you were getting a motorcycle to add roadrash with your sunburn?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    edited April 2011
    does anyone pay attention to car alarms?
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    jhw59 wrote: »
    does anyone pay attention to car alarms?

No, which was kind of my point. It is a neat selling feature that this one notifies you, I just wonder if that's "soon enough." I would guess most break-ins don't last more than 15-30 seconds (smash and grab), so even if it's right in front of work....

I didn't even think Maine HAD crime. What's going on up there?!
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Well, we do, it is just mostly drugs in my area.
    The guy who had his car broken into is our loss prevention. He has had a few arrests and gotten some people banned from the mall attached to our store, so cops think it is a retaliation. My issue is that I aid him in quite a lot of his arrests and am one of the best in our store in spotting stuff and aiding him in his job, cops advised me to be careful.
    So, It had been on my mind to maybe get one, just as a deterrent, but never got around to it.

As for break ins, that is the second break in in that parking lot in about 6 months.
    I planned on having a back up battery installed as well in conjunction with the alarm, because most thieves smash windows pop hood and cut battery wire.
    Takes about 15-30 seconds like suggested.

It is supposed to be instant on the remote, as long as I am within 1500 feet, which I would imagine could be enough....

I think for the money the python is a nice system, and I guess I can get the FLCAN for it per a customer agent at Crutchfield.com....
    Anyone able to validate that?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2011
    So you aid this guy and are smart enough to spot "stuff" but yet you need to ask the good people of club polk if it's a good idea to get a car alarm??? REALLY???
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    Do they have security cameras in place?
    I'd say those would be better deterrents against crime...

If they do, locate the cameras and park closer to their coverage areas.
  • G6Whitie
    G6Whitie Posts: 15
    edited April 2011
    Hes on the forums asking if the "said" alarm would be a good choice, not IF he should get one.

Lay off with your stupid remarks and bad attitude.

If you have nothing good to say or information to help out with, dont post.

G6Whitie
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Thank God we have you and your infinite forum experience to help us.
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2011
    G6Whitie wrote: »
    Hes on the forums asking if the "said" alarm would be a good choice, not IF he should get one.

Lay off with your stupid remarks and bad attitude.

If you have nothing good to say or information to help out with, dont post.

G6Whitie

And your so full of information mr 8 posts???:rolleyes: Why don't you read a little into the guy then maybe you will get it..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    edited April 2011
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Thank God we have you and your infinite forum experience to help us.
    Eh, he's got a point.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    Oh Em Gee! I have only posted HERE 8 times..........what was I thinking.

G6Whitie
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    Why don't you read a little into the guy then maybe you will get it..

So, you follow this guy around on the forums like a lost little puppy dog don't you? You read EVERYTHING he types and bash him when you get the chance? You sir, are lucky to have that much time on your hands. :biggrin:

G6Whitie
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2011
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Eh, he's got a point.

Maybe a little...:tongue:
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    G6Whitie wrote: »
    Oh Em Gee! I have only posted HERE 8 times..........what was I thinking.

Most likely "man, I am such a little douchebag."
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited April 2011
    Meh to the alarm, like you stated, if they want it bad enough they'll get it. What do you have in your vehicle? IF you do have a high dollar system, with lots of extras, make sure you notify your insurance company if you have comp coverage, most states only allow up to $1000.00 for add-on's and custom stuff under your standard auto policy, however an endorsement will cover you above that, and should be very cheep to tack on. I also second parking near cameras if you can.... Here it is taken from the NCPAP...

a. any equipment or device that is permanently installed by the vehicle's manufacturer; or
    b. the first $1,000 of any equipment or device that is permanently installed by other than the vehicle's manufacturer;
    in any your covered auto or a non-owed auto.
    "Permanently installed" means installed by bolts, brackets, or welding in a location in accordance with application laws
    and regulation for the installation of such equipment or device.

Hope that helps...
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    Damn, pulling out all the big lines eh? Lets act cool on teh intrawebz everybody!

G6Whitie
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2011
    I actually really like those models. The remotes dont break nearly as easily as their LCD 2-way cousins do.

As far as the installer. Almost every alarm I've ever seen can be disabled in less than 10 seconds after you get in the vehicle, if that. A remote start doesn't necessarily need to be 'hidden' like an alarm does. If you pull the dash panel on a car I've done a remote start on and a car I've done an alarm on, there's a huge difference. I don't have sloppy installs by any means, but on remote starts, I dont go out of my way to hide the brain/wires behind the dash. But on an alarm, its completely hidden and looks stock. So if he can do that, there's only one additional wire to tag for an alarm (door trigger). You have to run the siren and mount a shock sensor, but any monkey can do that.

The biggest thing with finding a good installer is
    1. He solders ALL connections and
    2. He hides his wiring.

The two things I'd like to see added to any alarm is a battery back up siren and a glass break sensor. If he's installing remote start, there should always be a hood pin installed anyway, but make sure that's hooked up to the alarm as well. Some models, its an extra wire; on others, it's built into the safety shut down wire for the remote start (wont remote start if the hood is open)

I also hide the antenna when applicable. Some of the Python's have the valet button built into the antenna, so not really a smart idea then. Reason being, you unplug the antenna, you no longer have a two way pager. So technically, if you dont have the extra features I told you to get, you can break the glass with the porcelain of a spark plug which won't set off the shock sensor (porcelain is harder than glass, so it doesnt take much to shatter a window with it). You can usually see from the outside of the vehicle where the 2-way pager antenna is as its usually on a window. So just unplug that and even if the alarm does go off, it'll never page you. Reach in through the window and pull the hood release. This MIGHT set off the shock sensor. But if you have someone holding the hood so it doesnt pop up hard and you pull gently on the release lever, it won't. Then, just cut the siren wire and/or the battery cables. Sirens are hardly ever hidden well...and most batteries are in plain sight, aside from some of the nicer newer vehicles (there are exceptions).

Once the battery cable is cut, you have an absolutely worthless alarm. That's why I recommend what I do. A regular battery back up won't do crap for an experienced thief, which is why I don't recommend them for your more basic setup. You cut the siren wire (you're already under the hood to cut the battery wires), your alarm is reduced to flashing parking lights. If you thought no one paid attn to the siren...A back-up battery siren is different in that once it starts going off, it will continue to go off even if someone does cut the power. Or, if someone is able to cut power without setting off the alarm, it'll continue to go off.

And no, no one does pay attention to car alarms. But that little blinking light USUALLY stops thieves. If they're just smashing windows for the fun of it, it aint going to help. Thieves also usually stop once an alarm is set off.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2011
    Where do you live in Maine with " mostly drugs" Like bobman said, didnt think much crime was going on in maine. LOL

and who cuts battery wires for a car break in? in the front or back of a business? back street maybe, parking garage possibly.

I'd get the alarm if its that bad.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    faster100 wrote: »

and who cuts battery wires for a car break in?

Not terribly often, but if you want to disable an alarm quickly...there's not a much faster way.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Currently discussing with my audio shop how much he will charge to wire the back up battery and place take the recommendations you advised in regards to placement. He took a vacation won't be back until the 25th but, told me to get him the features I wanted and a few diagrams.
    Thanks for the help.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited April 2011
    Check out Bulldog Alarms and Viper Alarms also on the Amazon site.
    both are Inexpensive added protection

.... sometime just a blinking red LED and a Alarm sticker can be a deterrent.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Viper=Python.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Actually, Viper+Python+Clifford. From what I found.
    The model I am looking at the Python one is the same as the Clifford 3.3X and the Viper 5702.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much, yeah. Clifford has some higher end stuff, but other than that, they're all pretty much the same.

I'm assuming there's a few differences, as another shop in town carried Python and had a large recall on all his equipment that we didn't have with Clifford, but I'm not really sure what the differences are and I've installed all 3.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    As per recommendations, I won this off ebay.
    Loaded with accessories and its is NEW!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270738126234&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    sweet. now grab a back up battery siren (dei 515r) and youre good to go.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, so I need the back up battery siren?
    Oh, I guess I never thought about that, I thought the back up battery would provide juice for the existing siren, if the battery got cut....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2