Hello And Thanks In Advance

G6Whitie
G6Whitie Posts: 15
edited May 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I am the owner of a new 2010 Pontiac G6 Sedan. I work at Best Buy in Fairview Heights, IL and was directed to Polk Audio when I was doing my research for a pair of 6 x 9's as well as 6 1/2's. After the 4th person I talked to said Polk Audio, I knew it was the right choice.

Here is what I picked up:

Pair of DXi690's
Pair of DXi6500's

Now, I have had subwoofers and an amp in the past but never messed with the regular speakers in the vehicle. This time around, its the total opposite. I plan to install these 6 x 9's and 6 1/2's but do not plan to add subwoofers and such.

My only concern is:

Do I need an amp to run these speakers in my car? Or, will they just replace the factory speakers and be ok?

Thanks,
G6Whitie
Post edited by G6Whitie on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2011
    If you work at Best Buy, you can get a RF P400-4 for $90. There's no reason NOT to get an amp.

They'll sound much better, and especially if you're not running any subs, it'll help get a little more bass out of the system as well.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited April 2011
    +1 ^

You don't need an amp, but I'd certainly recommend getting one.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    I appreciate the replies fellas and look forward to seeing what these forums have to offer.

Im excited to get the stock speakers out of there and these new ones in.

I will look into that amp tomorrow at work and let you guys know what I decide on.

G6Whitie
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2011
    Can you return the 6x9's and get a sub instead? Get an amp for sure.
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    I could return the 6x9's but I dont want to. I dont want a sub, just more enjoyable music. I dont want to go through getting a box and taking up room in the trunk. Im not looking to "beat" but the factory speakers have a ton of distortion when I turn the volume up. What bass there is, is very poor and just sounds like garbage.

I cant find the amp listed above at work, which one would I be looking to get if I were shopping at polkaudio.com? Again, dont plan to add anything else than what I have bought so far.

G6Whitie
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    G6Whitie wrote: »
    I dont want a sub, just more enjoyable music. I dont want to go through getting a box and taking up room in the trunk. Im not looking to "beat" .

You don't use a sub to "beat". Chances are that 99.99% of the sub applications you have heard in a car, have all been done wrong. You need the sub to just fill in the lowest frequencies in your music. Frequencies, that your 6.5" components would miss. I am not recommending a setup that would wake up your neighborhood at 2am :smile:
    the factory speakers have a ton of distortion when I turn the volume up. What bass there is, is very poor and just sounds like garbage.

That is because your HU is running out of clean power around 40% of max volume. Beyond this distortion levels rise exponentially and that is what your speakers are faithfully reproducing. Also keep in mind that a typical car on the road will have a high noise floor level. So 30-40% of max volume isn't going to do much. This is why you need an amp.

Running rears causes phase issues and cancellations. If you amp your fronts and the 6x9 at the rear, the 6x9 will drown out your fronts. How many speakers does a home 2ch setup have?

I'm not sure what you sell at BB, but your buddies who do sell car audio stuff at the store should be telling you this.
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    I want to keep everything Polk Audio.

If I were to pick this up: PA330

Would that amp be alright? (i can only imagine yes)

The guys at my store might not know EVERYTHING, thats why I am posting on here. I feel that you all know your stuff.

As far as picking up an amp and putting it to use, which speakers would I hook to the amp, just the rear 6x9's?

Im 25 and over the years, I have forgotten all I knew about car audio.

G6Whitie
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    JUST got off the phone with Polk Audio CS. Im glad I called. The nice lady on the other end of the phone got me set.

I was way off when looking at that 2-channel PA330.

I now know I should be looking for a 4-channel.

Now, my question is, and I should have asked, which one? Im pretty sure she mentioned this one:

-PA660 4-channel

G6Whitie
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    If you want to amp your fronts and rears then yes, you need a 4 ch amp. The 660.4 would give you 75 watts per channel, which would be fine.
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    I should be picking up that PA660 tonight at work. My final question is, what type of amp kit should I consider for this install? (6 1/2's and 6x9's and PA660 4-channel)

arun: you posted while I was typing. i thank you for all your help and information sir.

G6Whitie
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    This is the kit in which I was directed to at work:

Kicker - Z-Series 4-Channel Amplifier Installation Kit

I get it at a great price. I was also directed to a 20' spool of high grade speaker wire that I cant find on Best Buy's site. I got it for a great price too.

I was quoted mid $200's on install though.............which seems high and made me frown.

G6Whitie
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited April 2011
    You work at Best Buy and can't get a cheap install through them?

Honestly, I'd do the work myself. Be surprised how many people I've talked through in installing their own systems (more often on the car forums).
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    When I worked at a shop, we charged $90 for a 4-channel, $90 for component speakers, and $45-75 for the rear speakers, depending on the car.
    -Cody
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    They said $100 for a radio install, $70 for my 6.5's, $100 for my amp install, and $70 for the rear deck install. Thats mid $300's and then my employee status got it down to the mid $200's.

G6Whitie
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Not sure I ever saw what radio you were having put in.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2011
    I am positive you can do it yourself. Most people here have done it themselves, it takes about a full day and patients a computer attached to the internet to look up those last minute issues you thought you wouldn't encounter and then, since you did it yourself any tweaking or changing of the system you can just go and do it.
    I did my install on my Grand Am in about 5 hours. Placing rear speakers, front and tweeters, running amp wires, mounting amps placing stereo in and then fine tuning to what I liked.
    That included lunch break and rest time.
    A few hours of research can save you ~200.
    Most people here will be able to provide links and/or help you with the install anyway.
    Good Luck!
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    exalted: no radio. im keeping the factory one installed as it has a 6 disc changer, xm radio, and an aux output for my ipod.

PerfectCreature: ill look into it but I have my doubts. it will still be a while yet before I have the amplifier. well see what I decide to do......thanks for the help/support though.

G6Whitie
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    They said $100 for a radio install
    exalted: no radio. im keeping the factory one
    G6Whitie

am I the only one confused?
    -Cody
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    in order to wire everything up, they would need to pull the existing unit out, do their work, and put it back in............atleast thats what they said.

G6Whitie
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    You do...and that would be part of the amp install...Odd they would charge separate...and $100, thats rape.
    -Cody
  • G6Whitie
    edited April 2011
    I will have to say something about that then. I could have spent less at Audio Express and got a $1 install..........lol.

As for the initial subwoofer idea, I may just be looking into one. I will need a 5channel amp so I am looking at this:

PA1100.5
    DXi104 (SVC or DVC???)

Any comments/suggestions?

G6Whitie
  • tater6061
    tater6061 Posts: 14
    edited May 2011
    I like to run my high end speakers through an amp, and my tweeters with tightly crossed over tweeters. Using the factory wires for tweets, and wire the amp to my other components. It adds just enough high to keep everything balanced.