Pls Help! Shld I upgrd my Center or my Main spkrs?

Options
TheMaster
TheMaster Posts: 184
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I've saved a couple of bucks during the summer and is itching to spend it to do a minor update on my system. As of now, I have $350.00 in my pocket and would like to use it wisely. For the last couple of weeks, I've been eyeballing the CSi40 that CC is offering ($284.99 + a friend's employee discount), however; I would love to hear first from the pros on what is the right thing to do before I make a move. Should I stick with my fronts and upgrade my center or should I keep saving and get a decent front speakers? I think I can add couple more $$'s to my savings (maybe $100 - $150 more) if all think that it's best to wait.

Please advice on what is the ideal center and front speakers that will match with the fxi30 and PSW450.. Here is my current setup:

MONITOR - 36 SONY HDTV WEGA
AVR - ONKY TX-DX575X
DVD - PIONEER

MAINS - BOSE 301 SERIES
CENTER - BOSE VCS10
SURROUNDS - fxi30
SUB - PSW450

All are Monster Cable wires and were recently tone tested with RS SPL and with AVIA cd.

Thank you very much for your time guys....

Glenn
HT:

DENON AVR-3803
DENON DVM-1805
SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
ADCOM GFA-555
ADCOM GFA-2535
ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
POLK CSi40
POLK FXi30's
POLK RTi38's
POLK CSi20
POLK PSW 450
SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
Hafler DH-500
Sony CDP-CX235
Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
Post edited by TheMaster on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Either way you go, your going to have a seriously mismatched front sound stage. Honestly, save your money untill you can do the mains and the fronts at the same time. Just my $.02
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I agree with Frank, you will have a very odd front stage if you don't do all three(3).

You might be able to fit a pair of RTi28's and a CSi30....but I am not sure if that's what you are looking for. The prices on them are seriously low right now. Depending on your friends discount the RTi38 would be an excellent main choice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, because of the mismatch in sound that will be coming from the Bose and the Polk I would get the center and the fronts at the same time or plan on getting them close to each other.

With prices the way they are you could probably find them for around 5-600 if you look hard. That would be for the RT800i's or the RTi70' as fronts and the 40 as a center.

If you are looking for bookshelf fronts look for the RTi28 or RTi38

If you would like towers look for the RT70i or the older but still good RT800i.

For the center look at either the CSi40 or the CS400i. The 400 is older but is a serious center speaker that you may find for a cheaper price.

Best of luck
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • TheMaster
    TheMaster Posts: 184
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I appreciate your feedback guys. Much respect to you guys and to others who are always around this forum to help out when needed. Again, thanks a whole bunch fellas..

Glenn
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I sorta disagree, with the 'wait and do it all together' side of the question.

If you find a deal now, move on it. The 301's have a little more 'beef' to them than the center, so if you force me to pick one or the other, do your center channel now (if you have a good deal in front of you).

Plus, those Bose centers are fetching a decent price on ebay, you should be able to un-**** it fairly easy.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The Rti38's are 227.90, minus employee discount right now at CC. If it doesn't ring up that way, tell the employee to look them up on the CC website and ADD TO CART. If you don't it's a different price. Emphasize ADD TO CART!
    Good luck.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Agree with Russ about striking while the deal is good, but I'd go mains, if you can get your hands on the added coinage in time.

Way I see it, if the match is bad I can listen without a center for a while, but mains are a must.

It's possible that you can sell the front trio quickly enough to fund a center before they are gone. Maybe even as an employee, you can lay one away.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    So Russ & Tour are ganging up huh, trying to start some crap huh!
    Well EFF, EFF ,EFF, & EFF.....& EFF!

(pretty good impersonation dontchathink!;) )
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The get a deal idea should be a given...a deal is a deal whether its everything or not.

If he has a friend at CC, I don't see why he couldnt fit a front stage into his budget. He has an adequate subwoofer for bass distribution, and small bookshelves are a Polk specialty.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.