"best of" lp marathon...

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Don't ask me why but I have been on an lp buying and playing marathon this week. Close to 100 lp's on their way or already here. Over 20 played over the weekend. So far, what has made the "best of" list? Well, I found one auction with 5 REO Speedwagon lp's and another with 5 Styx lp's. All 10 of these have excellent sonics! I'm quite surprised that these two groups have such superior sounding lp's over a few hundred others I have. One other one is Nancy Sinatra: How does that grab you. Keep in mind I am a nancy sinatra fan from a few years back after what I heard her do to my SDA's. Some pretty awesome mixing overall and for whatever reason I like the material as well.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2003
    Options
    100, that's a good vinyl binge. ;) I put a nice dent in wallet a couple of months ago buying vinyl. I've put a bit of pause on buying for a little bit.

A few of my favorites:

Neil Young - On the Beach
    The White Stripes - Elephant
    Radiohead - O.K. Computer
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM 30th aniversary
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have DSOTM 30th but truthfully I've heard the original so many times I'm having a hard time getting it on the table. I'll keep an eye out for the other ones you mention.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    max,

If you can find a good copy of Rickie Lee Jones' self-titled album give "Chuck E's In Love" a spin. Unbeleiveably crystalline sound... :)
    d660453xueu.jpg
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Keep the suggestions coming. There is still $10 left in my bank account!
    madmax

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have found a few gems lately too. I was shocked at how good some of these sounded. I am fairly new to the analog world, and have found that it is strange to listen to music that you have heard all your life and realize that all this time you have been missing out on so much detail.

(Huey Lewis - Sports) Lots of dynamics. Some really deep rich bass. Gives your sub a nice workout.

(Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles) Excellent Imaging, Very clean subtle details.

(Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon) This is actually the new anniversary vinyl. Over all this album sounds outstanding! There are a couple spots on the album that I think could sound better, but overall was well worth the money. (highly recommended)

(Doobie Brothers - Just about any album) What can you say about a band that has two drummers, that can play in perfect sync. I love the percussion in these albums. The drums are so tight an precise.

Well I think I'll stop there for now. I would love to hear some more recommendations from others.

Happy listening!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey Max, if you want we stop by the used record store here and pick up Loverboy and Linda Ronstadt. They have PLENTY of copies! ;)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I don't have many LP's but my favorite is Nightwish "Century Child". Very smooth vocals and great dynamics.

Maurice
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Hey Max, if you want we stop by the used record store here and pick up Loverboy and Linda Ronstadt. They have PLENTY of copies! ;)

I'm thinking that was a joke but I'm not getting it :confused:
    madmax