CS400 vs CS1000

Options
psuie23
psuie23 Posts: 36
edited August 2003 in Speakers
All -

I have messaged before about my center chanel delema. I currently have the cs275 and some rt 2000s. My center seems somewhat out of place/overpowered by my fronts. I am thinking of upgrading to the cs 1000.

I don't want to spend bookoo bucks on the center chanel upgrade....i found a local place selling an out of box cs 400 for ~$150. With a gift card I have, it would be about $90 out of my pocket. Not too bad...

But i am still enticed by the idea of the cs1000. How much better is it than the cs 400? I heard that it is somewhat overkill. I am interested in some more view points on the matter.
Post edited by psuie23 on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The cs1000 is very scarce to find and only has the advantage of 2 powered woofers from the cs400, the 400 is a fine center speaker but it in itself is getting hard to find and outdated as polk is coming out with a new line later this year and then the 400 would be about 3 series back from the currrent new line.. If this is the speaker that matches the rest of your setup then by all means get a match, but if your starting from scratch, the RTi line is selling out everywhere for anticipation of the new line.. and selling cheap!! i wouldn't limit myself to the old speakers when improvments are around the corner..

and if your speakers are calibrated correctly they shouldnt over power each other, for the most part.. i if in your shoes would get a cs400i or wait and upgrade to the rti, or the new series coming in a few months
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • psuie23
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I am not really starting from scratch. I initially bought the RT2000Oi's with a CS175. That was too small. I upgraded the center to the CS275. It still seems small to me. I matched the sound level output to my fronts using a meter. It is at the right volume setting. It just doesn't sound right to me. I was told that the matching on the CS400 or CS1000 would be a lot closer.

I don't think I am going to upgrade my fronts any time soon...they were pretty pricy and i like them (although they could be a bit crisper on the high end).
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I haven't heard the CS1000 but I do own the CS400i... and I still love that darn thing. It does match my "old" RTXXXi line of speakers. I would think the CS400 would be a great match for you fronts. THe CS275 is just to small to do that job. Get the 400.. and if it doesn't do that job.. sell it.. lots of people are still looking for them.. you'd break out even... or even make a profit on the deal.

good luck.

al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Agreed, go with the 400 and you wont be disapointed. If you can get it for $150 its a GREAT price.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I guess i should have read more closely, yeah get the 400 and be done with it, I'm sure it "should suit you" fine, if not put the search out for the 1000
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    For $90 out of pocket, bag the 400. If you find it wanting, sell it. They are ebaying for $200 to $230.

I have a 400, and I doubt you'll find it wanting.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have a cs1000p and I'd say go for the 400. I'm happy with mine, but really the built in subs aren't used, and are pretty much wasted. I'm running it as a small speaker only because there's no way that the thing can really duplicate a full range signal.....(that's not to say it doesn't sound good.....)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • psuie23
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input. I'm going to go take a listen to the 400 after work, and most likely pick it up.

thanks for all the help folks. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Get CS400i, the sound comes from this speaker is crystal clear with astounding detail. In my opinion the best center channel speaker Polk Audio ever made.

Buy it whereever you can find. You'd love it forever.
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)