Options
2»

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2011
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    but speakers with high enough sensitivity will make you hear some noisy sounds?

Thus my signal to noise comment.A higher noise floor will definately be more noticable on a higher sensitivity speak.Whereas higher THD I don't think will be any more apparent ,in fact if anything less of an issue as the amp will not be pushed as hard.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I agree as a guy with 99db speakers. THD is one cause of the aural signature of an amp, and there are people who prefer the sound of relatively high (class A) or low (class D) distortion amps. NO ONE like a low signal to noise ratio, and it become more apparent the higher sensitivity the speakers have. Class D amps have screwed up the "Tech Specs" of amps a little bit as some class D amps have great numbers and sound terrible, but my general rule of thumb is to look for amplifiers with a very high S/N ratio i.e. above 110db.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2011
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    THD is one cause of the aural signature of an amp, .
    This is true and it should be noted that the .5% figure consists almost entirely of the even oder(second)harmonic variety.It is generally regarded as the least sonically offensive and can add a pleasing amount of warmth (as we will call it:biggrin:).However if that .5% figure were indicative of odd order harmonics one would expect the sonic signature to be somewhat different and might prove sonically objectionable?The proof is in the listening.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Your average speaker has more than .5% distortion, I wouldn't worry about it Fred. :D

Want a less distortion speakers? Build an OB speakers. No box means less woofer distortion. :biggrin:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Want a less distortion speakers? Build an OB speakers. No box means less woofer distortion. :biggrin:
    Yes, but with it comes a cacophony of sound. :biggrin:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Yes, but with it comes a cacophony of sound. :biggrin:

The box doesn't come the cacophony of sound? It gotta be something wrong then. :tongue:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin: