6x9 or 6 1/2 comp

broncoberry
broncoberry Posts: 7
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 2003 dodge ram quad cab the front doors have 6x9 and i wanted to know which sound better between the momo 6x9 or momo 6 1/2 comps and more power out of them
Post edited by broncoberry on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited August 2003
    In general... 99% of the time...comps will sound way better then 6x9's

Do they still make 6x9's...thought those died in the 80's?

good luck:D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    he's right
    oval speakers do not sound as good as round speakers...therefore the 6 1/2" speakers will sound better
    you can even buy the mm6 component system since you said you wanted power...they handle 150watts rms(continuous)
    i believe they make an adapter plate to fit 6 1/2" speakers and a tweeter in yout stock 6x9 hole
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2003
    ahhh - a fellow dodge man... i like u... you're my new best friend.

as such - i shall yield my full audio attention to thee.

but to answer your question - you've gotta answer some of these...

1- what is the goal of your system? (sub, and front/rear speakers with an amp for your highs as well as subs.... sub and front / rear speakers with subs on amp and 4 speakers runnin off the cd player... just fronts and rears, no subs, runnin on amp... just fronts and rears, no subs, runnin on the cd player ?????)

2- when are u letting me drive it?

here's why i ask... if you are going to do subs / fronts / rears / and amp up everything -- then get the component set for the front, put the tweeter at the top of the door panel just below the window sill and about an inch in front of the dash, with the 6.5" midbass driver in the 6x9 hole (they make the adaptor plate like cody said -- u can either put the 6.5 in alone or the 6.5 with the tweet -- in u're vehicle you'd want the tweet higher tho - so get a hole saw and put it up by the top of hte door -- i tried mine up on the top of the dash -- too SHRILL... they're perfect at "elbow height".

do the comps in front, the some coaxials in back, dump about 150 or more to your fronts (if u do the momo's)... 50 - 75 to the backs... and it'll be good stuff.

if you're running yoru highs off deck power and a sub off an amp-- do not buy components -- it just wont be "good stuff" -- you'd want high sensitivity coaxials -- like the Polk DB Juniors or the EX III's -- good nice reliable stuff that SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL, in complete contrast to most of the other junk on the market.

if you are running highs off deck power with no sub... coaxials obviously... db or exiii.

if you're runnin highs off an amp with NO SUB... then you will probably want to run the polk MOMO 6x9's up front with the momo 6.5's in back... and put about 100 x 4 to the system, crossing the speakers over at like 60 hertz high pass. lacking a sub the 6x9 will provide almost as much bass as an 8" sub -- two 6x9's = maybe 75% the bass of two 8" subs... dont quote me on that, but u get the point... the bigger cone, lower freq response = more bass. and lacking a sub -- more bass to fill out the low end is helpful.

once u get nailed down exactly what you're after we can give you some more specific answers. (bascially just answer the above question :) )
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2003
    also -- a GOOD 6x9 - like an OLD Polk DB series (yes there was another DB before what i've dubbed affectionately the DB Junior) and the DX -- which from specs seem quite close to what the NEW MOMO 6x9 coaxials is -- will sound disgustingly GOOD in comparison to any other 6x9 you've ever heard... most 6x9's sound **** - i'll grant you that -- the better polk stuff does not -- and if u are just doin 4 speakers and an amp -- that polk momo 6x9 might make the difference between happiness and sorrow for you.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing