2 10'' Kicker L7's

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i want to get 2 10'' L7's and i was wondering what amp i should get. They are 4 ohm subs and i don't really know much about amps and ohms. Also what would be a good box to put them in, a sealed or ported box. And how big a box should i get. Also are they good subs. So can anyone help me out?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    Options
    square subs sound like crap...no matter who makes them...its just the way it is...thats why 99.99% of subs are round...they sound better
    but square subs will hit harder...more surface area...
    so if you want loud...these are the subs...if you want any type of sound quality....go with something else
    but they have a low sensitivity rating...meaning that it takes more to push them
    im not sure how they compare to round speakers....but lets say you have 2 subs...both get 100 watts rms(continuous)
    one has a sensitivity rating of 85.6(the L7 has this rating) and the other has a rating of 88...which is about average...the one with the 88 rating is going to be louder
    but if youre stuck on these speakers...theyre rated at 600watts rms each at 4 ohms
    and you want to
    so find an amp that has 1200watts rmsx1(channel)at 2 ohms(two 4ohm speakers has a load of 2ohms)
    1200x1 @2ohms
    im going to recommend the rockford fosgate bd1500.1...it puts out 1500x1@2ohms...which the kickers can handle
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I would need two amps then if it is a one channel amp
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Then just mount them in parallel on the same channel. That would be how two four ohm loads become a single two ohm load. Read some of the other posts to better educate yourself, it will make things a lot easier on yourself.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    Options
    he's correct, even though its a one channel, you can still put two pairs of speaker wire into the positive, and two pairs to the negative
    to wire your speakers in parallel
    connect the positive leads of both speakers to the amps pos. terminal, and negative to negative in the same fashion
    that gives you a 2 ohm load
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    Options
    dude L7's only come in DUAL 2 or DUAL 4 ohm coil versions...

so firstr - do u have the dual 2 or the dual 4 versions... ???

secondly -- you'll need @ least 750 per sub - preferably a little more ...

1500 - 2000 x 1 would be good -- just be sure itsat the right impedance -- so figure out if its D4 or D2.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    Options
    the 4 ohm model

so a 1500 1 channel would do fine?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    Options
    if the subs are 4 ohm...then yes sir the 1500 would be perfect
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2003
    Options
    if they're the dual 4 ohm you'll either need 2 amps or you'll have to run the pair of subs at either 4 or 1 ohm... If you can still switch to the dual 2 ohm you can use a 2 or and 8 ohm load... for the 2 ohm load you'd need to bridge the speakers in the box in series and at the amp in parallel or visaversa it makes no diff where you do what but you want one of each bridge type... and example of how to do this is as follows.

When mounting the subs in the enclosure you'll have one set of terminal's on each side of the magnet, one for each Voice Coil (vc) You'll also have a "box terminal" inside the box it hooks up to the sub and outside the box it hooks up to the amp. attach the positive that hooks up to the box terminal to the positive of the first vc. hook the negative of the box terminal to the negative of the second vc. hook the negative of the first vc to the positive of the second vc. this will give you a 1 ohm load if they are dual 2 ohm speakers and a 2 ohm load if they are dual 4 ohm. you would then finish mountin the speakers in the box. to hook up to the amp you would run from the positive of the amp to the positive of the box terminal leading to each speaker and from the negative of the amp to the negative of each box terminal. overall this will give you a 2 ohm load with dual 2 ohm VC speakers and a 4 ohm load with dual four ohm vc speakers...

Hope that helped :D:D

bty i've heard that the l7's and l5's do best with vented enclosures. and typically you'll need to find one that is designed for that sub. they take up a lot of space and will cost a few bills but you'll get the best sound. most kicker dealers will have something along those lines available...

Happy installing and enjoy the system :D:D

bty if you realy want to hit em hard and can afford a grand for an amp look into the usamps 2000x which will put out 2000wx1 rms at 4 ohm, if you have the dual 4 ohm vc subs it would sound sweet :D:D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    Options
    the l7s dont come in a single 4 ohm voice coil?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i'd doubt they would...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.