thoughts on an upgrade

aspire
aspire Posts: 2
edited April 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Currently running 2 12" Kicker CVR's out of the ported kicker enclosure for the pair, powered by Hifonics HFI 1500w @ 1 ohm, 1000 @ 2 ohm ect and considering getting a pair of 12" 4 ohm Polk SR's and wiring to 1ohm so i can still use my Hifonics amp. already fell in love my MOMO 6.5 components but havent really heard Polk's SR series subwoofers, I listen to everything from metal, to rock to rap to techno and it'd be going into a Celica hatchback so SQ is very important, though i still want a bit more punch.

Thoughts? Appreciate it!
Post edited by aspire on

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited March 2011
    Haven't heard any Polk subs but the Alpine Type R's are a big stepup from the CVR's and can be had for not much more $$$.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2011
    SR's are sound quality speakers, they're not meant for getting very loud. So what are you trying to accomplish?

If you just want to get loud, I'd look somewhere else, if youre looking for pure sound quality at the expense of SPL, then get the SR's.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2011
    The sub should play 2-3 octaves at the most. The SR sub in a sealed 1.2-1.3 cu ft box would give you a good flat response.

But, if I were you and was looking to 'upgrade' the sound, I would upgrade the momo components to the SR components before I upgraded the sub.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited March 2011
    exalted512 wrote: »
    If you just want to get loud, I'd look somewhere else, if youre looking for pure sound quality at the expense of SPL, then get the SR's.
    -Cody

Really???
    They are not DDs and Sundowns but i yes, SRs can get loud.. and yes, SRs are SQ subs, not SPL.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • KYFHO
    KYFHO Posts: 76
    edited March 2011
    If you want sound quality, take a look at the JL 12W6's. I have been running them for years and have yet to have any problems. The sound quality is extremely hard to beat and they are more than loud enough.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2011
    Vital wrote: »
    Really???
    They are not DDs and Sundowns but i yes, SRs can get loud.. and yes, SRs are SQ subs, not SPL.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here...
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited March 2011
    ^^^ LOL "but i yes" can def get confusing haha! sorry about that.

What i'm saying is that SR124 def CAN get loud :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited March 2011
    Got ya. I'm not saying they cant...just saying thats not what theyre made for. And I dont have any long term experience with the SR's, but I was going through MOMOs left and right and I wasnt even overpowering them because I was listening to it loud for long amounts of time. Maybe the SR's are different, but the MOMO's were definitely not built to stand a lot of abuse. The components would eat up gobs of power, but the subs were quite the opposite.

-Cody
  • Vital
    edited March 2011
    Never had momo sub but i keep on hearing from different sources how much older Polk's subs sucked. I'd assume momos would fall into that category.

I drive my SR124 as hard as i can for a few months now and count be happier with it. If i was to add some bass boost/eq to make it louder im sure it would handle it like a champ, i'm just not into burping noises...
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Priestslc
    Priestslc Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    I just ordered a SR104-DVC and a 1 Cu. Ft. sealed enclosure for it, I listen to allot of Techno and prefer to get "Precise" bass, I previously had a 7000 series DVC 10" Eclipse sub that was simply amazing.

I have never even heard a SR sub, I went shopping and heard a DXi 10" and compared to the kickers, Rockford's, & JBL's that were there the bass that came from the Polk was clean, tight and precise, it certainly stood apart from the rest of the subs there, going through the same 500 watt alpine amp.

I can only imagine that the SR subs are significantly better then the DXi's, and the DXi had great volume, and very deep bass.

I will let you know how the setup goes once I get it all set up, still waiting for it all to arrive.
  • Vital
    edited March 2011
    SR is perfect for techno. Hardcore techno/gabber/hardstyle is mostly what i listen to and sr124 in sealed is waaaaaay better for it then db series 12'' in ported i had before. Entire low end range sounds completely different - more responsive, louder, punchier....

Gatta admit thou, when it comes to dubstep or drum'n'bass there's times i wish my enclosure was ported for that half a second more of a bass extension but since you can't have both i'd MUCH rather stay with sealed as so far SR124 in sealed is the best sub combo i've ever owned.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • aspire
    aspire Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    thanks for the input, but for those who have heard both, are the polk 12" SR's much louder than CVR's. I am content with my kickers in all aspects besides loudness, they handle the blasting i put em through. I originally wanted 2 12" CVX's instead of 2 12" CVR's to give you an idea of what im going for