Help me find good tweeters for my Dxi 6500 woofers

Options
drjoeshmoe
drjoeshmoe Posts: 6
edited March 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok,
I have a 2004 toyota tundra... I just replaced the front speakers with polk Dxi 650's... the problem is my truck has the factory tweeters high up on the doors.

I can either keep the factory tweeters running which sound a little harsh and are not real tweeters, or I can disconnect the factory tweeters since the dxi's have tweeters.
Or my other choice is to get some good tweeters to replace the factory.

My questions is: what polk tweeter would best match the dxi 650's?
I was looking at a used pair of db3000's...
the db3000's do not have the crossovers included.... would it be alright to just go to radio shack and get a capacitor or do I need a good crossover system?

any ideas or help?
thanks
Post edited by drjoeshmoe on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited March 2011
    Options
    + 1 for getting dxi component set instead of EVERYTHING else you mentioned.

If that's not an option just disconnect stock tweets and use your polk coax.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • drjoeshmoe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    thanks..
    I guess I will try disconnecting my tweets then...I will be changing out the stock speaker adapters for dxi's as the factrory mounts make the speakers sit too close to the door panels...just waiting on my dynamat speaker kit to arrive and I will have the door panels back off.

can anyone recommend another set of 6 1/2's for the rear? should I keep them matched and get another set of DXI's?
  • drjoeshmoe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    What are your goals with the system? Why are you turned off by the components?

I was just trying to replace the stock...I got a 50 X 4 (22 RMS X 4) Pioneer deck and was just trying to upgrade on a budget.

I wanted to do something about the stock tweeters...I guess the easiest way is to disconnect them...for now.

Components would be great but I may piece them together used via ebay.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You can buy raw drivers from Parts Express or Madisound. Those Vifa neo ring radiator are very close to the SR tweets and run $25-30 a piece.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D