Need a sub box

sterlingdax
sterlingdax Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just installed a Polk system in my 2005 Silverado, wish I came here to research, after reading some of these threads, I would have done things a bit differently...

I spoke to a Crutchfield person via webchat and he recommended I go with the db series after I expressed an interest in Polk, pointing me to the db series (I didn't give him a price range) I looked at the same-priced DXi set, and figured that since all the specs seemed to be the same, that he knew what he was talking about, and ordered a set of 6 1/2" Components for the front, a 4x6" Plate for the rear door and picked the JVC KW-XR810 receiver because it had rear iPod input, I was tired of the iPod hanging out of my radio. The Bluetooth was icing on the cake. I also ordered the PA 200.4 amp because it seemed to match the RMS rating of the rear speakers. I got this information from the Crutchfield site, so it may or may not have been good info. I'm happy with the setup, I just got the truck used, and the door speakers had holes in them, so just about anything would be an improvement.

I had a Kicker IX402 (40Wx2, 120w? bridged) and an 8" Bazooka tube in the shed left over from many moons ago, and installed those as well. I originally got the tube because of a lack of space in a smaller truck. Well...it's been in my shed a long, long time and the screws holding it together are rusted...so I figure it's days are numbered and want to replace it. The amp seems to be ok, though. Honestly, the speaker seems ok, I just don't know what years of shed-life have done to it's longevity.

I have been looking at one of the Polk 10" speakers, it seems the MM is shorter, and would be a good fit for a box that fits under the rear seat. The box I was looking at was the Q Customs box that fits under either the passenger or driver seat. The problem is that it's $250. I have looked at other boxes and none seem to be in that price range unless they have a sub already. The problem with those boxes are that they are all tapered, and not a good fit under the seat. I dont' know much of anything about speaker boxes, but is this in-line with a quality box? Where would I go to get a box built for that area, and how much would I expect to pay? I don't want to lose any floor space in the truck, I need it for kids and dogs and such. The other side has my amps installed there, so the only other option of a full length box is out.

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by sterlingdax on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited March 2011
    If the box u're referring to is fiberglass box then yes, it's expensive simply due to the fact that fiberglass is expensive, nevermind that most people don't even want to think of working with it since it's hard to work with.
    If it's "molded" hard plastic box - not as strong as fiberglass but price would still be in that range since.

You have to realize that if you find a box that is made for a specific vehicle (custom molded/fitted) it will ALWAYS cost more simply because its not universal box ANYONE can find use for.

Got a link to this box?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • sterlingdax
    sterlingdax Posts: 5
    edited March 2011
    It's here at Crutchfield and here is a factory page

I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to foolishly run out and spend $250 when I could spend less, or even find out that the box in question would rattle.

I also forgot to ask is the Kicker amp enough to push the 10" sub, or do I need to look for another. Going by my limited knowledge of staying within the RMS rating, it should be fine.
  • tater6061
    tater6061 Posts: 14
    edited May 2011
    I have a local shop that sells these silverado boxes for 10's 12's carpet, or rhino lined. I got one and it is 5/8 MDF down fire and it cost 50 bucks. They are built very well I have a pair of Boston G3 1244 subs and only had to grind about 1/4 of an inch out of the back,inside to clear the 6.75 inch mounting depth of the subwoofer. I can give you the measurements if you wanna build your own.