help

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
alright heres the deal, i gotta 93 saab 900 convertible turbo, its got two 4"s in the front, two 6 1/2's in the back and a trunk thats cut off from the rest of the car because of the part where the top goes down into, so again the trunk is sealed so i need something thats enough to be heard loud even when the top is down (which ive heard greatly reduces :( ) 93 is the last year they made all metal model so keep this in mind if it matters any. i would like to leave the speakers alone because they are fine, but if you really insist go ahead and recommend :D, alright, im looking for two 12s i like a lot of rock and rap and a wide range as well, i know 10s are nice for the cleaner punch and 12s tend to roll, but again if you insist... im pretty much open to any suggestions here, suggestion hunting in the amp department too as well as head unit huntin', lol i have an equalizer already that is my cd player, and im replacing the tuner and im looking at alpines cda-7995 has a lot that i need retails 550 but i found it for 279 new... but again im lookin for any suggestions i have my ideas but i would love for you to tell me yours thanks a ton
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited August 2003
    where are the back speakers located? on the rear deck?
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    two alpine type R 12" dual 2 ohm coil SWR-1221D and an mtx 8100D / 1501D amp.

boom boom bitty boom.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    lol, the speakers are on the sides of the car in the back, and the alpine 12s you mentioned i found for 109.99 each and the 8100d is 349.99 and theres no price on the other yet, "coming soon" so i dunno, i had previously looked at those subs but i think i should get better because i can afford something a little more you know, but if you think those are right i dunno, just letting you know if you want to give me something better go right ahead...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    guy at tweeter told me to set up two 12" JL 12w3v2 subs and set them up with a JL 500/1 mono amp and they will "RAIL" as the guy exclamed, (they get all hyped up and almost nut themselves when they explain this stuff to me) then he said if i want when i get more money i could buy a second 500/1 and put each sub on its own amp... dunno those are 249$ each (errr i think i can get them for 179$) and the 500/1 is like 400 something $, ... i got another recommendation to go with two 12" square kicker solo baric L5's and then just use the 600.1 amp to kick them through... i can get the l5s for 129 each and L7s for 189...the amp is 339$ ... dunno help... knock these ideas down or back them up whichever just help me eliminate some choices...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    well what you could do as far as speaker placement, with some custom work, you could put the subs in the back deck since the speakers are on the sides
    i dont have any recommendations right now as im in a hurry
    but do you want sound quality, being loud, or a combination of both?
    as for knils, jl is worthless for the money, you can get much better for much less
    and i dont know why you would want to buy 1 amp for each sub when you can have one for both unless it gives you more power
    what are the ratings of the subs and the ratings of the amps(rms rating and what does it say for watts at 4 ohm and watts at 2 ohms)
    as far as the kickers
    theyre loud!
    but they dont have any sound quality
    so it depends on what youre going for
    but i would get the l7s over the l5s
    2 10"L7s with the right amp would hit pretty damn hard
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    see - problem is - guy at tweeter shoved his head up his **** -- and what he saw in there was JL.

the w3 is nothing compared to the type R.

two type R 12's with 750 watts each will shove a nice thick cast iron "rail" right up the rear end of the w3's on two 500/1's.

cody - the 500/1 is an output regulated amp - does 500 x 1 at 4 / 3/ or 2 ohms regardless.

you're being fooled by price... i can get you a sub for 140 dollars, a sub for 65 dollars, and if i blindfolded you - you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. you just have to know what you're looking for, what you're buying.

the type R 12 is vastly underrated at 300 watts... it'll take 650-750 watts rms all damn day.

kicker's subs are loud but not really that great sounding, and they're power hungry as hell -- 500 watts on an L5 is about half as loud as 500 watts on anything else.

i really think two MOMO 12's or two Type R 12's with like 650(for the momo) to 750 (for the R) would stand up to or piss on most anything in the same league.

if you want bigger/ better -- great... get a couple IDmaxes and a 2500 watt amp and call it a day. that'll run you like 1300 bucks total and should blow the trunk lid off your car.

and the single 81000D / 1501D puts out a good 500 watts more than two JL 500/1's put together.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    an about the head unit? alpine cda-7995, can get it for 279 tell me if you find cheaper, and a question... to control the volume on just my subs..i cant do it with a regular ol' regular head unit without all that subwoofer level control, phase control, bass engine all that? i need a head unit with all that? any other options i can control my subs with besides getting a new head unit? if not either back up that alpine one or shoot it down an gimme some mo' alternatives on not only the best that will work for me but whats worth the money and good value :D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    not sure which head unit that is, but alpine is a good brand for head units
    while no you dont need all that stuff for the subs, almost every head unit now will have a bass enhancement or loudness option
    its prett much standard now
    if you do have a sub...its preferrable to have 3 pairs of pre outs
    front, rear, and sub...and the higher the voltage the better...i will never buy one if its below 4 volts
    but thats personal preference....but 4volts is also very common for your mid-upper level head units...and for $280...it needs to have 4volt preouts
    check out sounddomain.com, carmedia1.com, electronicscity.com, and onlinecarstereo.com for that head unit...they usually have the best prices
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    check this, i was offered a pair of polk/momo 12's each in their own sealed boxes, a 1700 watt amp and the wiring kit and instalation for 600$... i dont know the model numbers or anything but everything was used by my friend and he said the subs were 350 each and the amp was 500, all new, and the wiring kit he got he will give me and will also install it for me for 600, im gonna get the price down to 500 if i can or close to it, so i figure plus what he paid for the boxes it was about 1500 so hes giving it to me for just over 1/3 the price, but he has used them..and hes used them in small competitions as well so i mean, its not like these subs have been babied, and with a 1700 watt amp im sure they took a little beating... just tell me what you think does it sound like it could be a good deal? i still havent got a chance to go hear them and check it out... but whatcha think, and the 7995 is a great head unit, retails at 500 has a whole lotta stuff if you wanna check it out here:: http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html my head unit is a stock clarion made for saab the head unit isnt the actual cd player its just a tuner, i have an equilizer thats my cd player under it... and theres no control on the bass of subs.. theres just the simple knob that controls the bass for the speakers... but really check that head unit out i think its a kick **** head unit... looks sharp especially because my console is all black..the silver//blue//black would look very sharp, and it had a remote and it has the 3 preouts and the 4v preout you were speaking of... and swing mechanism (wtf?) and detachable face for those greedy theifs :D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    sry for the crappy dead link up there that just leads to main page, check this one, 279$ http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpcda7995
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing