VAC tube amp on the way

Options
doctor r
doctor r Posts: 837
edited March 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
I finally decided to upgrade my amp. A couple of years ago I bought a VAC preamp that amazed me and now have a partner for it. On Monday I should be taking delivery of a VAC PA100/100 105 watt per channel KT88 based amp.
Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Once it all checks out I will make my Shanling SP80 EL34 based monblocks avaliable for sale with local pickup in North Florida at a very good price.
It is going to be a long weekend waiting on that Monday delivery.

Rick
integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
server Wolf Alpha 3SX
phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
speakers Rockport Mira II
cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
rack Adona Eris 6dw
ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
Post edited by doctor r on

Comments

• blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Looks like a really nice piece of equipment! Congrats.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nice amp!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Looks very Nice! Congrats!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2011
    Options
    VAC is very nice gear--congratulations.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The VAC PA100/100 arrived yesturday without UPS managing to break it though the box looked like they tried.:biggrin: Sadly I only was able to play it for about one hour after working late and the system change out. The KT88 sound is defenitely different from the EL34 with increased extension at the highs and better control of the bass. The mids are not as sweet, but the music just sounds more natural, more correct if that is a possible term in this case. I debated all week if I would just keep both power amps, but I can not justify that idea so I will be finding a new home for my el34 based monoblocks. Anyone close to the NE Florida area that may be interested drop me a PM. I will officially list them here in the near future. (Shanling SP80 pair $800 - local pickup)

Rick
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Doctor R wrote: »
    . . . the KT88 sound is defenitely different from the EL34 with increased extension at the highs and better control of the bass. The mids are not as sweet, but the music just sounds more natural, more correct if that is a possible term in this case.

Nice Amp! You didn't mention the brand of tubes involved in the monoblocks or the new VAC.

I'm wondering if the differences you are noticing are mainly the difference between the power tubes (EL34 vs KT88's), or the preamp tubes (the 12AU7's) in your new amp.

I know it's crazy for me to even mention rolling as you've only been hot for an hour, but depending upon what came from the seller in your new amp, I would certainly consider auditioning Mullard, Valvo and Telefunken 12AU7 variations in front of those KT88's.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks Inspired
    I understand your thoughts. The 12au7 drivers and splitters presently employed are actually Phillips JAN 6189s. The KT88s are VAC sourced. On my other amps I was using NOS Sylvania 6sl7 and 6sn7s in front of SED EL34s. I had rolled alot of tubes through the Shanlings to arrive at this combination. I am actually hoping to not be on the tube rolling coaster with this amp, and just enjoy it for a while. The Shanlings actually sound excellent in thier present configuration, the VAC just sound a little better.
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ha...Ha "tube rolling roller coaster" comes with the territory, I'm sure you know that. That's part of the game and fun with tube gear. Congrats on a sweet looking amp!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I know I will be lined up at the turnstiles to board the coaster in the near future. I would like to try some of the Treasure and psvane tubes when I have some funds avaliable. I am interested in trying to find some modern production tubes I like. After rolling alot of 12AX7s through my VAC pre I did find that the VAC sourced ones sound the best. Go figure. I guess because they carefully voiced them knowing what tubes would be in them caussing a synergy I could not better with NOS tubes. I have a lot of NOS 12AX7s (Mullard, Tele, ect) that I need to find new homes for. Also 5691s, NOS 1940s Sylvania 6SL7s, NOS Tung Sol 6SU7s ect. When you change equipment and take inventory it can be surprising what you may have stashed away.:redface:
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • heiney9
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I hear you Rick!! In the short time I've owned my 4 tube pieces I've accumulated a LOT of tubes. I'm compulsive that way. I just didn't realize how many until I started packing for a move. Christ, I have a lot of tubes.

That being said, I am interested in your 12AX7's and 6SL7's and possibly the 6SU7's if they are the older Tung Sol brown base round plate from the late 40's early 50's.

Give me a hollar when you decide to move some of that stuff. Hopefully it won't be too soon since I'm moving and getting settled and have some expenses coming up soon.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Those do look sweet. Congrats.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks Inspired
    I understand your thoughts. The 12au7 drivers and splitters presently employed are actually Phillips JAN 6189s. The KT88s are VAC sourced. On my other amps I was using NOS Sylvania 6sl7 and 6sn7s in front of SED EL34s. I had rolled alot of tubes through the Shanlings to arrive at this combination. I am actually hoping to not be on the tube rolling coaster with this amp, and just enjoy it for a while. The Shanlings actually sound excellent in thier present configuration, the VAC just sound a little better.

The only reason I mentioned it is that I have fiddled around a bit with the power tube in my amp (6L6's, 5881's and derivitives) and found the differences to be less pronounced than the 12AT7/ECC81's in front of them.

I know this is very subjective, but I just rolled a $140 matched quad of Valvo Hamburg ECC81's in place of a $500 matched quad of supposed "holy grail" super premium Telefunken ECC801's and I feel the Valvo's sound quality is "3 times" better. The change in soundstage dimension (both width and especially depth) and the quality of highs and mids is now simply astounding.

The Telefunkens were very good, but sometimes "brittle" sounding. I also have some decent Electro Harmonix, RCA's and Amperex tubes that don't even come close to the Telefunken's. The Valvos are exceptional, but I still have a sneaking suspicion Mullard Blackburns may yield even more improvement and have some on the way.

I know you don't want to consider it, but your ears may be rewarded by finding out what combinations others who own a PA100/100 have tried, and then experimenting for yourself based upon what you find.
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • heiney9
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I agree Greg about the Valvo vs Tele I like them both with the edge to the Valvo's especially the 6201's. But the ECC83=ECC803 and ECC81=ECC801, I'm sure you meant ECC81 not ECC83.

I have also found signal tubes in general can change the characteristics more than power tubes.

H9
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I agree Greg about the Valvo vs Tele I like them both with the edge to the Valvo's especially the 6201's. But the ECC83=ECC803 and ECC81=ECC801, I'm sure you meant ECC81 not ECC83.

I have also found signal tubes in general can change the characteristics more than power tubes.

H9

Thank you! I had time to edit my mistake. Yes, ECC81/12AT7/ECC801

And I understand the OP's amp signal tubes are 12AU7, but the idea in my mind is those little signal tubes may make more of a difference than the power tubes. I felt the OP might have thought the power tubes to be the more dominant factor and wanted to share I've found the opposite in my specific amp.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The KT88 sound is defenitely different from the EL34 with increased extension at the highs and better control of the bass. The mids are not as sweet, but the music just sounds more natural, more correct if that is a possible term in this case.

Doctor R, I've noticed the same difference in sound between EL34 and KT88 based amps. I agree that KT88 amps may be more neutral but may not be as pleasant to listen to for extended periods. You may want to hold on the Shanlings until you have a chance to really audition the VAC. The last thing you want to do is sell it and then kick yourself later.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You are probably hearing the difference in the output transformers, moreso than a difference between EL34 and KT88. With 100 watts, they are still running as beam-power tetrodes. Is there a switch on that amp for 'ultralinear / triode'? (ties the screen grid to the anode for a more lush, rich sound, but lower power)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Some of the later VAC amps had the Triode/Ultralinear switch. It was and is an option to have them converted to triode. It is nice to have the manafactuer about four hours from my house and that they are willing to work on these and continue to upgrade them. The transfomers are amazing. The amp weighed 69 lbs shipped and after lifting the amp I believe that 60 lbs are in the transfomers. So far listening this evening has been ....... amazing. The top to bottom detail, presence, and smoothness has well surpassed the Shanlings. A different presentation for sure, but it just seems to present the music better. My wife even noticed, sat down to listen for over an hour, and went to get her own CDs(could I actually have done something right?).
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Atta boy.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Inspired
    I appresciate the sharing, and I agree about the signal tubes. I have quite a collection of the ones from the Shanlings as I tried many different variations and combinations over the past four years. I am sure that I will eventually start to wonder "what would a quad of ........ sound like" and then off we go, but for a while I really like the way it sounds today.
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Some of the later VAC amps had the Triode/Ultralinear switch. It was and is an option to have them converted to triode. It is nice to have the manafactuer about four hours from my house and that they are willing to work on these and continue to upgrade them. The transfomers are amazing. The amp weighed 69 lbs shipped and after lifting the amp I believe that 60 lbs are in the transfomers. So far listening this evening has been ....... amazing. The top to bottom detail, presence, and smoothness has well surpassed the Shanlings. A different presentation for sure, but it just seems to present the music better. My wife even noticed, sat down to listen for over an hour, and went to get her own CDs(could I actually have done something right?).

Now your talkin', get the wife involved. When she runs for her cd's, your good as gold my friend. Congrats on the amp, and a nice choice I might add.
    I see a nice bottle of wine and sex in your future. Hopefully you won't be alone.:tongue: Who says audio gear is for geeks ? Happy listening.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • inspiredsports
    edited March 2011
    Options

Sounds like you did it just right!

I'm really interested in this thread as your amp is on my list of those I would love to own as I continue my journey further down the tube rabbit hole :biggrin:

My VTL ST50 drives my SDA SRS II's nicely, but I'll bet 100 tube watts a side would be even more authoritative at higher listening levels.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • doctor r
    edited March 2011
    Options
    PA100/100 in its new home.
    Attachment not found.
    The sound of this amp is amazing. Micro details and masive soundstage simultaniously. Little sleep and a large smile is what this weekend has brought.
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2011
    Options
    She's a beauty!! Congrats.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55