SARAS speakers

Options
Oldfatdogs
Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
edited January 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Has anyone heard these speakers? I did a google search,and came up with linn saras.Named after the makers daughter.They are in my area at a good price but I have never heard them myself.From what I have read Linn makes good speakers,would they be comparable to vintage polks?
Post edited by Oldfatdogs on

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2011
    Options
    SARA. Small acoustic reproduction aparatice... No joke. Heard of them and the company, but haven't had the privilege of a listen.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No, they would not be comparable to vintage Polks. Linn does make some good speakers. I personally do not like the sound signature produced on the set I heard but I can't speak for the entire lineup. I suggest listening to them before purchasing. That goes with any speaker, of course.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. I always listen to what I'm going to buy,some deals you chase down fast and hope its worth the effort others you research before you waste time and gas . Thanks Dan
  • h1nkfus
    h1nkfus Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I own a pair of Saras Speakers and have had them for 28 years, and when they were matched with the SAE Separates I originally
    purchased them with they were spectacular.
    I now own a Yamaha receiver and I can't tell whether it is the speakers or the sound reproduction of the receiver that has changed my love for the speakers.

George
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2011
    Options
    My $ on the speakers. Try different electronics.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • dockiri
    dockiri Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options
    :biggrin:Yes. Saras speakers were made until the mid 1980's. Mr Saras, I never knew his first name made all of his speakers by hand. I have two pairs of his tower speakers and one pair of his book shelf speakers, the book shelf speakers I would like to sell. He was I believe German, lived in Southern California. He and his wife ran the company. I met him once. He made his speakers with the world of Classical Music in mind. Indeed, they make well recorded Classical Music recordings sing. I was an audio engineer and I specialized in recording Classical Music. I first heard the speakers at a store in Beverly Hills in the early 1980's at a store called the Sound Center. As of a few years ago, it was still at the corner of Beverly Blvd and Civic Center Drive that runs parallel to Santa Monica Blvd. My brother also bought a pair of towers soon after me. He also listens almost exclusively to Classical Music. The one irritation with the speakers has been with the tweeter element. I does tend to blow if too much volume is sent to the speakers. A protection circuit was devised by a friend of mine but is was only moderately successful
    Mr Saras died in the 1980's and when he did, he took his secrets with him. He had developed his own coil winders that were
    unique. Know one figured then out. His wife sort of gave up on the business in the 1990's and his son wanted to play professional soccer. One possible source for more info is a business in Hollywood called Solutions, a speaker repair place. Stephan, the owner, brilliant mind who will talk you to death, could give more answers.
  • dockiri
    dockiri Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Me too, I bought mine in 1984. Chances are the Yamaha has. Saras speakers were made until the mid 1980's. Mr Saras, I never knew his first name made all of his speakers by hand. I have two pairs of his tower speakers and one pair of his book shelf speakers, the book shelf speakers I would like to sell. He was I believe German, lived in Southern California. He and his wife ran the company. I met him once. He made his speakers with the world of Classical Music in mind. Indeed, they make well recorded Classical Music recordings sing. I was an audio engineer and I specialized in recording Classical Music. I first heard the speakers at a store in Beverly Hills in the early 1980's at a store called the Sound Center. As of a few years ago, it was still at the corner of Beverly Blvd and Civic Center Drive that runs parallel to Santa Monica Blvd. My brother also bought a pair of towers soon after me. He also listens almost exclusively to Classical Music. The one irritation with the speakers has been with the tweeter element. I does tend to blow if too much volume is sent to the speakers. A protection circuit was devised by a friend of mine but is was only moderately successful
    Mr Saras died in the 1980's and when he did, he took his secrets with him. He had developed his own coil winders that were
    unique. Know one figured then out. His wife sort of gave up on the business in the 1990's and his son wanted to play professional soccer. One possible source for more info is a business in Hollywood called Solutions, a speaker repair place. Stephan, the owner, brilliant mind who will talk you to death, could give more answers. One other comment. Remember to, our hearing changes. 28 years with the speakers, you maybe were over 21 when you bought the speakers, age my friend, catches all of us who live long enough to experience it.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I get the sense that we're not all talking about the same speakers.

Linn SARA vs. SARAS speakers.
  • RandyGBlues
    RandyGBlues Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I had a pair Of his ST200 towers (like these: https://www.audioasylumtrader.com/images/y2017/10/179378/IMG_35095B15D.JPG). I bought them new Along with a Luxman system in the 80's from a high end stereo store on Ventura Blvd in the San Fernando Valley. Saras speakers were made by Rudy Stoklos (immigrant audio engineer and father of Randy Stoklos, the famous pro volleyball player). They never failed to impress anyone who came over including some musician friends. Rudy was a special guy. If you blew out a speaker (I never did) you would send it back to him and he rebuilt the speaker. I had the original brochure for them as well. I believe that the serial numbers were in the 100's, but not sure as I had them a log time! I am sad to say I lost all, including the speakers, in the "Camp Fire" in Northern California in November of 2019. Their sound was very neutral and reproduced anything I threw at them with fantastic clarity. They were designed with an angled front of the cabinet so that all the drivers were the same distance from the listener. I will miss them until my last day.
  • tgreenbusch
    Options
    I have st-200 serial numbers 246, 247 and I’m in Illinois
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Oh wow, you get a gold star. Well, it's not really gold...more like mustard, but not French's, that's too yellow. No, it looks more like Gulden's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk