RTi70 or RT800i

Options
thehalo8
thehalo8 Posts: 127
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I am finally looking to finish off my home theatre speaker set up. I already have the CSi40 for my center, FXi30's for my rears, and the PSW350 for my sub. I am now looking to replace my old Sony mains. I was looking to get the RTi70's to finish off my set up, but one of my co-workers said he is looking to upgrade and will sell me his RT800i's.

I spent the weekend thinking about it, and I was worried about mixing the silk/polymer of my other Polk speakers with the Tri-laminate of the 800's. I know I can get the 800's cheaper than the 70's and help out my friend. But I am worried about the sound difference from different tweeters and that the 5-year warranty does not transfer over to new owners. I am currently at the decision to get the 70's over the 800's but I was looking for some comments from this very knowledgeable forum. Thanks in advance….

Mike
Mains: Polk RTi70's
Center: Polk CSi40
Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
Sub: Polk PSW505
Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
DVD: Sony DVP S5300
Protection: Monster HTS 3600
Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
Post edited by thehalo8 on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Music......help a brotha out

Home Theater.....go for the 70's

IMHO
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Go for those RTi70's - I promise you that you won't regret it - awesome midrange and with a decent sub, well, there you have it.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • thehalo8
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I use my set up for movies and tv, not to much for music.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I wrote a review on the 70's, its in the Speaker section, on down. Its rather long, but may help you choose. Good luck, and have fun! :cool:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11618
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i70s...arent they basically the same speaker with different tweeters?
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have been comparing the RTxxxi Woofer with the RTixxx driver....

they are COMPLETELY different --

the curve different, the surrounds are different, the overall cone shape is different
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ok whatever, never owned either one lol
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    they sound vaguely similar, but not exact. The RTixxx I notice do need better wire and alot more ampage. The RTixxx line is highly ineffecient.....
  • Airplay355
    edited August 2003
    Options
    they both say rtixxx...which one is which?
  • thehalo8
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey Troy,

I definitely had already read your review; very in-depth. I was looking for some speaker enthusiast that owned the 800i and then upgraded to the i70. Plus if anyone had thoughts on having different tweeter materials in my setup.

I would like to mix in another amp later for my mains, but for now they will have to run off my Onkyo TX-DS696. It’s set to 8 ohms and pushes 100 watts to all my channels. I would like to get an amp later to push 200 watts to each of my mains; which looks to be the i70's at this moment.

Mike
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I had a room full of RT's (including the 800's) before upgrading to the Lsi series. The 800's are a great speaker and should be considered, especially if the price is right. Any chance you could get them into your home for a weekend of audtioning?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    Loud &amp; Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think most people suggest not mixing tweeters, particularly along the front soundstage. Personally, I'd opt for the RTi70's. Then there's your pal to consider, but if he's your pal he'll understand and want you to have what appears the more appropriate addition to your theater.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've A/B'd the 800s and the 70s head to head quite a bit. I much prefer the 70s in all respects. The main difference is a much brighter, more open sound, but they also have more low end extention and a punchier midrange. I think they're a fabulous speaker (and rightfully so, I own a pair).
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I am trying to get rid of the Sibilance in mine. I am blaming it on my wire and cables. I know my speakers are capable of much much better sound than I am aquiring......It's a hunt now......
  • Airplay355
    edited August 2003
    Options
    arent u running them with HD wire?....or is it ratshack?
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    HD - I am upgrading to IXOS soon....REAL soon, it is NEXT on my list.....
  • thehalo8
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well thanks for all the feedback guys.

I drove over to CC last night on the way home to take another listen to the RTi70's. To my surprise, when I got there I found out they are on sale this week for $299. As I looked closer at the sales tag, I noticed that CC is also offering 12 months no interest on them too. Hot damn, I went home and talked it over with the wife. An hour later I had some new mains sitting in my living room. I can't wait till this weekend to bust out my Sound & Vision tune-up dvd and sound level meter to get them set up perfectly.

Now my set up should be complete for a year or two. It feels good to finally have it all finished :) Well I still have some tweaking to do. I don¡¦t have enough speaker wire to bi-wire them. All my speakers are currently running with Monster XP 16 gauge wire. I think I will pick some up this weekend, my center channel also is not bi-wired yet ƒ¼ I would like to thank you all again for your help and support.
  • thehalo8
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey, does anyone know how cheap the CC employees get their stuff for? I saw on their web site it mentions employees get everything at the cost CC gets it for. Is this true? If so that seems like big savings!!!
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yes, this is true, and *big* hardly describes it! :D

Congrats on your new speakers! That's a fine pair; I own them - I love them!
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You'd be better off buying RTi70s 'cause you've got the CSi40 to timbre match the same tweeters.
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    Hey, does anyone know how cheap the CC employees get their stuff for? I saw on their web site it mentions employees get everything at the cost CC gets it for. Is this true? If so that seems like big savings!!!

CC employees (after 90 days of employment) get 60% off...
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Check the circuit now they are running a great sale on the Rti series currently. Check the link in my other post.
    U won't regret buying Rti70. I luv them.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Get the 70s dude! Everyone knows that they're the best speakers ever made by anybody!
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Settle down there, they are good but they aren't the best ever made by anybody.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fgr41
    Settle down there, they are good but they aren't the best ever made by anybody.

I think he was being sarcastic...lol

I think the RTi70 is the only bang for the buck tower Polk has...

depends on what you can spend, or more the less waste

The RTi150 is a nice speaker, but it needs one heck of an amp, the RTi100 is for the man that cant have a sub, the RTi70 is the man that wants the best mids and has room for a good sub!

It all boils down to preference, the 800i has a more tang sound to the tweeter (if it's tri lam is like the RT35i tri lam), while the silk is MUCH smoother. All depends on your preferences! Either one you won't be dissapointed I would imagine, but if you are getting the i40 (which I am envious of) I would get the i70!