ben, Face, Vr3m, I've got a few questions for you guys.

JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
edited March 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Now that ClarityCap has their new ESA line available, I'm redoing the xovers in my HT rig. I wanted to present my plan and see what you guys thought before I buy anything.

For capacitors: I'm going to use the new ClarityCap ESA 250V line in the tweeter circuits. What should I be using in the LF circuits? I'm assuming the ESA's high quality isn't exactly necessary for woofers, but you know what they say about the word assume. If they won't be as beneficial in the woofer circuits, what should I be ordering instead?

What should I be using on the 260 and 500uf? I know some people say leave the 500 alone, but I figured I'd at least toss the idea of replacing it around since I'm about to redo my xovers. I'm not an electrical engineer, but from what I've read, the purpose of it is to act as a high-pass filter. These are some of the options I found:

Parts Express 500uf cap
JJ Electrolytic Capacitor

For resistors, I was thinking of using Duelund in the HF circuits. My only concern is that many of their resistors are only 5w, and I've heard a lot of mention the 5w resistor being a weak point in the LSi crossovers. Should I be looking elsewhere something with a higher capacity?

What should I be looking for in the way of resistors for the LF circuits? For reference sake, the LSi25 uses two 2.0Ω 10w resistors and one 0.5Ω 25w resistor in the LF circuit; the C has one 1.0Ω 5w resistor, and the FX doesn't use any resistors in the LF circuit.

I'm leaving the inductors alone for now.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, questions?
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2011
    I have had good luck with the following combo --

ESA on the tweeter, SA on the woofers - and those large values multiple PX series bundled together (for the 260)

Im not sure about the 500 - if it has been told before to leave it, leave it -- you want to bundle equal value caps together... I guess you could strap 5 - 100 uf caps together. That would be like a freakin grenade nap sack! haha

And I honestly dont even know if that is possible to do lol - I have done three at most.

I used Duelund in my Super Towers and honestly preferred the cheap Madisound Eagle brand which they are clearancing - the Duelund was cleaner and more sterile - but the Eagle was magical sounding, huge staging.

I would replace the 10w resistors with 20 watt resistors like the Mundorf Supremes, the 5watts with 10 watts
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2011
    So I am guessing that you are doing the LSI25's? For the 260uf I use 3 Dayton's at 90uf. This is 270uf, but well within spec of the 20% caps. The 5 watt resitor is the only one I have ever seen burnt. Also the Mill's will fit in there better than most high wattage resistors.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited March 2011
    The Mundorf MOX resistors are also great and I prefer them a little over the Mills.

I upgraded a pair of Panisonic electrolytic caps on one of my amps to a pair of Bennic electrolytic caps with a good aural improvement. They are a great option for higher value caps, but also a decent price.

M500.jpg
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    Can someone shoot a copy of the LSi9 schematic to JimAckley@ymail.com?

I might just buy a pair of those to upgrade instead of spending my time and $ on the 25s right now.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2011
    The 25 would be easier to mod than the 9's. It has a bigger board. Also parts wise it is close to the same. Is this going to be for HT or 2 channel? There is no 260uf in the 25's.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    I'll email mundorf to see about the availability and cost of the correct values for my gear
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    I'll email mundorf to see about the availability and cost of the correct values for my gear

Yeah... Mundorf's website has a popup boasting about their new 2008 catalog. Either I went to the wrong site, or they stopped caring about customer service and e-commerce.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -