speaker recommendation

drbyers
drbyers Posts: 3
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a new Honda CR-V (I've yet to pick it up) and have been told that the OEM speakers really suck.

Can anyone recommend a speaker set-up? I've since learned that the CR-V also has shallow speaker mounting areas.

I'm not really into ear-bleeding bass. I'd really rather hear both highs and lows, if that helps any.

thanks ahead of time.
Post edited by drbyers on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    well the db 'juniors' are supposed to be a pretty shallow mount speaker... the ex3's (exiii) which were just discontinued and replaced byt he new db are also a pretty shallow mount but since they were disc. they are much cheaper (like 60% off) at your local retailers...

for good sound you're not going to need anything better than than that -- unless you want to shake the earth, and you've stated you don't.

so i'd go with either 4 EXIII or DB series coaxials or EXIII/DB components up front and a pair of the same series coaxials in back... off of a 5 channel amp -- use the sub out to push like a 200 or 300 watt sub.

kenwood makes a nice 5 channel does like 65 x 4 + 250 x 1 or something...

you can run something like one of the new 'mini'-momo 10's or 12's off of that sub out... or an alpine type S... or a JBL GT100... or something like that... it'll hit pretty good, give you a good overall even spectrum with nice sound.

that's simple, loud enough to keep everybody happy, good sounding, and cheap enough to do on a budget... but that's just my two cents on an easy to do system that's just basically a "factory upgrade". :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • drbyers
    edited August 2003
    that's the exact kind of answer i was lookin' for. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    ... as he's running for governor of California no less --- "you can do combinations like, 'no problemo, dickwad'. "

:) glad to help. hit up circuit city or crutchfield for the exiii's on sale -- crutchfield.com oughta be the cheapest prices though anyway - even if u go w/ the new stuff, they're affordable, they're nice to deal with, and tech support is actually GOOD with them in compairson to somwehere like Shitdomain (sounddomain.com).
  • drbyers
    edited August 2003
    i actually did a search and came across sounddomain.com. It ought to be called pullyourhairoutdomain.com because it was a nightmare to navigate.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    sounddomain is hard to navigate when u first start lookin at teh site, but once you've been using it for a while its actually simple as hell and i love how it has the little like pick subs and then pickthe companies u want to look at ... i dunno - it should be designed better, but for the **** low prices they charge their webmaster is prolly a 15 year old kid working out of a cardboard box in some dark alley for 3 cents an hour. their customer service and willingness to help you is equally as bad -- but everything has factory warranty and as long as you know exactly what you want, you get it dirt cheap.