This is what I got

2»

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2011
    OOHHH, it's comin it's comin it's comin...

Finally, going to have some decent tunes again...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2011
    Jstas wrote: »

Another thing I'm told is that they can piggy back additional programming. Like the NPR HD broadcast has a companion analog Spanish broadcast piggy-backed on the alternate channels. Kinda like NJN and WHYY do with their digital signals. So some stations have 2-4 total channels of broadcasting on a single band. I haven't messed around with it though so I have no idea if anyone in the area is set up like that so it may or may not be true for us.

Its set up like that down here. Theres a pop station, 95.1, that also broadcasts a rock station, 95.1-2

HD's pretty nice. There really is a difference. I listen primarily to XM, so I dont have the need/want to spend money on the separate tuner, but I'd imagine in another 4-5 years it'll come with all radios.

In fact, amazon has the pioneer 5200 on sale for $100. Comes with built in HD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-P5200HD-Receiver-Direct-Control/dp/tech-data/B0039YXNVC/ref=de_a_smtd?tag=dealswoot-20

Too bad its ugly as sin.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited March 2011
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Its set up like that down here. Theres a pop station, 95.1, that also broadcasts a rock station, 95.1-2

HD's pretty nice. There really is a difference. I listen primarily to XM, so I dont have the need/want to spend money on the separate tuner, but I'd imagine in another 4-5 years it'll come with all radios.

In fact, amazon has the pioneer 5200 on sale for $100. Comes with built in HD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-P5200HD-Receiver-Direct-Control/dp/tech-data/B0039YXNVC/ref=de_a_smtd?tag=dealswoot-20

Too bad its ugly as sin.
    -Cody

Eh, it's not THAT bad. All the new Kenwoods look similar.

Then again, I'm stuck in the 90's 'cause I think the best looking head units of all time were the Kenwood MASK units.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited March 2011
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Too bad its ugly as sin.
    -Cody

There's worse out there... :biggrin:

543imgoy7.jpg
    1980-RS-1640TS.jpg
    2690.jpg
    CDR37FD.jpg
    CDR89DFX.jpg
    4018PXL.jpg
    CDR35FD.jpg
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited March 2011
    Actually that "Roadstar" looks pretty good to me LOL. Best double din tape player i've seen lol
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • amulford
    edited March 2011
    I listen primarily to XM, so I dont have the need/want to spend money on the separate tuner, but I'd imagine in another 4-5 years it'll come with all radios.

I used to have Sirius in the truck and XM at the house and by the pool. I got pissed when after they merged the greedy rat bastad's kept charging me for two seperate accounts. I said eff it, let them both go, and swore I wouldn't go back. But I still tuners for both...

I mostly listen to college stations and NPR type stations now, because I can't stand the screaming friggen ad's. I was hoping HD would be a little better.

I don't know if anybody has checked out Pandora, but that shiznit is pretty friggin cool...

Man that Pyramid crap looks like something that oughta have a Fisher-Price logo on it...

EDIT:
    I was just checking, and I'm in the Philadelphia Market area. There are 26 stations broadcasting 44 HD channels here. Alot of them are stations I already listen to, so that's pretty cool for me.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2011
    I listen to Pandora when I get up and get ready in the mornings and continue all day at work...I love it.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited March 2011
    WE all know about Sirius/XM
    Now we know about HD.
    What's Pandora? :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited March 2011
    Another one of those internet-based radio services. One of my coworkers used to stream it through a Roku into our PA/DJ system. I never really looked into it much, but from what I could tell, you could more or less create your own radio station, so to speak.

http://www.pandora.com/
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • exalted512
    edited March 2011
    The interface for pandora on my radio isnt great. It doesnt display track information or anything like that. But it does do it wireless through bluetooth, so thats nice!
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited March 2011
    Can't check Pandora's web site (at work) - it is free? or monthly payment required?
    Also - If free it seems to be just like ANY other internet radio, just a lot more known since it's Apple related, right??
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited March 2011
    There's a free and paid version. Free one has commercials.

Not sure how other internet radios work, but this one:
    you list artists & songs you like, and it plays those genre's. You can also 'like' songs to play them more frequently, as well as 'dislike' songs and theyll stop playing them.

You can do a mix where it plays all the artists/songs you have listed (you can even check just the ones you want to listen to), or you can just select one song or artist and it'll play just that genre.

My TV has a pandora app, so I listen when I get up. Usually XM on the way to work if I'm in the truck...or the exhaust if im on the bike. When I get to work, I have it playing on the computer all day. I'd go to sleep with it playing on my phone if the wife didnt have the TV on.

I dont think they have any affiliation with apple? Maybe, I dunno. It just started out as a phone app as far as i know.
    -Cody
  • amulford
    edited March 2011
    I can get it on my android. I just hope I can USB that and I don't HAVE to use an Iphone. I have bluetooth , too, but I'm hoping to be able to charge while I'm listening.

I got everything in. It looks SO purty, all them new boxes and shtuff...