Front Height/Wide speakers

Options
JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
Does anybody use them in their setup? I've never seen/heard any before, but was a little curious about them.
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited March 2011
    Options
    use what?
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Subject line... front height or front wide speakers.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't know what that means, but maybe that's because I am old.
    My speakers are both high and wide, though.

604EalaBillfort.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2011
    Options
    http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

He is talking about the LH/RH and the LW/RW
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited March 2011
    Options
    oh, I see. I'm sorry.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This topic comes up at least once a week, and almost every time there's confusion. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    This topic comes up at least once a week, and almost every time there's confusion. :D

Isn't it great?

I remembered reading something about them when the first HTRs came out with them, but have never heard anyone's firsthand experience with them.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited March 2011
    Options
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Isn't it great?

I remembered reading something about them when the first HTRs came out with them, but have never heard anyone's firsthand experience with them.

I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot. I am using a Denon avr running 7.1 channels with two "front height" speakers. These are speakers, I use bookshelfs, placed above the front main speakers close to the ceiling. When used they create a bigger vertical soundstage. I'm not sure how the receiver converts the 5.1 to 7.1 but where it really is most effective is where there are movie scenes with rain, wind, etc., or any "atmospheric" audio. The two extra channels kind of "paint in" the holes in the vertical soundstage and the movie watching experience is much more submersive. It's kind of hard to describe, it just sounds more lush and full. I no longer watch movies in native 5.1. It's that good. Some avrs have the option of adding front width channels which widen the soundstage left to right.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot. I am using a Denon avr running 7.1 channels with two "front height" speakers. These are speakers, I use bookshelfs, placed above the front main speakers close to the ceiling. When used they create a bigger vertical soundstage. I'm not sure how the receiver converts the 5.1 to 7.1 but where it really is most effective is where there are movie scenes with rain, wind, etc., or any "atmospheric" audio. The two extra channels kind of "paint in" the holes in the vertical soundstage and the movie watching experience is much more submersive. It's kind of hard to describe, it just sounds more lush and full. I no longer watch movies in native 5.1. It's that good. Some avrs have the option of adding front width channels which widen the soundstage left to right.

Wow it's cool to finally get someone's testemonial about it. I don't have the room for a "wide" setup, but I thought it would be cool to install a set of ceiling speakers or something and run them on the front height channel. That's gotta be pretty sweet to have your front stage setup like that.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have messed with the "Width" channels, but not height. They did help broaden the sound stage, but I always had the feeling they were trying to cancel out my surrounds (di-poles). I didn't have them hooked up for too long.

Over the weekend I took the bookshelf speakers I used for "width" and put them as my back surrounds. The only movie I currently have that is 7.1 is "Shrek Forever After" and to quote another member here "it has a crazy 7.1 mix". I was quite surprised at how much the back surrounds added.

There are several options to matrix 5.1 into a 7.1 with my AVR. Dolby EX, THX Select 2 Cinema, etc. I've played scenes from a number of different movies and with the sound stage the Monitor 70's create on their own, paired with the di-pole surrounds and the surround back speakers created a very encompassing sound stage.

Very interesting to close your eyes, turn up the volume and just listen. Now all I have to do is convert one of the rooms in the basement to a dedicated theater. :)

For width or height you don't need much in the way of speakers at all. If your AVR supports it and you have a couple of extra speakers, hook them up and see what you think. You have nothing to lose.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I run a 9.1 setup with DSX Height channels, and I love the way it sounds. I was pretty happy with 7.1 and didn't think the heights would add much... but man, do they fill in the sound! Over the weekend, I threw in We Were Soldiers... and the helicopter sounds in that movie were so eerily realistic and well-placed in 3-D space that it put a big grin on my face.

I actually had my heights mounted with the keyhole brackets, which sounded okay, but over the weekend, I mounted them on B-tech brackets and aimed them down at the listening area like they're supposed to be. BIG difference. And for the record, I'm running dipole side surrounds and direct-radiating speakers for height and rear surround, and it sounds amazing.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • tommasini
    tommasini Posts: 7
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm trying to decide to go rear surround versus front and wide. My ceilings are really high 16' max so I was wondering if I should go front wide on the wall instead of 14' for the rear surround in the ceiling.
  • JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Get your rears first. IMO, I'd go with something lower if you have the option, but in-ceiling speakers aren't a bad way to go. What gear do you have as of right now?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• carwashguy
    carwashguy Posts: 131
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Am going to undertake this soon. Was planning on putting the speakers about five feet higher and about three feet to the side of my mains. I have a pair of LSi7's and a pair of LSiFX's I can interchange for this undertaking. The FX's are currently my surrounds. Would I be better served putting the FX's up front and high, and using the 7's as the rear surrounds? Kind of a pain to put up, would like to get it right the first time.
    Living Room
    LSi 15
    LSi7
    LSiC
    LSiFX
    2 EPIK Empire
    2 W4S Sx-1000
    Monster HTPS 7000 MKII
    Parasound 5250
    Onkyo PR-SC5508
    Oppo BDP-95
    Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    LG 55 LED

Bedroom
    RTi A7
    CSi A6
    FXi A6
    2 PSW 125
    Onkyo TX-NR1008
    Panasonic 60 Plasma
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I've done it with two Surround Bar 50's and thought it sounded pretty good. The front stage is very movie theatre like, which is probably a given since you're adding speakers. I wouldn't do it again nor spend the money to put a bunch of loudspeakers on my front wall.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2011
    Options
    carwashguy wrote: »
    Am going to undertake this soon. Was planning on putting the speakers about five feet higher and about three feet to the side of my mains. I have a pair of LSi7's and a pair of LSiFX's I can interchange for this undertaking. The FX's are currently my surrounds. Would I be better served putting the FX's up front and high, and using the 7's as the rear surrounds? Kind of a pain to put up, would like to get it right the first time.

Height channels should be direct radiators, not dipoles, per Audyssey. Keep the FX's in side/rear surround duty.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • carwashguy
    carwashguy Posts: 131
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Height channels should be direct radiators, not dipoles, per Audyssey. Keep the FX's in side/rear surround duty.

Good info, thank you.
    Living Room
    LSi 15
    LSi7
    LSiC
    LSiFX
    2 EPIK Empire
    2 W4S Sx-1000
    Monster HTPS 7000 MKII
    Parasound 5250
    Onkyo PR-SC5508
    Oppo BDP-95