MM465 xover power handling

Mark D
Mark D Posts: 2
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Here's the story,

I'm thinking of buying another set of MM465's to run a set up similar to that in the JL golf. I have 300Wrms per side to run my components, would I be able to get away with just using one set of the crossovers to run both pairs of speakers. Could they handle 300Wrms ok?

Thanks.

Mark D
Post edited by Mark D on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    you cannot run 2 pair of speakers off 1 pair of crossovers.

the problem is that the crossovers are nothing more than capacitors and inductor coils... and the values of inductance and capacitance are chosen based on the resistance(impedance) of the speakers being used.

now one speaker is 4 ohms... so they choose the right parts to put in the crossover for a 4 ohm speaker.

but two speakers is 2 ohms (4 + 4 in parallel = 2 ohms) which means you'd need a whole new set of parts inside of that crossover to make it work on a 2 ohm load.

use both crossover networks -- OR you can go to a good electronics website like www.digikey.com / www.jameco.com / or www.arrow.com and look up the roughly 50 bucks in parts you'll need to put together your own mini circuit board of crossovers that'll work on 2 ohms, then pull the crossover out of hte momo casing and put your home-made one in.

itll work -- it'll be a pain in the ****... and you'll hate doing it -- but it'll be cool :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    and sorry i forgot to answer the power question --- as far as 300 w rms.

i would say that one pair of momo crossovers could probably hold up to 300 w rms... maybe... i have a set of polk DX series compnents which are supposed to be a "lesser model" to the momo component sets, and i dump about 200 - 220 watts through my crossovers rms. its way beyond the reccomended rms, but i care not.

so i THINK, but i dont know whehter or not you can do that. you're best bet would be to open up the casing and look at the voltage rating on the internal parts. then do your homework and figure out what voltage or current ratings would be necessary to allow for 300 watts rms.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Mark D
    Mark D Posts: 2
    edited August 2003
    Thanks, I cant believe I over looked the impedance factor ....D'OH.

I'll have a look inside the crossover and see if they can take the voltage and maybe just run a single set at 300w per side.

Cheers