LS50/70 vs RT16

Options
Fastmerc
Fastmerc Posts: 99
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Just wondering the forums thoughts on how the two series compare to each other...it seems they both have the tri lam and approx same size woofers...eclosures and xovers would seem to be the major difference.

Thoughts/Opinions?
Mains: RT20Ps
Center: CS350LS
R. Surround: RT16s
R. Center: CS350LS
F. Effects: LS/FX
Sub: Titanic 15
Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
TV: 55 LED LCD
Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
Speaker Cable:MC
Post edited by Fastmerc on

Comments

• Fastmerc
    edited August 2003
    Options
    no takers?
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I haven't ever heard the LS' but the 16's are EXCELLENT speakers. You virtually don't even need a sub because of how well they do bass and punch hard......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I haven't heard the 16's, but used to own the 70's. In looking at the specs, it appears the 16 has more deep end than the 70's and definitely the 50's. The 50's were really lacking on the low end. The 70's played as loud as I could ever want though.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well the specs are LS-70 25Hz-26KHz using 2 x 7 1/2" drivers and LS-50 30Hz-26KHz using 2 6 1/2" drivers.
    The LS-50's aren't that bass shy given proper amplification. They can handle 250wpc and are often underamplified, no doubt. Big difference in mine when using a 100wpc receiver vs 200wpc separate amps....HUGE difference, in fact.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Fastmerc
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input all.
    :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Actually, I doubt there are many people with enough experience with both speakers to really give a comprehensive review, unfortunately.

Personally, I'd love to bag a pair of LS-70's OR LS-90's. I'd say RT16's but some **** keeps bagging every pair that comes up. ;)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fastmerc
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    I might just have a pair of LS70s for ya...I am working two deals right now on a pair of those and a pair of RT16s...I figured I would have to make my own mind up...So basically whichever matches the rest of my system best...the other pair will go. Will probably still be a few weeks before both deals even come together though.