Bi-Amping

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,067
You know what. I look at my speakers, and the cost of wire and can't help to think to myself, bi-wiring is hog wash! Now, I can actually see *how* bi-amping *could* help my speakers. I am honestly looking into it. After I get my SVS, I may just *not* get a center channel and repair my RT35i get some shelves built and buy another Adcom 545 amp. Because, right when it boils down to cost a seperate amp cost as much as Bi-Wire cables.

So for you guys out there that have tried bi-wire and bi-amping; what are your thoughts and opinions? Will be interesting to read what you say. Please do not make this a flame war, this thread right here will mark my future decisions. Thank You.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Bi-amping is definately worth it, especially for bass heads like yourself that take the system to the limits. Pictures say alot. http://www.t-linespeakers.org/oddsends/biamp/Index.html
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Might just have to get into Bi-amping. It looks promising in my future. All depends on Christmas, Birthday, and Summer next year...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Mx,

In order to bi-amp you will have to have two pairs of wires run to your mains regardless, so bi-wiring is a good place to start. I know your budget is tight, so I would recommend Monster XP HP or Ixos speaker wire that you can get at about $0.60 / foot.

Bi-amping in my opinion would be overkill for your system in such a small room. Perhaps if you had a living room or a Home Theater room setup then it could make a difference.

In my opinion, work on getting yourself a sub and then that center channel and get another tweeter for the RT35i so you can use these for surrounds over getting another amp. This will yield a killer home theater setup for you.

I don't understand how you say that getting more speaker wire to bi-amp is just as expensive as another amp?:confused:

If you decide to bi-amp, then you can either vertical bi-amp or horizontal bi-amp. There was a thread way back that discussed these two situations. For bi-amping you should have two identical amplifiers although I have heard of people using solid state amps to run the lows in a horizontal configuration and a tube amp to run the highs for the smoother highs that some prefer.

Lots of choices here bud. I think you are fine with the amps you have though. One for the mains, one for the center, and one for the surrounds. Ron-P has a similar setup to you and I see that he has four adcom amps. Checked his showcase but he don't mention that he is bi-amping but I would imagine he is.

Just my opinion and what I would do..

Paul
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, I know you have to run 2 lines of wire to the speaker if you bi amp to. But I prefer to lay down the money on an amp so I can actually see it is doing something than lay down the same money on the wire and just know its there and no one else will really care...

Besides, I see no logical way that BiWiring could help a speaker, and in truth - I think its BS. I would have to try it though.

Ron has his biamped...

I am going to replace the tweeter in the RT35i and use them as surrounds. It is on my list.....

I plan to get the CSi40 as a center channel

and a SVS PCi 20-39 for the sub

--- Yeah having seperate amps in my room is overkill. Heck...having towers or even more than 2 speakers in my room is overkill. But I demand the best out of my system, and my other alternative over bi-amping is buying a GFA-555 and its to big....

In other words...the 545 can't really push my RTi70 to my listening levels (when I want to jam - not everyday listening levels). Biwiring wouldnt help me here unless they have wire with amps...lol

Well all the bi-wire premade wires I have seen cost like 100-150 up to 300. Thats the cheapest.

I plan to upgrade all my wires and cables also. I plan to get the IXOS and Radioshack Fusion.

I could do some ghetto biamping. One of my amps have A/B switching...

If I were to biamp really though...

I would run 60 watts to the top post, and 100 watts to the bottum post... just my 2 cents. I plan to biamp my center channel too..

Here is my Setup...or future...

Mains:
    RTi70 Bi-Amped with Adcom GFA-535 (Top Post), Adcom GFA 545 II (Bottum Post) - Ran with IXOS wire, Radioshack Fusion between amp and receiver

Center:
    CSi40 - Biamped with the Original GFA-535 (on the A/B Left side terminals) - Ran with IXOS wire, Radioshack Fusion between amp and receiver

Surrounds:
    RT35i - Adcom GFA 535II - Ran with IXOS wire and Radioshack Fusion between amp and receiver

Subwoofer: SVS PCi 20-39

All Cables will be Radioshack Fusion....and IXOS wire

I will try Bi-Wiring before I buy another amp to see if I hear the difference. If I don't...I will buy the amp. At first though, I am going to borrow my Dad's extra Adcom to see if I hear a difference. Heck...I could try it now If I wanted to. I just don't have the wire to justify it...

Keep the opinions coming....

Thank ya PJ
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Trey,
    Just a curiosity question for ya...I know you are fan of PE and Adcom Just wondering why you havent mated your Adcom amps to an Adcom pre...like the new 860...seems to be a reasonable priced pre with all the new goodies...Probably less expensive than the PE I would think.
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    the PE was 400 bucks...lol. I plan to get an Outlaw Preamp. I hear Adcom's pres are not all their cracked up to be -- thats later down the line though. I need new wire, and speaker before that.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sid

how much do Adcom 535's and 545's run? Just curious. Why those amps? Ever think about bumping up the amps to something bigger? I have a Adcom 5400 and it's nice and powerful. 125w ch high current.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Danger,
    The GFA 5400 is the same amp as the 545, just 25 more watts and 200 dollars more...lol!

The 535 runs for about 150-170, and the 545 runs for about 200-250. I would get the 555, but they run around 300-400. They're to big too...

I would only get the 535 or the 545 - because they mate with my other amps and I like the Adcom sound.