Fitness Software

Options
joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited February 2011 in The Clubhouse
Does anybody here use any kind of software to track their fitness? I've been researching on the net and find there's so many to choose from. Am trying a few trial versions to see what they're like, but if someone is using one that they feel does a great job, I'd like to know about it.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2011
    Options
    A bunch of decent ones for the iPhone, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think the best ones are available for a device you can take with you to the gym. If I do 20 sets in a workout, there is no way I am going to remember how many reps I did each set unless I record that at the gym. Also, if you are doing prescribed rest times, these applications also have a stop watch built in... I mean if you did 8 reps 225, then 6 reps 225 after a 2 minute rest, or 8 reps 225 after a 10 minute rest... they are different... but then again if your lifting tempo is changed, none of that matters... try lifting your usual weight at 3 sec up 3 sec down and you'll probably either be using 80% weight, or doing 60% reps... nothing is really gonna calculate that for you..

You can make something on excel. What, exactly, do you want this thing to do?
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Xplay ranked "The biggest loser" for the Kinect pretty highly. Haven't tried it since I don't have a 360. It sounds like it would be fun but it would cost $350 for someone without the hardware. Better to just get a gym membership.
  • joeparaski
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think the best ones are available for a device you can take with you to the gym. If I do 20 sets in a workout, there is no way I am going to remember how many reps I did each set unless I record that at the gym. Also, if you are doing prescribed rest times, these applications also have a stop watch built in... I mean if you did 8 reps 225, then 6 reps 225 after a 2 minute rest, or 8 reps 225 after a 10 minute rest... they are different... but then again if your lifting tempo is changed, none of that matters... try lifting your usual weight at 3 sec up 3 sec down and you'll probably either be using 80% weight, or doing 60% reps... nothing is really gonna calculate that for you..

You can make something on excel. What, exactly, do you want this thing to do?

I'm looking at something like this... http://www.vidaone.com/vodf_win.htm check out the screen-shots. This particular software is on my short list.

Basically I'm doing cross-fit with a private trainer twice a week and the rest of the week is a mix of p90x, yoga, and spinning on my bike (at home). I just want to start logging this stuff to see how I'm progressing with real numbers. I'm also going to modify the garage and turn half of it into a gym and get one of those multi-function machines.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited February 2011
    Options
    there are a lot of programs out there for logging activities. Many of them are real cheap, since basically it is just a glorified notepad.

That software you're looking at look pretty comprehensive.. it has a lot of things that I just don't know what they do :P Basically, the general idea of exercising is simply doing more (even slightly) than you did the week before... this requires a simple notepad

Do you want something to like estimate calories burned and stuff? I am wondering what are the most important features to you. I'm downloading vidaone right now... I can't really tell what's going on from the screenshots
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Alright, I downloaded VidaOne and synced it with my phone. It is extremely comprehensive. I do not know how accurate it is. For example, today I did a HIT workout Chest/Tris/Abs... It will allow me to enter strength training, time, difficulty, ect... it estimates that I burned 748 calories. It lets me log my workouts, but it is difficult to do... and cannot do any more than 5 sets unless you did the same weight over each set.

I did 7 sets of bench, starting at 195 6 reps very slow 3-4 sec down, 2-3 sec up. Of course, the goal here is burn out... so I started lowering the reps, then lower the weight, then added drop sets. there is no way to log this. NOt to mention that logging is painfully slow and there are only a handful of exercises to pick from, so count on adding a lot of custom ones.

It has a pretty comprehensive diet thing... tons of food to choose from, sizes/quantities, ect. It has a gps tracking thing that does your running... average sppeed and duration/ distance... nice layout, seems to work fine.

It has a lot of stuff ,certainly more than anything that I have used. Syncing with my laptop is done over wifi and is painless. If you want something that does everything, this certainly does. It isn't perfect, but it does do a lot of things... Idk if it's worth $50... I would recommend trying it for a week or two before buying it. At any rate, it's better than anything I've used (not that that says much, my experience has all been strictly iphone apps)... so that's probably all I can really say :P

edit: to get more than 5 sets, you can simply add the exercise again. I didn't think this was possible because when I did, it brought up my old info... maybe it simply remembers you last input... but it will let you put the same exercise as many times as you want. Still, there is nothing I can find that will let me indicate a drop set compound, or super...there is a notepad there though, you could type it in.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Fitness. What a horrible idea.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • joeparaski
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Alright, I downloaded VidaOne and synced it with my phone. It is extremely comprehensive. I do not know how accurate it is. For example, today I did a HIT workout Chest/Tris/Abs... It will allow me to enter strength training, time, difficulty, ect... it estimates that I burned 748 calories. It lets me log my workouts, but it is difficult to do... and cannot do any more than 5 sets unless you did the same weight over each set.

I did 7 sets of bench, starting at 195 6 reps very slow 3-4 sec down, 2-3 sec up. Of course, the goal here is burn out... so I started lowering the reps, then lower the weight, then added drop sets. there is no way to log this. NOt to mention that logging is painfully slow and there are only a handful of exercises to pick from, so count on adding a lot of custom ones.

It has a pretty comprehensive diet thing... tons of food to choose from, sizes/quantities, ect. It has a gps tracking thing that does your running... average sppeed and duration/ distance... nice layout, seems to work fine.

It has a lot of stuff ,certainly more than anything that I have used. Syncing with my laptop is done over wifi and is painless. If you want something that does everything, this certainly does. It isn't perfect, but it does do a lot of things... Idk if it's worth $50... I would recommend trying it for a week or two before buying it. At any rate, it's better than anything I've used (not that that says much, my experience has all been strictly iphone apps)... so that's probably all I can really say :P

edit: to get more than 5 sets, you can simply add the exercise again. I didn't think this was possible because when I did, it brought up my old info... maybe it simply remembers you last input... but it will let you put the same exercise as many times as you want. Still, there is nothing I can find that will let me indicate a drop set compound, or super...there is a notepad there though, you could type it in.

That's excellent, thank you for the mini-review, it is very helpful. I don't think the price is too bad for what it give. Of course I may be overdoing it, which is typical of me, but I'm sure I'll find some balance somewhere.

Thanks again.

Joe

Joe
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Dammit, I thought this was about software that replaced exercise.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My wife and I have used the free version of online software on www.livestrong.com and it helps you to keep track of fitness stuff and diet stuff as well. I like the create your loops feature which will help you plan out routes to bike or run in your area, save them and track when you run them and how long it takes. It is simple enough to figure out and then there is a more advanced pay version if you were to need more detail. It's free so check it out and I think there is an iPhone/iPod app that ties to it as well.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited February 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Dammit, I thought this was about software that replaced exercise.

like a virtual AbTronic ?! Imagine the results you could achieve :biggrin:
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't know the specifics, but my (barely overweight) sister (and her husband too) have both lost quite a bit of weight since Christmas using their newly acquired Wii and associated software. I guess that's too proprietary for a general answer, but I want to mention it has been quite successful (as well as entertaining) for them.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Tracking your fitness ?? Any 50 buck hooker can do that....AND it's fun to use.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joeparaski
    edited February 2011
    Options
    edbert wrote: »
    My wife and I have used the free version of online software on www.livestrong.com and it helps you to keep track of fitness stuff and diet stuff as well. I like the create your loops feature which will help you plan out routes to bike or run in your area, save them and track when you run them and how long it takes. It is simple enough to figure out and then there is a more advanced pay version if you were to need more detail. It's free so check it out and I think there is an iPhone/iPod app that ties to it as well.

Thanks for the link...checking it out now.

Joe