should have got an alarm...

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just a friendly update saying that if anyone on this site doesnt have an alarm protecting your audio equipment, now would be a good time. My car was recently broken into and roughly 3,000 bux worth of equipment was taken. Most of that was purchased at wholesale prices even! I live in a really good part of town and have an older can that doesnt have power anything, so i decided not to go through the hassle of installing an alarm, actuators, yada yada... And let me tell you, that was about the dumbest idea i have ever had, Especially since i only have liability and insurance wouldnt touch it! So if polk needs me to demo ANYTHING for them, i more than have the ability to do that now...
SNAPPYJB67@PRODIGY.NET
I went from an elite system, to not even having a tape player... this sucks!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    my alarm isnt the best alarm out there...i have power nothing also
    i went to a local shop with the tint/alarm special for $189
    the actuators were only $25 each
    $239 total
    the alarm is something like a barracuda or something
    but that little blinking light on the dash and the "protected by..." stickers do a lot
    what all did you have?
    did you have anything bolted down or stuff like that to protect your stuff a little more?
    im VERY sorry to hear about that...people suck
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    I went up to Seattle to Safeco Field a few months back for Wrestlemania...... laugh all you want... lol.

Anywho, I have and Acura Integra. I parked next to a Lexus, set my alarm went inside. 4 hours later I come out to a smashed driver window and nothing in my car. They smashed the window, popped the hood, removed the battery terminal(aparently my backup battery was dead in my alarm) and proceeded to take everything I had. Fun times. CD player, indash monitor, amp, ps2, 4 games 3 DVD's and a few other things. I know how you feel man...
    "The Big C"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2003
    They can try to take my stuff. It will take them A WHILE to get any of it out! The sub is bolted through the floor with lag bolts and the only way to get the nuts off is a star socket which is not easy to find. Also, all the other speakers are behind stock panels and they will have to break the head unit to get it out. So even if they get it, they won't be able to do anything with it.

Yes, an alarm would be a good thing. I have a passive alarm already but it doesn't protect much. Just means the truck can't be started without the key. Then again, there is not much to see inside. It looks like every other F-150 out there. Nothing special. But the box is screwed to a giant wood panel that mounts the amp and CD Changer too. They won't be able to get that out. I can't even get it out by myself! So they can try all they want. My installs are very hard to take apart. Makes it a **** to fix anything but I'd rather blow my time fixing some thing that broke rather than hunting down any fool who decides to mess with any of my gear. In my truck or my girlfriend's car.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    i'm kind of a **** ---- i paint / carpet my interior in the manner most not like any other trucks i've seen... yes, i'm mr. "wanna be different".

my component speakers are mounted flush in the door with everything showing - flush mount tweeter on top, xover bolted about 6 inches beneath it with the wires tucking tight under the X into the door panel, and the 6.5" polk mesh grille over the woofer as i cut a hole in teh stock panel to make room for it -- yes, i'm... uh... dumb.

metallic blue / powder blue trim dash, headunit is easily accessible but not much i can do about that... changer can be easily ripped off the passenger side back wall - sat radio easily ripped off driver side wall... the only thing secure is my subs -- they're jammed in such a manner that you'd need a couple of wrenches and a really strong guy to get the box out. subs are bottom mounted.... amps just kinda screw down w/ 4 "feet" screws... that's easy to pull off... so ya i can get f***** pretty bad.

nothin but a crimestopper 2003-FM between theives and my stuff.

i duno -- i'd have done a lotta things different w/ this truck given a second chance.... i would not have gone to excessive-- i would not have ripped out the back seat -- i'd have built a decent forward firing under seat box like cody has and gone w/ maybe a couple IDQ's or Momo 10 / 12 " ... sub amp, 125 x 2 for front, 40 x 2 rear, and called it a day.

there's days i so crave simplicity. there's days i want my back seat back. there's days i dont want three goddamn remote controls in the car. its friggin annoying. loud, clean, but bloody annoying and the more i think about it, the more SO NOT WORTH IT. there's something to be said for simplicity -- and now to go back would cost me like over 1,000 bucks in interior panels and a whole new floor board carpet and probably some other do-dads.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i try to keep everything in my truck as simple as possible
    the only thing that ive made a hole for is the tweeters...but those panels probably cost no more than $10 each...if that
    but i keep everything....stock radio and speakers....and when i get a new truck all my stuff is coming out...all the stock stuff is going in
    the only thing ill do is buy some cheap **** speaker wire from radio shack...cuz i dont keep that
    ill leave the alarm in...my next truck im putting in a lot better one...with a keyless start
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2003
    The best part is that if you do go the extra mile to install stuff properly (or with theives in mind) they'll just ruin more of the car. When our yellow Escape was broken into they barely made out with any usable product- a 1003 (which they cut or tore off the ai cable), broke the nav. and left it in the car, and the DVD changer which they pretty much destroyed judging from the damage done to the dash. The new dash alone was $1000, and lots of fun to install. If the dumbasses had spent a few minutes more they could have removed everything properly. It would have been better for us that way.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    yeah its almost a win-lose situation on somethings no matter what you do
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    people in general suck...

"Pay It Forward" is on TNT right now -- "cuz the world sucks"... good line, makes sense.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge