edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok, im finally fixing to get xm in the next couple of weeks
heres what i know i gotta do...
1. buy the tuner
2. buy the antenna
get my 8 digit radio id
go online and activate it
am i missing anything?
will all the wiring and stuff come with the tuner and antenna that i need or is there some extra stuff i have to buy?
thanks
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    if you buy a pioneer tuner and a pioneer antenna then you should be fine...

if you buy a pioneer tuner and a turk antenna or another generic brand antenna it may not "mate" properly to the tuner and you'd need a little do-dad thing-a-ma-bobber adaptor.

there was something that came with my kenwood tuner and antenna that was to let the kenwood antenna work with other brand tuners... i dunno.... but anywho - my point is that as long as they're designed to work with each other (same manufacturer) and you've got that cd/sat radio controller deck then you ought be good to go with just the antenna and tuner.

be wary of where you mount the tuner -- the antenna wire may not be long enough and its not hte kind of stuff that you can just like extend.... its dual coaxial cables and they're tiny as hell. so just like have somebody kinda hold your antenna sorta in place and you can like "test run" the wire to where u want to put the tuner and make sure it'll reach there.

also - the tuner i've got has a fan built in it... at low volumes you can almost hear it over the radio (like i mean whisper quiet volumes not normal stuff.... the "Vroom" of the motor just goin like 20 miles an hour drowns the fan noise out....) .... anywho - just like dont mount it in a manner that the fan is blocked off or anything -- i dont expect something that only draws like 1 amp of current to get hot, but if its got a fan its got one for a reason...

:)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    im not really sure where im going to put the tuner yet
    right now im looking at under the drivers seat, or behind the passenger seat where all the amps are
    but im getting the pioneer antenna and tuner so everything better work out...
    i sent everything in the mail(money orders) today for all my wiring and the xm radio stuff
    im going to order the knukonceptz stuff online in a couple of days...they dont accept money orders
    and since its going to take a while for the mail to get the money orders to the companies anyways...everything should come in at around the same time
    hopefully ill get everything by next sunday so i can go ahead and get everything set up so when i get my amps i can plug them in and go
    i have to break in these subs again...what a pain in the ****
    lol
    i wasnt going to order the 2nd capacitor till later but i decided i guess i better do it now...that way ill know the exact spacing of everything cuz with 4 amps space is going to be a little tight
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    you wanna talk about wire and **** -- NY power grid is down. oh yippee... my house didn't have power for like 2 days -- luckily I was about 80 miles south in the bloody wilderness.

so what's the zeb tellin ya? are they gonna for sure refund you your money on the two 450S's ?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    they were sposed to refund my money for the other one a couple weeks ago...i havent sent this other one in yet...probably within the next couple days
    -Cody