2-way vs 3-way Speakers?????

Options
Pauly
Pauly Posts: 4,519
edited August 2003 in Speakers
What is the true diff between a 2-way and a 3-way speaker?
Is it really that much of a sound diff? Or non at all? I mean my RTi70's along wiht my PSW350 and PSW404 seem to be fine. The mid range and high range goto the mains and the bass under 80 goes to the subs. Would 3 ways change this? Any input would help.

Mains RTi70
Center Csi 30
Subs Stacked PSW350, PSW404
Rears inthe works

"Ummmmmmm Melted Hog Fat" - H. Simpson :)
Life without music would
Post edited by Pauly on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited August 2003
    Options
    RTi70 is a 2.5 way. It is kinda like a 3-way. The RTi70 has some of the best mids in a Polk (rt) speaker. IMO. 3-Way (done right) is the ideal music speaker. Enjoy....RTi70 is a FINE speaker
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Pauly
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I was just reading your reivew on them. I have only had them about a month. Not that i am dissapointed but not sure if my amp does them justice. Its a Onkyo TXSR500. Any suggestions?
    Life without music would
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sid, the 70's are 2-way both woofers are crossed at 2.1kHz. The only 2.5-way speaker from Polk is the LSi9.

Spastic, it's the overall design: x-over, cabinet, driver material, etc that mekes the biggest difference. You can't really say a 2.5-way sounds better han a 2-way.

The difference with a 2-way vs a 3-way would be that in a two way, say you have one woofer and a tweeter, the tweeter wll be sent the high frequencies and the woofer will be sent the mids and lows.

In a 3-way, the tweeter gets the highs, a mid-woofer driver gets the mids and the woofers get the lows.

This is just a simplifed explanation. Even though the RTi70 have two woofers, they both play the same frequencies.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I thought Polk said the RTi70 is a 2.5 way?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It's 2-way. My 800i is also 2-way. I'm going to check the specs for the 70's to make sure.

Maurice
  • Pauly
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ok I get it. But on sound quality is there much of a diff?
    Life without music would
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The RTi70 has a much more open midrange (vocals, instruments, etc) than the RTi100 and the RTi150 -- this is MO, and nothing more. So don't comment on my post if you own the above mentioned please.

The RTi70 meets my preference in the midrange. I feel the RTi150 is alot more open than the i100. But I also feel Polk's RT line needs 2 woofers to really shine in the mids. Just my preference, and opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.