what do i need?

Options
standj77
standj77 Posts: 8
edited February 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey whats up, this is my first post. I just installed two 10 inch subs(DXI104). My question is, why am i not getting that trunk rattle? I had two kicker subs that banged foreal! Trunk rattle, rearview mirror shaking etc. The only thing i changed was the subs. The amp is MTX thunder with 400 rms; is that the problem? Do i need a bigger amp? and what about this break in period im hearing about? will that give me the sound i desire?
Post edited by standj77 on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited February 2011
    Options
    +1 D

On top of that, why's he on the Polk forum asking about anything BUT Polk (as a new member)?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,016
    edited February 2011
    Options
    the guy is asking about polk subs he just installed. but i agree about that rattle...ridiculous. I hate it when those cars pull up beside me. I mean I like bass, but I want it tight and controlled.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • standj77
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No, i havent changed anything. When i say rattle, i mean deep bass. Dude, your trunk can do that and not sound bad. I dont even get the rearview shaking effect. I like for people to hear me beating instead of all the bass being trapped inside the car. Dont get me wrong, thats fine but thats what i am used to.:cool:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Get rid of tose subs and go with a pair SSA Icons.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • standj77
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I forgot to mention i kept the kicker enclosure ad put the polks in there but that shouldnt be the problem
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited February 2011
    Options
    1. Yes, break in period is needed. I will not be surprised u damaged your polks by blasting the volume all the way up with all bass gains/boosts available the first minute u installed these subs.

2. Whats the size of your kicker enclosure? Whats the size needed for polks?

3. Whats polks rms ratings? Dvc or svc? What ohms is that 400 watts your amp does?

4. Either buy sound deadener or loosen up a few bolts and clips all around your car, both will work wonders depending on what it is you want to achive
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • standj77
    edited February 2011
    Options
    the subs are 270 watts each, i believe the ohms on the amp is 4. whats a sound deadener and how much they run?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2011
    Options
    screw a bunch of metal plates to the top of the trunk, you should get a lot of rattle then!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    Options
    standj77 wrote: »
    I like for people to hear me beating instead of all the bass being trapped inside the car. Dont get me wrong, thats fine but thats what i am used to.:cool:

Wow. So youre one of those generous types that doesnt want to keep all the wonderful music to yourself, you want to share it with others as you drive thru their neighborhoods at 3AM. You humanitarian you. I know I hate it when all my music stays trapped in the car with me.

The problem is the box. It was designed for the Kickers and Im gonna hazard a guess that it is a ported box. If it is, this is why it "banged foreal". The Polk's are SQ subs and generally work best in sealed enclosures.

If all youre wanting is to be the loudest kid in the high school parking lot, put the Kickers back in and sale the Polks. If youre wanting quality sub bass, youre gonna need to get a box that is better suited to those subs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited February 2011
    Options
    [QUOTE=MacLeod;1537633The problem is the box. It was designed for the Kickers and Im gonna hazard a guess that it is a ported box. If it is, this is why it "banged foreal". The Polk's are SQ subs and generally work best in sealed enclosures.
    [/QUOTE]

Generally yes, Polk is a SQ brand but DXI and DB subs (which if you ask me are the same exact subs/speakers, not even sure what the difference is between them expect for visual) actually come in Polk's vented enclosure.

to OP - you didn't answer my question #2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5n2BSILGGtS8SVmBXPlJVGwlqden5A36qiTBk9xRdox_sCooB

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2A2Zu7MMkg1KgYnXVKhL5qcAGfJhgF-4d6UirXQm7dskhOznS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8QprHctCais9Qp0VC9mienv_IDviDulFjbVuHsSkcDbMlmHxi
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,749
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The problem is the box. It was designed for the Kickers and Im gonna hazard a guess that it is a ported box. If it is, this is why it "banged foreal". The Polk's are SQ subs and generally work best in sealed enclosures.

I'm voting more for the genius has one of the subs wired out of phase and they are canceling each other out. If the box is ported, it'd still make noise out of the ports 'cause phase doesn't matter there but it'd be a vastly reduced SPL.

Vital wrote: »
    ...which if you ask me are the same exact subs/speakers, not even sure what the difference is between them expect for visual...

Well, I don't think anybody did ask but, did it ever occur to you that the DB line might be on the way out and the DXi line is the entry level replacement?

I'd check specs and descriptions but it seems Polk hasn't published a full set yet.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think you'll scared the kid away, you bunch of Audio snob's :tongue:. Maybe the issue isn't box size or polarity, maybe its the carboard box that he's running the subs in.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited February 2011
    Options
    does it have an air hole!!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • standj77
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yes, the box is ported, what difference would the sealed box make?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ported boxes are built tuned to a specific frequency and usually to work with a particular sub. At that certain frequency, a ported box will give out a lot more output than a sealed box at the same wattage. Problem is, the response isnt linear and below that frequency, it drops off pretty fast and so youve got a wicked response hump in the middle of your sub bass which will sound one note'ish. Guys that just want to be loud, this isnt a problem as you dont care how it sounds, just how loud it is.

If this box is built for that Kicker sub, it wont have the same performance if you stick a different brand and model of sub in there with different T/S parameters.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D