Polk in a small space

Options
phynigan
phynigan Posts: 2
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I have a dilema regarding my set up. With a space of about 18' long by 15' wide running the following:

Mains: RT1000i's
Center: BOSE VCS-10 center
Surrounds: FXi30's
Rcvr: Yamaha HTR5280 (5.1 x 100W/DTS)
Toshiba 36" Flat Tube
Motorola L-box cable box (optical out and S-video)
Sony DVD 5-disc changer
ALL Monster wire/interconnects/digital/optical
Monster PowerStrip 1000

The listening/viewing zone is less than two feet from a bay window. The FXi30's are the ones I need help with. I could put them on either side of the center bay window (~36" apart) directly above/behind me or about a foot ahead of me on either side. There is also a concern of acoustics with heavy curtains dressing the bay windows. Height is also a question with 10' ceilings, it's an old four-square Colonial house with plaster walls (Ugh).
What would be the best configuration for the rear surrounds?
Post edited by phynigan on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You could use either mounting point for those speakers. The best spot is sorta subjective. You are 16' away from a 36" TV?

In the rear, either side of the Bay window, about 6-7' off the ground, in Bipole mode. I would space them 6 feet apart, minimum.

In the front of you somewhat, about 6-7' off the ground, in Dipole mode.

Curtains are better than exposed glass, don't sweat about acoustics now, unless you want to spend even more money. It will sound fine.

My concerns would be how close they are to your listening position. If you are right up on them, in either config. you will place yourself in a null or at the very least, a not desirable position. The speakers need some radiating space for the sound to really get you.

Another consideration is, are you ever going to go 6.1 or 7.1? If so, or MAYBE, then mount them in front of you, that way you don't have holes to patch later. Plaster is a b*tch. And the rear center(6.1) can be placed right above the bay window later.

I think that you will get more effect, based on your listening position, if they are mounted, in front of you, in Dipole mode.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • phynigan
    phynigan Posts: 2
    edited August 2003
    Options
    With the furniture and HT cabinet set up it's more like ~10 feet from the TV.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    OK, cool, I was getting worried about your eyes. ;)

I also wouldnt call 18x15x10 small, thats a perfect size if you ask me. It could be that I have about the same size tho'....hmmmm
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.