Enclosure for MM1040-DVC

Options
drums101
drums101 Posts: 3
edited February 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi so I recently bought 2 MM1040-DVC the 10 inchers......I already have a Atrend 10tdxd dual side ported box....the box has volume of 1.3cubic feet per side.....My question is would I be able use this box and get alot of sound out of the subs??? I kno that polk reccomends a box with 2.06 cubic feet for two subs so my box has 2.6cubic feet.....would that be too large and cause me to lose sound? thanks
Post edited by drums101 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Shouldnt really make that big of a difference, at least not one that youd notice in real world listening.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited February 2011
    Options
    And if for whatever reason you don't like the sound you can always throw a piece of 2x4 inside the enclosure thus making it smaller internally. If you measure right you can actually make it to be EXACTLY what is recommended by Polk.

Beautiful thing about enclosures that are to big - you can always make them smaller ;)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • drums101
    edited February 2011
    Options
    has anyone had any experience with this combo of sub and enclosure?? is there a possibility that the ports could be too large? I had 2 JL 10w1v2 subs in there before and it sounded alot better when i covered like 2/3s of the ports with my arms.
  • drums101
    edited February 2011
    Options
    bump anyone have any input? thanks
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited February 2011
    Options
    drums101 wrote: »
    has anyone had any experience with this combo of sub and enclosure?? is there a possibility that the ports could be too large? I had 2 JL 10w1v2 subs in there before and it sounded alot better when i covered like 2/3s of the ports with my arms.

That's cuz you were literally right next to the sub when you were doing that, not half the car away separated by seat/covers/trims/... LOL :biggrin:
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,749
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You'll get alot of sound no matter what. But if you are concerned about being close to the ideal volume, get some wood, like a 2x4, cut up pieces that either singularly or when combined, equal the .54 cubic feet you have to make up and glue or screw them in to the inside of the box. Make sure you don't shroud the port on the inside of the box. If you're not competing for SPL, it won't be noticeable enough to be a concern. It'll take up the extra room and you don't have to change boxes. I would recommend **** them in so that you can remove them at a later date or even to adjust tuning of the enclosure to personal tastes.

The other option is to rebuild the box.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!