MM6501 tweeters, bi-amping

Options
kiepher
kiepher Posts: 4
edited February 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello. I bought a set of MM6501's recently and need some input. I accidentally crushed one of the tweeters while installing it, as it was hanging off the dash and the wind slammed the door on it. I bought a replacement tweeter and I was sent a tweeter for a MM5251. Do the 5.25s and the 6.5s use the exact same tweeter? I don't want to end up sending 125W to it and fry the replacement tweeter if it can't handle as much power :(

Also, I'm considering bi-amping. Do I have to worry about cone breakup running the mids from 100Hz up? And I would still run the tweets through the crossover, correct?
Post edited by kiepher on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yup. Same tweeter. Crossover points are different in the passive x-over I believe but the tweet is still the same.

Youll have no problem running the mids from 100 Hz and up. Youd actually want to run them lower than that like at least as low as 63. And yes, youd run your mids full range and then run the tweeter thru the x-over.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kiepher
    kiepher Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Thank you for the help! I just finished bi-amping them and wow, I was amazed by the midbass when I set the high pass lower like you said. Blends much better with the sub than my previous 5x7s.