-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2003
    What kind of box? Ported or sealed?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    oops...my mistake...shouldve told you that too huh?...sealed
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited August 2003
    Ah, oh well. I would have sold you my JBL GTO10 for 50 bucks. But I have an older model that is no good for sealed boxes. the cone isn't strong enough being as it's only laminate paper pulp. The newer GT100 subs will work in a sealed box of .75 cubic feet! Crutchfield has them for 90 bucks or two for 140! Awesome sub for the money! Handles about 250 watts RMS but I believe that that is underated. Mine has roughly the same rating but was running on 300 watts without a problem.

Sealed though, damn near anyone has a decent sub. Infinity, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Audiobahn, MTX, Bazooka, Sony and so on and so on. I'm sure you could get some higher level brands for 100 or less if you goto a discounter's site too. But you know, the warranty thing.

You may want to even look at a Visonik for 50 bucks. You can get two for 100 bucks and they handle 250 watts RMS. They sound OK, not great but they will make alot of noise with the rated peak RMS. Get a cheapy Profile CA800 for 180 bucks or a Profile CA1200 for for 280 bucks, throw the Visoniks in a dual 10 inch sub box, ported or bandpass and rattle at least some kidneys if not loose fillings!

But if you want quality, I'd splurge the extra 20 bucks and go for a Polk MM2104. It has some nice numbers for 120 bucks.

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2003
    I'm sorry but no sony car audio product can be refered to as "decent" more like **** in a box shaped like a sub... but that's just my opinion:D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Jstas
    edited August 2003
    for 100 bucks, I can find ALOT worse than Sony.

Pyle
    Urban Audio
    WHOOMP! (yes, there actually was a sub called WHOOMP!)

Ah hell, almost anything in a JC Whitney catalog is a good example.

• sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    sorry guys, but im doing this for a friend, im doing some research of my own, but i wanted a second opinion...i couldve sworn his box was sealed...but its actually ported...any suggestions on those?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    cody -- build the kid a new box -- two JBL GT100's in a sealed box off 500 watts will pound the **** out of anything else in the price range... why ? cuz the GT100 is 69 bucks at sounddomain with instant rebate...

now subs -- i mean i know these aren't all single 4 ohm coil 10's, but i dont know if this is a BIG 10" ported box that you can cut the hole bigger to fit a 12 or what -- ya know... so here's a bunch of subs... hit us back with the volume of this ported box and what kinda power he has to put to it and then somethin more specific will pop to mind hopefully...

for ported though....

ikesound.com has the alpine type R 12" dual 4 ohm coil subs for $103 bucks (ya 103 not 130).

ikesound also has an infinity perfect 10" that'll handle 350 wrms / work in a 1 cubic foot ported box ... $120 bucks http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/415

ikesound again with infinity reference 12" single 4 ohm -- for 65 bucks... pretty much the same sub as the JBL GT100... close but not identical... http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1351
    they list it at 2 cubes ported / 1.25 sealed. 300 wrms

Inf. refernce 10" dual 4 ohm coil -- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1350 -- 250 rms --- 1.75 ported / 0.75 sealed

i think ike has a 1 yr warranty on whatever they sell -- its "their" warranty tho.

onto sounddomain.... (where everything has warranty unless its a refurb then its like 90 days)

infinity kappa 10" 4 ohm coil - $95 after instnat rebate - 275 rms - 0.65 to 1 ft sealed, not reccomended for ported
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFKAPPA1003SE

kappa perfect 10.1 single 4 ohm coil - 125 bucks after instnat rebate - 350 rms -- 1.0 cubic feet ported.
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFPERFECT101

inf ref 10 single 4 - 65 bucks after ins reb
    275 rms / 1.75 ported / 0.75 sealed
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFREF1030W

phoenix gold titanium 10" RENEWED - $80 bucks ... 500 watts rms / single 4 ohm coil or dual 4 ohm coil - they have both available -- 0.75 to 1 cubic foot ported -- up to 0.55 sealed.

^^^ IF YOU CAN DO THIS SUB I WOULD DO IT ^^^
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHORTI10

xtant Z104 - 4 ohm 10" singel coil... $38 bucks on closeout (yes, under 40 bucks)200 wrms -- 1 to 2 cubic feet ported... http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/XTAZ104 -- its basically a glorified mtx 4000 sub with shiny paint.

sorry the best i can do on 2 am sleep night night time with more "Catch up" posts to go.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i think im going to recommend this one to him...he just wants something thatll hit...i told him id get him a good deal on something good...he doesnt have the money yet or anything...
    inf ref 10 single 4 - 65 bucks after ins reb
    thanks pbd and jstas
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    not a bad choice - they're decent, they're cheap, they ain't "da best" but they ain't "da worst" either... and it oughta work in just about any box you throw it in :)
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2003
    from my experience working with both of these brands i feel that the MTX Road Thunder subs hit harder than the inf reference (especially if he winds up getting one of last years models) the MTX's retail around 75 for a 10 with 200w RMS handling... for their cheap **** it sounds pretty good... If you still go with the infinity make sure it's the one with the solid white cone the ones with the raised black dust cap are crappy compared with the solid white with the convex dust cap... just my opinion:D :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    i agree MTXman - the black cap inf ref subs suck hardcore -- the ones with the inverted white cap are basically JBL GT's with some fine tuning, or just straight up JBL GT's... same guts... slightly different weight magnet, but basically the same sub from teh same manufacturer.

old road thunder's scare me... the foam surround doesn't sit well with me at all... i fear foam surrounds. i'll give you that they didn't sound bad though -- sucked on power... had a poorly made cone, but they sounded decent, and for 75 bucks, what the hell do you want, ya know :)
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2003
    you may be thinking of previous years road thunders which this years RT has greatly surpassed... for 75 bucks 200wrms is pretty decent... in the sound room at the CC i used to work at we had 2 10's running off of the 1501D and they were the only set of speakers that sounded good on that amp with the exception of the mtx8000 12"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    i thought u were talking like 4000 series. even though they're not officially road thunders, most people referred to them as RT's, myself included, due to the difft cosmetics and what not.

this years red RT's are really that much better ??

that's a bit of a surprise -- i figured with the 9500's coming out and the new 4500 sub that the road thunder sub would just be a piece of junk (As the 4500 kinda replaces the 4000, and looking for newer and better 6k's and 8k's in the future).

what's the deal with the sewn in surround as opposed to glue ?? you'd think its more expensive to machine sew a whole surround than to glue it -- and if it really was that much more rigid you'd also think they'd do it on the larger subs. confusing bit of trivia there...

i've yet to hear the new RT's -- prolly should go check em out -- i was at circuit city the other day and they haven't got any of the new polk stuff out -- they've got it in stock but you can't look at it, breathe on it, or touch it... its in the "back secret room" where they slap you with a wet noodle if you sneak in.

why are they carrying audiobahn now ? audioBLAH :mad:
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2003
    CC is carying audiobahn??? first i've heard of it....

I'd say the RT is at least 2x as good as the 4000... wich is odd since the rt is supposed to be a step down from the 4000 but whatareya gonna do... from my exp the RT has more pound, handles power better, and has better tonal quality than the 4000 (that is this years RT compared to last years 4000) I have yet to hear the 4500 so i have no opinion on them yet...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    CC just started carrying Audio-Blah last week -- i puked.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    the only audiobahn speaker ive ever heard was one of their lower line subs...i didnt think it sounded bad...but it seemed overpriced
    but ive heard(heard about...not actually heard) the flame q series arent bad spl speakers
    am i wrong?
    im looking at a crutchfield and its says the 12 handles 1100 watts rms and a rating of 96.4db's..thats why im asking
    anything over 93db is pretty rare
    but im guessing theyre made crappy?
    foam surround...
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i just looked at the next page and it has a sony xplod p5 aluminum cone series sub...one of those 5 sided ones
    it says it has a "foamed rubber surround"
    what the hell is that?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2003
    the sony? what is it? --- i have an answer.... it is what we call, in clinical terms, a pile of horse ****.

the audiobahns aren't really made bad -- i mean they use the rubberized foam surround by choice -- i'm no fan of it, but rubberized foam is leaps and bounds above "foam" foam (like JL w3's and kenwood subs). i doubt sony's foamed rubber is anything like the quality of audiobahn's foamed rubber... but anyway -- its more like audiobahn is designed bad... the stuff falls apart... its decent grade materials, but it just has this disgustingly high break down rate -- kinda like an old chevelle put together all wrong. and they dont stand behind the stuff either - tech support is no where to be found - and just try swappin somethin out on warranty - i've heard horror stories that make your trip with the zeb look like a holiday in vegas.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing