Towers as rear surround?

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Can I get everyone's opinion about uses a set of RTi100's as rear surrounds? I recently returned a set of RTi100' in exchange to get the RTi70's and I love the 70's. However, I just saw a pair of Rti100' for $207 each new on clearance at CC. My current set-up is: Denon 2803
Front= Rti70's (bi-wired)
Center = CSi40 (bi-wired)
Side surround= Rti38's
Rear surround = RTi28's
Sub = Sony 12" (will be replaced with a SVS in a few months)
I can return the 28's since I just got them. Will the 100's help the rear sound stage or make it uneven because of the powered subs?

Thanks for any input!
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Check out the little insert that comes with most if not all SACD's. matching speakers at all 5 locations is recommended for the best sound. Not very realistic for most people. I'd stick with the speakers you currently have, maybe use a Bipole/Dipole in lieu of a direct speaker for the surrounds. Just my $.02
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,056
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I still think the RTi100 or another RTi70 would make killer surrounds......
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Frank makes a good point, 5 identical speakers is the perfect world setup, but we all know this world (and our rooms) ain't perfect.

If it seems like a good deal to you, knock it out. You'll have 'fuller' rear ch's.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm looking for a good HT set-up. I do 90% movies. I paid $270 each for my original set of 100's and they sticker at $499 originally at CC so this seems like a steal, but will it sound better?
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I don't think its worth it. Like Russman said, they will be "fuller" sounding, but not an amazing amount. Midrange is better in the RTi70. HT rear doesn't get the kind of workout that the front stage does, specifically the center. The RTi100 in that surround mode just seems like a waste of resources.

In addition, you will be filtering them at your receiver anyways, so the extra lowend, will be moot. Go for better midrange, let the SVS handle the bass.

The RTi38's are fuller sounding than the 28's, and that would be a nice pickup in open box. If you are 90% movies, why no bipole/dipole? Just wondering, you still have a great setup.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I am not sold on the dipole/bipole sound. I know I am going to get lambasted for this one but is the dipole/bipole sound the same in principle as Bose direct/reflecting sound? If so, I have had the Bose 701 (before trading to the current polk set-up) and I hated the way they sounded so difuse. And also if the sound is refecting of off 2 or more surfaces before it gets to the listener (from side surrounds) won't the rear surround speakers have already reached the listener since they are pointed toward the listening position?
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    NO!!!! It's nothing like the Direct reflecting B.S. that Bose touts as the "Be all, End all" way to reproduce music. The Bipole/Dipole speaker will provide a great sound field because it does not direct the sound toward the listener, instead it provides a sound field that is dispersed and not localized. This really works well for movies that are action packed and make good use of the surround channels. Do your self a favor and try a set of Bi/Dipole speakers (Properly Calibrated!!) in your HT and you just might become a believer! No lambasting intended!!;)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It would also depend on how far back your rears are relative to your seating position. If they're far enough away to create a soundstage and imaging you're golden. If not you'll be overpowered by the closest speaker. Think table lamp vs flashlight as a comparison.

Some Bose actually make pretty good rears. I wish they still made the 401. The direct/reflecting and compressed fq. range make them ideal in concept, just not in sound.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Great point made by Frank and Gidrah.

Especially the one about seating position. I have a null with my FXi30's, that is extremely obvious in 5.1. They are mounted in Dipole configuration, and if you are right in "front" of them, or the "middle" of them I guess you could say, you really don't hear much.

Back up into the "sweet spot" and you are touching yourself like a schoolboy. Well, maybe that's just me, but you get it? Would you want to stand in a certain spot to get a surround effect? or sit almost wherever you want and get off? I am an HT guy, so the Bi/Di is something that I could not do without.

The analogy of light, is relative to the sound, in this explanation.

My future rear center is going to eliminate that null.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Stick with the bookshelfs for surrounds. There just isn't enough material coming from the rear to justify getting towers to get that extra 30 hz of freq. resp. especially with a sub and the speakers set to small. $400 can be much better spent on another aspect of your system, like amplifiers.

This all depends on your tastes, if you are hardcore 100% movies then maybe you should spend on the surrounds, but if you like music like I do, you'll get more enjoyment out of spending money on a different aspect of your system.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Also depends on your setup. I was limited because I could not mount my rears on the wall and could not find any stands that would be approved by the wife. I ended up getting the TR600i's for my rear to lift the sound off the floor and bring it to ear level. I am quite happy with this decision, so this is what is going to stay.

Try the 100's if you want, see how they perform but don't get too wraped up in the base a good sub will do a better job with the lows.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I bought a pair of FXi30's at CC to demo the di/bipole sound. Guess what! I love them. I am buying the FXi50's off of the Electrodude website tonight and taking the 30's back. The 50's are cheaper than the 30's plus they have a matching woofer to the rest of my set-up. So here is the final system:

Receiver = Denon 2803
    Front = Rti70's (biwired)
    Center = Csi40 (biwired)
    Side surrounds = Fxi50's
    Rear surrounds = Rti38's

I am done spending money! Except for that new SVS sub that is calling my name!

Thanks everyone!
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Your welcome!
    Another satisfied customer....
    NEXT!! ;)
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I recently was using the LS/FX speakers as surrounds and thought they were pretty good until I found a another pair of SDA2b's on the internet. Their was no comparison between the LS/FX as rears and the second pair of SDA2b's. The transition from front to rear is seamless and now I can not stand my center channel. It is a CS350 and it has now become the weakest link in the system. I told the wife I may have to make a center channel myself out of used parts. You should have seen her eyes roll. She said are you ever going to be happy with what you have. I quickly responded NO. But that is half the fun about this hobby.

On a side note I have a B&K Ref 20 and listen to a lot of music with the stereo signal going to both front and rear. I have found that the sound difference to be amazing using the 2 pairs of SDA 2B's.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread. I would recommend having matching front and rear speakers if your room allows it.
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Peck,
    You gonna be gettin rid of those LS/FXs and the CS350?
    :D
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I am currently using the LS/FX as surrounds in my HT setup in the bedroom. It is kind of of collection of replaced stuff. When I do replace the CS350 I will probably move it into the bedroom gear. I have a feeling that it will be a while before I do that though. Got to keep the wife happy :-)
  • AJ Audio
    AJ Audio Posts: 7
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It's totally fine to use tower speakers as you rears!